Let's talk Trent Brown

RaidersAreOne

Stood behind the team during the national anthem. He’s a great talent, but what good is that when you’re never on the field? Said last year that he could have played in they were in the playoff hunt, but the catch is the Raiders were and still decided to not play.

I said this when players were done opting out and I said I was surprised that he didn’t opt out. He gives me the vibe that maybe he doesn’t want to be out there at this time and is milking an injury. 

Really hope they do move on from him in the offseason. Paying to much money in the offense line so scaling back and going younger and cheaper is what’s best. 

• Like 1

Like I said before, if he doesn't play in 13 games (and 85% of the duration of those games, not leave at halftime, Week 1 doesn't count for example) then I'd rather move on, which is unfortunate.

I also get a lazy vibe from him as well and I hope a light switch clicks with him soon, as he is an absolute monster on the field and I would love to see him start at RT for us for the next several years.

Edited by BayRaider

29 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Trent=Coop IMO. Wants money. Wants to play for a contender. Really don't like him right now. Hope I'm wrong and he comes out and shuts down Cam on MNF. I'll shutup if he plays and we win. Lol. Wins make everything better.

He has money.

If he wants to play for a contender, he needs to help us be one. If not, he's lazy and can go play for someone else. 

He's one of those "can't miss what you never had" types to me at this point. 

He's like 380 pounds and hasn't been able to stay healthy throughout his NFL career. I think that he's actually dealing with a calf injury and the main reason he hasn't been able to recover is because he's overweight. I'm sure that we'll see him on the field again some time soon but I don't think he'll be back next season. 

• Like 1

No doubt Brown is a talented player and its probably not a single, simple issue. A bit aloof maybe, lazy maybe, overweight maybe, struggling with injury aswell. These are the kind if things you ought to really know before you make a guy the highest paid ever at his position. 

The trouble is when the FO is preaching team first ethic, hard work, grinding and buying in to what the coaches want you can't have one of your highest paid players not adhering to that as that undermines the coaches and the team philisophy.

Now, maybe it's just hearsay, rumour and there's nothing really wrong and not really a 'situation' but if there is it has to be nipped in the bud or else the FO will appear to be hypocritical and lesser paid and less high profile players will take offense at his preferential treatment. The FO have to be consistent and they'll have to cut him or trade him. The problem they would have is if they can string it along until his guaranteed money is gone or not severely restricting and if they do that will it affect the team in the meantime and cause rifts in the locker room. 

Obviously hope there's nothing to it and the explanation is simple as he's a very, very good player at a key position but usually where there's smoke there's fire. 

14 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Let’s see how it plays out... maybe we can flip him for a pick... maybe he puts it together, we overpaid his fat behind and now he is acting out. Smh 

I think we should be able to get something for him.  His contract is still big after this year but it is more inline with what he should be paid.  It also has zero dead money so the risk is only in the pick.  If he comes back and plays at a very high level it should be pretty easy.

13 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

It hurts that we would let him go after giving him $20+ million this year but at the same time at $14 million that is still a lot of cash for a RT.  If Good can hold down the spot for $2.5 million I see no reason to pay Brown $14 million.

It's week two, lets not overreact just yet. According to reports he was actually injured and had an MRI following the game. $14M is a lot of money for a RT but Brown has played at a borderline All-Pro level when he has been on the field. And Grudock has made it clear that the identity they're trying to build with our team is a smash mouth, run first type of offense. I'd also pump the breaks on Good holding down the spot long term. He's a guard that stepped in because of an emergency situation. He didn't get abused but he was also going up against a rookie defensive end. And even then Jacobs averaged less than 4 ypc for only the 4th game in his career and our passing game shifted to almost entirely short passes so Carr could get the ball out quick and Good wouldn't have to hold up for long in pass protection. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's week two, lets not overreact just yet. According to reports he was actually injured and had an MRI following the game. $14M is a lot of money for a RT but Brown has played at a borderline All-Pro level when he has been on the field. And Grudock has made it clear that the identity they're trying to build with our team is a smash mouth, run first type of offense. I'd also pump the breaks on Good holding down the spot long term. He's a guard that stepped in because of an emergency situation. He didn't get abused but he was also going up against a rookie defensive end. And even then Jacobs averaged less than 4 ypc for only the 4th game in his career and our passing game shifted to almost entirely short passes so Carr could get the ball out quick and Good wouldn't have to hold up for long in pass protection. 

I believe Good played RT before coming over and was considered a good RT.  I am not saying he is as good as Brown but at 1/6th the price and the ability to stay on the field makes him a better option in my opinion.  I would rather have a solid starter that plays 16 then an all pro that plays 8.  You do realize Brown is the 18th highest payed player this year and Good is the 24th highest paid RT in the league.   Brown's cap is just short of doubling the 2nd highest paid RT in the league.  If he can not get on the field it does not matter how good he is when he is on it.  I am not saying get rid of him right now or that we should trade him in the offseason.  What I am saying is conditional on him showing an inability to stay healthy going forward.  If he can not get on the field on a regular basis going forward we need to go in a different direction.

• Like 1