Giants fear RB Saquon Barkley tore ACL

RaidersAreOne

I love Saquon, always have. It sucks to see this happen to him, especially in a year when he would have been playing for a bigger contract. Fortunately ACL tears are not as debilitating as they once were, so I hope to see him back and better than ever. 

In the meantime the Giants will need someone else to step up. Gallman is a solid back, Javon Leake is still out there, and I heard Devonta Freeman visited them today.

I like Saquon as a person.  I liked the pick at the time.  His rookie season was tremendous, and I hope he heals and gets back to that 2018 level.

However, after doing a lot of research this past offseason, I'm ready to admit Saquon was a bad pick.  He's a boom or bust runner.  He has a high rate of big runs, but also a high rate of negative or zero yard runs.  It was a minor critique of him as a prospect, and it translated to his NFL career.  He's too hesitant to hit the hole for a few yards.  He's not a grinder.  I don't think he gets his second contract with the Giants.  I think he's soured on the Giants for not providing him with a better O-line, and I don't think the Giants are going to give him the money he wants.  I'd love to be wrong.  I'd love for Saquon to come back from his ACL like Adrian Peterson did, but I don't see it happening.

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

I like Saquon as a person.  I liked the pick at the time.  His rookie season was tremendous, and I hope he heals and gets back to that 2018 level.

However, after doing a lot of research this past offseason, I'm ready to admit Saquon was a bad pick.  He's a boom or bust runner.  He has a high rate of big runs, but also a high rate of negative or zero yard runs.  It was a minor critique of him as a prospect, and it translated to his NFL career.  He's too hesitant to hit the hole for a few yards.  He's not a grinder.  I don't think he gets his second contract with the Giants.  I think he's soured on the Giants for not providing him with a better O-line, and I don't think the Giants are going to give him the money he wants.  I'd love to be wrong.  I'd love for Saquon to come back from his ACL like Adrian Peterson did, but I don't see it happening.

This is harsh coming from you.

Saquon still has another year on his contract @ $10M. We also have the 5th year option which I’m guessing will be around $12M-15M. 2 years is a long time for a football team. A lot can happen.

That said, I don’t think we should re-sign him and that was my opinion before his latest injury. It’s not a position we should be putting major resources into. 

As I said above, 2 years is a long time. A lots going to happen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

Saquon still has another year on his contract @ $10M. We also have the 5th year option which I’m guessing will be around $12M-15M. 2 years is a long time for a football team. A lot can happen.

That said, I don’t think we should re-sign him and that was my opinion before his latest injury. It’s not a position we should be putting major resources into. 

The Giants have to make a big decision about whether to pick up the 5th year option.  They have to make that call next May, and we won't know how Saquon looks coming off the injury at that point.  If Gettleman is a goner, I don't know if his successor picks up Saquon's option.  That's expensive for a RB coming off a torn ACL with 1 good season under his belt. 

5 hours ago, Acgott said:

I believe I was the lone person on here that was against drafting Barkley. If we really wanted a running back we should have taken Nick Chubb in the second round. That being said you don't let great players go and Barkley is a great player. We are not going cut him so he is coming back next year and there is no harm in extending him a 5th year as well. I am sure the next GM shall have this offensive-line fixed which will allow Barkley to be the game changer and game breaker that he is.

2 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

I believe I was the lone person on here that was against drafting Barkley. If we really wanted a running back we should have taken Nick Chubb in the second round. That being said you don't let great players go and Barkley is a great player. We are not going cut him so he is coming back next year and there is no harm in extending him a 5th year as well. I am sure the next GM shall have this offensive-line fixed which will allow Barkley to be the game changer and game breaker that he is.

Oh no. I was 100% against him. I was QB or pass rusher/Front 7

I recall quite a bit of us being apprehensive about the pick. That much equity vested in a position that is so prone to injury and has such a short lifespan. He may generational and of elite skill but if you keep running him into brick walls of course he's going to spend most of his career injured. I'm just baffled that so much offensive change over, so many different OC's and Olineman and they STILL cannot get this man consistent lanes to run through. He's absolutely lethal once he's passed the line, but it's just way to often he's having to make a move in the backfield because someone missed their block or was beaten instantly. I put very little blame on SB for his struggles, just like I put very little blame on DJ for his strip sack turnovers. I put a whole lotta blame on DG who is supposed to be an offensive line guru and as failed to field one that can enable our most lethal weapon to even have a chance.

• Like 1