What are you reading? V1

Forge

4 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I just started The Torch That Ignites the Stars. I'm excited to be back to the Corin. I like Corin more Keras as a narrator. Wasn't a huge fan of Six Sacred Swords but I'll still read Soulbrand next. There's also a 4th book of Arcane Ascension that either just came out or is coming out this month?

Anyway, AA3, I love the spire chapters in particular. They just feel like D&D scenarios, you just know Andrew is huge RPG guy. 

I've finished them all at this point. Went AA 1 and 2, then the three WoBM, then the two SSS, back to AA3, SSS3, then AA4.

I'm with you in that I find Corin and AA so much more interesting than I do Keras and SSS. He's just not an interesting character and there are no stakes with him. He's too strong/smart/lucky in every encounter.

• Like 1

Reading Annihilation very gradually. It’s well written, especially for a first person mystery. The detail and character complexity is top notch. Generally I don’t have as much love for first person novels, as they’re always inundated with “I” and “me” in every other sentence. To me (a failed writer), it’s hard to see past it and was hard to avoid doing it myself. 

[spoiler](idk how to actually do spoiler tags or any forum code anymore) I am surprised how quickly the author did away with 4 out of the 5 characters pretty early on. I’m curious how it goes with just the protagonist meandering around by herself for the remaining 66% of the book. I vaguely remember the movie but I remember it doing a good job of timing out the companions deaths and making them feel more impactful[/spoiler]

On 12/6/2022 at 10:47 PM, Ty21 said:

Reading Annihilation very gradually. It’s well written, especially for a first person mystery. The detail and character complexity is top notch. Generally I don’t have as much love for first person novels, as they’re always inundated with “I” and “me” in every other sentence. To me (a failed writer), it’s hard to see past it and was hard to avoid doing it myself. 

[spoiler](idk how to actually do spoiler tags or any forum code anymore) I am surprised how quickly the author did away with 4 out of the 5 characters pretty early on. I’m curious how it goes with just the protagonist meandering around by herself for the remaining 66% of the book. I vaguely remember the movie but I remember it doing a good job of timing out the companions deaths and making them feel more impactful[/spoiler]

It ended up not being very early on lol, the book was only 120 pages. I’m reading the trilogy in a hardcover collection and I thought I had another couple hundred pages to go. I liked the first book, wish it would’ve had more things that go bump in the night, including that freaky bear from the movie lol. Maybe it’ll come in book 2 

• 2 weeks later...

Started Fairy Tale by Stephen King. Borrowing the ebook on libby, so I only have 14 days and probably won’t come close to finishing it in time before it’s in limbo and I have to wait for it again. It’s good so far, doesn’t feel like King outside of the adorable attempts to sound like a younger millennial (bugf***, ‘idiot box’ for television, referring to the internet as ‘the Net’). It almost feels like a more grownup Diary of a Wimpy Kid (my sons been reading it a bunch for school lol) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Started Fairy Tale by Stephen King. Borrowing the ebook on libby, so I only have 14 days and probably won’t come close to finishing it in time before it’s in limbo and I have to wait for it again. It’s good so far, doesn’t feel like King outside of the adorable attempts to sound like a younger millennial (bugf***, ‘idiot box’ for television, referring to the internet as ‘the Net’). It almost feels like a more grownup Diary of a Wimpy Kid (my sons been reading it a bunch for school lol) 

*doesn’t feel like King outside of the foreshadowing and dear god there’s significant foreshadowing every 10 pages or so. This is my least favorite thing King does, but on crack so far. 

16 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I just finished it. I liked it a lot, but typical King fashion the first half build up far exceeded the second half for me.