What are you reading? V1

Forge

3 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Probably one of the worst steven king books ever

He had a great run. He’s about 75 now, so it’s hard to imagine it will get better from here. The most recent work of his that I have read is The Green Mile, which was published in 1996. I hear he has put out a lot of good work since then though. Next on my list of his is 11-22-63, which is obviously much more recent.

I just finished This Storm by James Ellroy, and his writing is declining in his old age too (71 the year it was published). The plot is too intricate and there are too many characters to try to remember. However, I still enjoyed it. It’s just not even close to his best, which are American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand imo.

Edited by JohnChimpo

Bullet train

Love it so far. Im about 3/4 through

Very different tone than the movie (though i did like the movie)

Prince (the boy teenage analouge to the joey king character) is a very hateable villain character but very interesting one

Theres a lot more interplay between the man whos son is in a coma and prince.

Tangerine and lemon are pretty similar to the movie, except for physicial depiction, and i think thats a spot where the movie really excelled too.

The brad pitt analogue is more snealy woth diversions and tactics rather than action man.

In fact, 

Theres also a lot of human pscyohology laced throughout, especially from Prince

And definitely the protagonist is more fleshed out and it actually mostly the main character instead of the brad pitt character

This is a case where im glad the movie and book are similar (the broad strokes are there) yet very different (character relationships are very different, and the backstories it goes into are interesting)

Check it out

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 5:09 PM, Malfatron said:

Probably one of the worst steven king books ever

Like bad enough I should just read a synopsis?

On 3/1/2023 at 8:50 PM, JohnChimpo said:

Next on my list of his is 11-22-63, which is obviously much more recent.

I actually really liked it but I also am a sucker for time travel concepts. I even watch lame chick flicks if it features time travel lol 

On 3/1/2023 at 2:55 PM, Fresh Prince said:

The Mist was a quick fun read, not sure if I like the ending being the open ended but I expect they all died.

The movie ending launched it from forgettable 2000’s monster movie to totally unforgettable. Still think it’s one of the best movie endings I’ve seen. Book is just another ball drop in King’s million book ending ball drops 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 3:52 AM, Malfatron said:

Bullet train

Love it so far. Im about 3/4 through

Maybe my favorite book I read last year.

On 3/5/2023 at 3:52 AM, Malfatron said:

Theres a lot more interplay between the man whos son is in a coma and prince.

The one big thing left out of the movie that the book did a great job with. Was a great part of the story. I get that things had to be cut, but I appreciated this arc more from the book. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Maybe my favorite book I read last year.

The one big thing left out of the movie that the book did a great job with. Was a great part of the story. I get that things had to be cut, but I appreciated this arc more from the book. 

I legitimately had no idea you both can read Japanese. I’m impressed 

• Like 1