Monday Morning QB: Browns 35, Bengals 30

west tx bengal fan

5 minutes ago, theJ said:

I was impressed with Burrow too, btw.  He's learning.  His mistakes this week were different than the ones last week.  He's figuring out what he can do at the NFL level.

I suspect if the line were blocking better for him, he would have hit a few deep balls by now and his stats would look a lot better.

The 0-2 record doesn't reflect it, but i think it's a good thing that he's throwing so much playing from behind.  It's a crash course, and he'll come out better bc of it.  Glass half full mentally here.

I agree, it'll be like a Peyton Manning rookie year, but with better stats because the NFL has handicapped defenses so much since the late 90's.  Priority 1 this next offseason is to get 2 upgrades on the offensive line.

20 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I agree, it'll be like a Peyton Manning rookie year, but with better stats because the NFL has handicapped defenses so much since the late 90's.  Priority 1 this next offseason is to get 2 upgrades on the offensive line.

Looks like we at least got a good one in Jonah.

20 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Looks like we at least got a good one in Jonah.

Yeah, I feel good about Jonah, and Hopkins is a passable center.  The other three spots need to be better.  A slim hope Michael Jordan keeps improving, but the right side of the line is a dumpster fire.

6 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Shouldn't Price be available for Sunday? He was dressed for the Browns game though he didn't play. He's certainly better at RG than Johnson. And what about Calhoun?

Who knows buddy, I think we all saw this coming, but it’s still early. Maybe it will gel, maybe...

On 9/22/2020 at 10:45 AM, theJ said:

You keep saying Schreck, but i expect that Sample will take about 90% of the TE snaps, and we'll see more 4 wide or 2 back sets.  I doubt we get as many 2 TE sets with Uzomah out.

Understood that Sample now is the #1.  Schreck, I think, becomes the TE who is best able to get downfield similar to the role that Uzomah played in double TEs... simply noted based on speed and agility.  I'm not sure whether Schreck's limited prior experience has him ready for this.  I don't think Sample is the guy to run the deeper TE routes... Carter either.  Uzomah had the tools to make the middle range TE catches, and Burrow was finding him.  Now maybe that option disappears unless Schreck steps up?

1 hour ago, west tx bengal fan said:

Understood that Sample now is the #1.  Schreck, I think, becomes the TE who is best able to get downfield similar to the role that Uzomah played in double TEs... simply noted based on speed and agility.  I'm not sure whether Schreck's limited prior experience has him ready for this.  I don't think Sample is the guy to run the deeper TE routes... Carter either.  Uzomah had the tools to make the middle range TE catches, and Burrow was finding him.  Now maybe that option disappears unless Schreck steps up?

They will roll with less 2 TE sets, they already were one of the higher 3 WR teams in the league. 

1 hour ago, west tx bengal fan said:

I think the option just disappears.  More WRs on the field now, imo.  I doubt they try to shoehorn Schreck into any sort of role.  In fact, i'd bet his snaps don't increase much, if at all.

I've said for two years that tate should be running the TE flex out routes.  Now he is actually the best option by far for it, so make it happen.  You just can't line him inline.  Green and Higgins outside, Boyd in the slot, Tate in the flex.  Mixon and/or Gio out of the backfield or lined up tight to the formation.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

I've said for two years that tate should be running the TE flex out routes.  Now he is actually the best option by far for it, so make it happen.  You just can't line him inline.  Green and Higgins outside, Boyd in the slot, Tate in the flex.  Mixon and/or Gio out of the backfield or lined up tight to the formation.  

That'd be fun to see.  He's a matchup problem for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

I’ve said it for 3 years