49ers DE Nick Bosa likely tore ACL

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Forge said:

We aren't bad enough to get a top 10...I think we could get close to the top 10 depending on how the rest of the injuries play out. That being said, knee jerk reaction or not, I do believe that the season is toast. I'm not sure how good or bad the team will actually be, but I don't think that there is any chance at the super bowl, and that's what we all want to see 

THIS! 

The Revenge Tour has officially been postponed. Who knows how many more players we'll lose next week on that turf. My stomach is turning just thinking about it...

• Like 1

I get what you all are saying, but Jimmy G and Sherman will hopefully be back in a few weeks.  You all play the Giants next week, who aren't that good.  Then you have the 0-2 Eagles and the 0-2 Dolphins.  After that, Sherman and Jimmy G could be back.  The fact that some people have the mentality to give up on the season is comical, imo.

Now, if Jimmy G was out all year, then fine.  Guy might miss a few games when you all play against teams that have a combined 0 wins lol

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

I get what you all are saying, but Jimmy G and Sherman will hopefully be back in a few weeks.  You all play the Giants next week, who aren't that good.  Then you have the 0-2 Eagles and the 0-2 Dolphins.  After that, Sherman and Jimmy G could be back.  The fact that some people have the mentality to give up on the season is comical, imo.

Now, if Jimmy G was out all year, then fine.  Guy might miss a few games when you all play against teams that have a combined 0 wins lol

Finish with the worst record, finish as the loser in the super bowl. All the same. 

This team isn't good enough to win a super bowl this year at this point. That's fine. It's just 3 hours of weekly entertainment. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Finish with the worst record, finish as the loser in the super bowl. All the same. 

Pretty much. With Bosa likely gone for the year, its very much unlikely for the defense to be even close to what they were last year. And the defense was a HUGE part of our success last year.

So you're banking on the offense to suddenly go toe-to-toe and throw-for-throw with teams like the Saints and Chiefs. Not sure that's possible right now.

I think Jimmy missing a month only further delays the offensive cohension and chemistry. And he hasn't shown much to this point this year anyways so we don't know if he's improved from last year. 

If we're not capable of getting back to the SB, which with our injuries is not looking good at this moment, everything else is moot. I'd rather get a top 10 pick than to get bounced in the divisonal round. Not saying I've given up on the season but my expectations for this team have changed considerably with the losses we sustained today.

There's no trophies for second place. You don't get rewarded for finishing top four...this ain't European soccer.

I'm ok with starting this thing over again next year and seeing where we stand. It was always SB or bust for me this year. I would have put our roster up against anyone's. Just have to see if the rest of the league gets their fair share of injuries as the season progresses. 

I mean, once you make the playoffs, things can happen in a one game elimination.  I think the Niners have a legit shot to beat the Giants, Eagles and Dolphins the next three weeks, even with all the injuries.  If they did they'd be 4-1 with Sherman and Jimmy G coming back, potentially. 

Most people wouldn't have predicted the wild card Giants getting through the NFC and then beating an undefeated Pats team, but stuff happens.  But hey, if you all want to give up on the season, then by all means.  I'm hoping the players on the Niners feel the same way.... would make it much easier for the Seahawks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

I mean, once you make the playoffs, things can happen in a one game elimination.  I think the Niners have a legit shot to beat the Giants, Eagles and Dolphins the next three weeks, even with all the injuries.  If they did they'd be 4-1 with Sherman and Jimmy G coming back, potentially. 

Most people wouldn't have predicted the wild card Giants getting through the NFC and then beating an undefeated Pats team, but stuff happens.  But hey, if you all want to give up on the season, then by all means.  I'm hoping the players on the Niners feel the same way.... would make it much easier for the Seahawks.

Without bosa, this defense isn't likely to be the same. We are already without Buckner from last year. This team has to be perfect to win with Jimmy G under center, things are far from that. 

I wouldn't even give us the greatest odds to make the playoffs. I think the defense is going to take a huge step back at this juncture. I don't know who leads this pass rush now. It's not even funny how much better bosa is than everyone else. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, showtime said:

The issue is Nick Bosa is a huge part of our defense. Without him and missing Buckner I simply don't see the defense being the same and that was huge in the Niners run last season. 

• Like 1

We’ve had guys step up in the past. Does Bosa in particular make this team much better? Sure. But we went from super bowl hopefuls to let’s get a top 5 pick? Come on guys, not a chance. It’s still a good team. Will need some serious luck to be Super Bowl champs but who knows what will happen. Let’s not write off the season yet. It’ll be tough, but I expect the offense to improve vs last year for sure. Let’s see how much they can carry the team through the stretch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

This team isn't good enough to win a super bowl this year at this point. That's fine. It's just 3 hours of weekly entertainment. 

I understand the comment but I disagree. 

Great QBs can mask a lot of other problems, so I look to Jimmy and the offense to step up when he comes back and elevate the team. 

If that doesn't happen, then I am fine with selling the farm to get a top flight talent in the draft at QB 

That's the way out of this, with good QB play that can cover up other deficiencies

We have a great coaching staff on offense. We still have players that fit the scheme. It's early enough to figure some things out. 

We still have an incredible secondary, Fred Warner is fantastic, the dl is still a strength, but obviously not the same as before 

Anything can happen in the playoffs. Just gotta get there and then it's just - go win a game with the guys you have 

Let's not make definitive statements about where this team is going and let things play out. 

It's week 2. Loooooong way to go 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

Great QBs can mask a lot of other problems, so I look to Jimmy and the offense to step up when he comes back and elevate the team. 

We don't have a great QB, that's why things have to be perfect around him. And he may be out a few weeks to boot lol

If we had a great quarterback, I wouldn't think we are in as much trouble as I do

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

We don't have a great QB, that's why things have to be perfect around him. And he may be out a few weeks to boot lol

If we had a great quarterback, I wouldn't think we are in as much trouble as I do

Right, that's my overall point. 

The next few weeks are about surviving and adjusting 

When Garoppolo comes back it's time to be "that dude". If he isn't up for it, then we need to actively look to draft someone to be that guy 

Is it certain that he will be that dude? No, he needs to go prove it. That doesn't mean it's not possible though 

22 minutes ago, N4L said:

When Garoppolo comes back it's time to be "that dude". If he isn't up for it, then we need to actively look to draft someone to be that guy 

Is it certain that he will be that dude? No, he needs to go prove it. That doesn't mean it's not possible though 

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, we already know my opinion on that. But it'll be fun to really put him to the test in it to know for sure. Time to be a big boy

Very odd to hear the chirping of fans here giving up on the season and wanting a top draft selection, but when it came down to beating the Rams in 2017 or Seahawks in 2018 or securing a higher draft pick when the season was definitively already lost the message around these parts was "always root for your team". 

The 49ers are 1-1 with the softer part of their schedule upcoming. I want to see how they fare with a skeleton crew, and perhaps over the next three weeks if they are 2-1 or 3-0 maybe Jimmy/Sherman can return to the starting lineup. I do think the defense will be toast without Bosa, but at the same time the playoffs have expanded to 7 teams this year per conference. Depending how things shake out, even an 8-8 record can still get them in the dance. Until the team is eliminated via the math, I want to see how it all unfolds out. 

Also, I don't agree with the notion that finishing last is the same as finishing in 2nd. I would have much rather been a Chiefs/Bills fan in the 1990s compared to being a Bengals or Saints fan. Both teams didn't win anything, but one team's fanbase clearly had a better experience during the decade. Quality football for me is all I ask for as a fan at the minimum. I never, never want the 49ers to go back to the dark days of the 2000's with how terrible the organization was run from top to bottom. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Very odd to hear the chirping of fans here giving up on the season and wanting a top draft selection, but when it came down to beating the Rams in 2017 or Seahawks in 2018 or securing a higher draft pick when the season was definitively already lost the message around these parts was "always root for your team". 

There were a couple of loud voices with that opinion, but I remember plenty of people upset about the Rams win in 2016 lol (assuming that's the one you meant?). 

I think playing the result in 2018 has led to that fading into oblivion (we still ended up with bosa), though people were plenty happy with that victory, I will agree.

But overall, I think that there's been quite a shift in posters since then.

Wishing for a top five pick... That's just not going to happen. We are too talented for that overall. Bad luck prevails, I think the floor is 6 wins. I think the ceiling is probably about 9 right now?

The back half of the schedule will be rough, and doesn't help that we play in the toughest division in football. 

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Also, I don't agree with the notion that finishing last is the same as finishing in 2nd. I would have much rather been a Chiefs/Bills fan in the 1990s compared to being a Bengals or Saints fan. Both teams didn't win anything, but one team's fanbase clearly had a better experience during the decade. Quality football for me is all I ask for as a fan at the minimum. I never, never want the 49ers to go back to the dark days of the 2000's with how terrible the organization was run from top to bottom. 

Eh, doesn't do much for me either. I just end up looking forward to different things. When we are awful, waiver day is a big day. The draft is the super bowl. Things like tcmd become way more interesting because you get to treat it like Madden lol