Assassin's Creed Origins

@Hunter2_1 @cddolphin

First of all the atmosphere of game is pretty awesome. The mix of big cities and vast desert landscape dotted with pyramids is pretty awesome. Alexandria is a massive city with a strong Greek feel to it while Memphis is basically a Venice like city which is pretty cool. The historical setting of the game is cool with them going in depth with how the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans all sort of interact in the country. 

Combat has been completely redone. You have tons of options for weapons, there are two types of sword and shield combos, a twin short sword set, axe, spear, warhammer/staff type thing and I think another type of weapon I'm blanking on. There are also several (I think four) types of bows that you can use. One is a long distance, high damage one that has a low number of arrows, another is your standard bow with more arrows but less damage and you need to charge up the shot to make it most effective, another fires five arrows which is good against large numbers of enemies and the last is a light bow that can fire extremely quickly and has a large number of arrows but does little damage in comparison to the others. You can carry two of each melee and bow weaponry and it's easy to switch to what weapon best fits the situation. All of the weapons have a rarity and the higher rarity objects have several types of bonuses to them like critical damage, critical chance, ability to set people on fire, etc and one feature I really like is that you can upgrade weapons as you progress to make them stronger. So for example if you find a rare sword that you like but quickly find better strength weapons you can upgrade your rare sword to make it as powerful as your current level allows. It's pretty awesome and lets you feel like you can use whatever things you like most. There is a ton of stuff you can customize and equip, here is an image of the gear page:

58033_91_assassins-creed-origins-microtr

You have things on the bottom you can level up with certain crafting materials which increase health, melee damage, range damage, number of arrows available, etc. You can customize the horse/camel you own as well. The abilities page is pretty huge and really does let you invest in what suits you best. They focus on stealth and bow skills, melee and tools. If you like the stealth and long range you can invest in some cool abilities, if you want to focus on physical strength and slashing through groups of people there is a tree for that and one that focus on cool gadgets like fire bombs, poison, taming animals, etc. It's a pretty huge page and you really have to pick and choose as you progress it looks like this:

assassins_creed_origins_abilities_skill_

The story line is only okay in my opinion. Nothing super new or overly interesting but you meet some interesting historical figures and explore some neat places. It still feels very much like an assassins creed game and the story doesn't really drag you into it but it's an enjoyable game that certainly has some major improvements on past installments. They've got a gladiator arena and chariot racing thing that I haven't really checked out too much. There are a lot of areas to explore and I'm pretty close to finishing the story and there are still probably six or seven areas I haven't been to which is cool. The modern day stuff is actually pretty limited and overall doesn't take much time and is just a minor annoyance than a major issue. If you like Assassin's Creed it's certainly their best effort in recent years but I wouldn't exactly call it a complete reinvention of the series. I got it through amazon for $44 when it came out and I'm not sure I'd be too keen on paying full price for it but that is sort of up to each person individually. 

@LeeEvans Thanks for that! Really helps. So a lot more levelling up, like an RPG, you'd say? Part of the appeal to me is the history and the scenery (i just like roaming and exploring sometimes...lol) so it looks like a good buy. I am slightly disappointed about the storyline though if that's the case - can't beat a good story, for me. Those historical figures....Cleopatra has to be one....

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@LeeEvans Thanks for that! Really helps. So a lot more levelling up, like an RPG, you'd say? Part of the appeal to me is the history and the scenery (i just like roaming and exploring sometimes...lol) so it looks like a good buy. I am slightly disappointed about the storyline though if that's the case - can't beat a good story, for me. Those historical figures....Cleopatra has to be one....

The story could be personal preference but it's more of same sort of assassinate these members of a shadow organization that pulls the strings behind everything. It's not bad but just not new or interesting, I suppose it's tough to deviate to far from that as. As for the historical figures, you might be right haha. There does feel like there is a lot more to do in the world for you to explore and do. Nothing that will blow you away but still thinks for you to track down and get for your progression. As you said it has a more RPG feel than others in the series but without being too much, it's a welcome change in my opinion. Overall I'd say it's a good get for Assassin's Creed fans and they did make some very nice additions but at the end of the day there wasn't anything that ever really blew me away and made me stop and say wow. 

55 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

The story could be personal preference but it's more of same sort of assassinate these members of a shadow organization that pulls the strings behind everything. It's not bad but just not new or interesting, I suppose it's tough to deviate to far from that as. As for the historical figures, you might be right haha. There does feel like there is a lot more to do in the world for you to explore and do. Nothing that will blow you away but still thinks for you to track down and get for your progression. As you said it has a more RPG feel than others in the series but without being too much, it's a welcome change in my opinion. Overall I'd say it's a good get for Assassin's Creed fans and they did make some very nice additions but at the end of the day there wasn't anything that ever really blew me away and made me stop and say wow. 

Thanks for this LE! Appreciate it.

52 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Lee, tell me what you don't like about it.

I mentioned before that I thought the story was pretty weak overall. I don't think it's a major deal but generally I just found myself uninterested in another rendition of shadow organization runs country and you stop them. 

My bigger complaint is that when it all boils down to it the game is basically a travel from point A to point B and either recover a document or assassinate some dude. When combined with the fact that are really only about maybe six or seven types of troop types to battle it gets a little grating doing random side quests and repeating the same thing over and over and over again. I didn't notice it earlier in the game since I hadn't played Assassin's Creed in a while but towards the end it gets much more noticeable and the game really need some more enemies or another style of combat or something. I think this is more of Assassin's Creed problem than anything with this specific game though. 

Those two points are really it though. I think it's the best Assassin's Creed title in a while and there seems to be a decent amount of stuff to do after you finish the main quest line which is nice. If you like Assassin's Creed I don't think you'd be disappointed, I wouldn't pay full price for the game and would probably wait for it to drop a bit but it's an enjoyable game.

19 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

If you like Assassin's Creed I don't think you'd be disappointed, I wouldn't pay full price for the game and would probably wait for it to drop a bit but it's an enjoyable game.

I'll probably wait for a sale or something then. Haven't paid $60 for a game in years and this won't be the one. Maybe for the new RDR but that's about it.

On 11/8/2017 at 4:11 PM, cddolphin said:

I'll probably wait for a sale or something then. Haven't paid $60 for a game in years and this won't be the one. Maybe for the new RDR but that's about it.

Mass Effect Andromeda has taught me to never pay opening day price.

Archived