49ers DE Nick Bosa tears ACL; Out for season

RaidersAreOne

We can’t be rash about the rash of injuries, but the NFL and NFLPA must study these especially closely. The kneejerk reaction to the injury epidemic—torn ACLs for certifiable stars Saquon Barkley and Nick Bosa on Sunday, and lesser injuries could keep Jimmy Garoppolo, Drew Lock, Anthony Barr and Davante Adams sidelined for a week or more—is that without preseason games and normal training camps, players enter the season less used to contact and top speeds than usual. Could be. In the case of the 49ers injuries, the NFL should also look into the turf at MetLife Stadium.

think one other thing has to be considered: the loss of a legitimate offseason program, with organized and enforced strength and conditional and speedwork for nine or 10 spring weeks. That vanished this year. Teams trusted players to work out on their own. For the Tom Bradys, workout and health freaks, it’s a given they’ll find a way to get in their work. But I recall a story from the summer, with Austin Ekeler of the Chargers telling me he’d go to a local California park and do chin-ups on the same monkey bars schoolchildren use at recess. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s not the kind of conditioning NFL players are used to.

Peter King on the injuries.

8 hours ago, Xenos said:

We can’t be rash about the rash of injuries, but the NFL and NFLPA must study these especially closely. The kneejerk reaction to the injury epidemic—torn ACLs for certifiable stars Saquon Barkley and Nick Bosa on Sunday, and lesser injuries could keep Jimmy Garoppolo, Drew Lock, Anthony Barr and Davante Adams sidelined for a week or more—is that without preseason games and normal training camps, players enter the season less used to contact and top speeds than usual. Could be. In the case of the 49ers injuries, the NFL should also look into the turf at MetLife Stadium.

think one other thing has to be considered: the loss of a legitimate offseason program, with organized and enforced strength and conditional and speedwork for nine or 10 spring weeks. That vanished this year. Teams trusted players to work out on their own. For the Tom Bradys, workout and health freaks, it’s a given they’ll find a way to get in their work. But I recall a story from the summer, with Austin Ekeler of the Chargers telling me he’d go to a local California park and do chin-ups on the same monkey bars schoolchildren use at recess. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s not the kind of conditioning NFL players are used to.

Peter King on the injuries.

I have to think S/C coaches used Zoom and other technologies to monitor and manage workouts...

I mean, right? There's more oversight to Strength/Conditioning coaches than letting a guy go do pullups at the park and calling it conditioning?

44 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I have to think S/C coaches used Zoom and other technologies to monitor and manage workouts...

I mean, right? There's more oversight to Strength/Conditioning coaches than letting a guy go do pullups at the park and calling it conditioning?

You would think so. But many NFL teams didn’t even know how to Zoom until Covid forced them to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Bet that they wish they had Alton Smith back right now.  

Who is Alton Smith? Is that Aldon's younger brother?

And I'm willing to guess that the answer to that is probably is nah, that's okay. He's doing fine where he's at