RaidersAreOne

49ers DE Nick Bosa likely tore ACL

I just want to throw out there that there was only a half-seriousness with my comment about tanking. I don't want the Niners to lose on purpose obviously. But I can also see that with these losses, especially Bosa, puts a big dent on our effectiveness as a team. 

1991 the team was 4-6, and Steve Young went down with a knee injury. He missed over a month. Team finished 10-6. 

1995 the team losses Steve Young for like 5 or 6 games. The team starts out 5-4 with back to back home losses to the lackluster Saints and expansion Carolina Panthers. William Floyd was also lost in addition to not having Deion Sanders since he was a Cowboy now. Everyone thought they would get killed against 8-1 Dallas on the road with Elvis Grbac starting. They go out and kill Dallas on the road, and finish the season 11-5. 

No this team doesn't have Jerry Rice or Steve Young. No the NFC West isn't as weak as it used to be at that time, but there is still a lot of talent on the roster even with the injuries stacking up. And a great coaching staff without any behind the scenes bull**** drama from the top brass like the Harbaugh era. Guys will come back including the starting QB. Packing it in after week 2 when the team is 1-1, essentially preparing your mindset for the draft is lunacy. At least with a team that was just in the Super Bowl. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Eh, doesn't do much for me either. I just end up looking forward to different things. When we are awful, waiver day is a big day. The draft is the super bowl. Things like tcmd become way more interesting because you get to treat it like Madden lol

Well, the 49ers weren't awful last year, so it's hard for me to share the notion that finishing 2nd is the same experience as the fans of the Bengals just came off of last year. Despite the loss, this past year was one of the most entertaining seasons I've experienced as a 49ers fan. I'll also counter by saying it really didn't matter what the draft was going to turn out to be, trade deadline, whatever when the entire organization from top to bottom was doo doo during the mid 2000's. It just seemed hopeless with who was in charge. Even if Aaron Rodgers was picked in 2005, the 49ers would have botched that I'm betting. With new Jed in control along with Lynch, and Shanahan, I've never felt like the future was hopeless even before 2019.

So in conclusion while I can understand your perspective to a degree...

Better You Than Me - Better You Than Me | Make a Meme

In all seriousness, to each their own. I do hope you change your tune in regards to the outlook on the rest of the season if the 49ers string some wins together. :) 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Well, the 49ers weren't awful last year, so it's hard for me to share the notion that finishing 2nd is the same experience as the fans of the Bengals just came off of last year. Despite the loss, this past year was one of the most entertaining seasons I've experienced as a 49ers fan. I'll also counter by saying it really didn't matter what the draft was going to turn out to be, trade deadline, whatever when the entire organization from top to bottom was doo doo during the mid 2000's. It just seemed hopeless with who was in charge. Even if Aaron Rodgers was picked in 2005, the 49ers would have botched that I'm betting. With new Jed in control along with Lynch, and Shanahan, I've never felt like the future was hopeless even before 2019.

So in conclusion while I can understand your perspective to a degree...

Better You Than Me - Better You Than Me | Make a Meme

In all seriousness, to each their own. I do hope you change your tune in regards to the outlook on the rest of the season if the 49ers string some wins together. :) 

Everybody has their own fandom experience and perquisites. Last year was unexpectedly fantastic...until it wasn't.

I don't like going to SBs and losing. Ive said this before but I'd much rather not get there at all than to go and lose. Makes no sense really because you have to be in the game to win the game, I know...that's just how I view it.

I take no solace in the fact we had a great season and we exceeded expectations. We didn't get the job done so we were no different than the Bengals in my eyes  Neither one of us won a thing. NFC Championship trophies don't mean **** in the grand scheme of things. When's the last time you heard a fan bragging about how many times they won their conference??

All last year did was prove that we have now arrived as one of the frontrunners in the conference and the NFL. It means going forward, we SHOULD be in contention for the SB for a good little while. So the expectations have risen. And now that it looks like injuries may have derailed expectations for THIS year, I'd much rather be a middle of the pack team and grab a somewhat high draft pick than scratch and claw for a playoff spot, only to get bounced in the wildcard or divisional round.  

Now that's not the same as saying I want us to lose every game just to get a top 5 pick. Absolutely not. I WANT us to win every game possible. But in the grand scheme of things, if it looks like we don't have a legitimate shot in 6-8 weeks of making a possible SB run, I wouldn't be mad at all if we stumbled across the finish line to a top 10-15 pick. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Everybody has their own fandom experience and perquisites. Last year was unexpectedly fantastic...until it wasn't.

I don't like going to SBs and losing. Ive said this before but I'd much rather not get there at all than to go and lose. Makes no sense really because you have to be in the game to win the game, I know...that's just how I view it.

I take no solace in the fact we had a great season and we exceeded expectations. We didn't get the job done so we were no different than the Bengals in my eyes  Neither one of us won a thing. NFC Championship trophies don't mean **** in the grand scheme of things. When's the last time you heard a fan bragging about how many times they won their conference??

All last year did was prove that we have now arrived as one of the frontrunners in the conference and the NFL. It means going forward, we SHOULD be in contention for the SB for a good little while. So the expectations have risen. And now that it looks like injuries may have derailed expectations for THIS year, I'd much rather be a middle of the pack team and grab a somewhat high draft pick than scratch and claw for a playoff spot, only to get bounced in the wildcard or divisional round.  

Now that's not the same as saying I want us to lose every game just to get a top 5 pick. Absolutely not. I WANT us to win every game possible. But in the grand scheme of things, if it looks like we don't have a legitimate shot in 6-8 weeks of making a possible SB run, I wouldn't be mad at all if we stumbled across the finish line to a top 10-15 pick. 

Yeah I know your feelings about it. It's definitely with the benefit of hindsight as your ally, but like you said everyone's fan experience is unique, and there are no rules. 

I'm still in it to win it. our defense minus Bosa drops down a quite a bit but if all the other pieces are that currently hurt(Ford, Sherman) are ok then we should be fine. However, it will all depend on one man, Jimmy G. Sadly he's probably not playing for a couple of weeks but if he makes that leap, I think we could still make some noise.

AA, Ford, DJJ, Kinlaw, Blair, Hyder, Givens, Street and  possibly Ansah with our LB crew and a healthy secondary is STILL better than what most teams roll out weekly.

But wouldn't that be something. Jimmy got hurt and it landed us Bosa. Bosa gets hurt and it lands us a Lombardi because Jimmy takes the next step....

Edited by NcFinest9erFan

I don't usually dip much into doom and gloom...but we have to admit that Bosa is our most relentless and fiercest pass rusher. Because of this crap for a playing field, he may be gone for the rest of the season. With Jimmy G gimpy as well as George, it isn't looking good at all. Add to the situation the fact that the rest of our division is doing pretty well...hope for even the playoffs is not realistic. Super Bowl victory? Uhhhhhhh.....nope.

23 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I don't usually dip much into doom and gloom...but we have to admit that Bosa is our most relentless and fiercest pass rusher. Because of this crap for a playing field, he may be gone for the rest of the season. With Jimmy G gimpy as well as George, it isn't looking good at all. Add to the situation the fact that the rest of our division is doing pretty well...hope for even the playoffs is not realistic. Super Bowl victory? Uhhhhhhh.....nope.

hope.jpg

• Like 1

I think there's a definite utility to Tanking. We've seen it help some franchises, if timed correctly...and obviously making the right pick. But I don't think we're bad enough to be in the Fields/Lawrence discussion. IF we were, I think you take either and figure it out later with Jimmy G. But I doubt that happens. 

But We're way too good to be tanking. That's not just soy, it's damaging to the culture they've built here. If we end up in the top 10 (totally plausible) it will be rought. But I seriously doubt we go 6-10 getting punked the whole time. Going to be like 2017 or w.e where we just kept barely losing. 

24 minutes ago, John232 said:

I think there's a definite utility to Tanking. We've seen it help some franchises, if timed correctly...and obviously making the right pick. But I don't think we're bad enough to be in the Fields/Lawrence discussion. IF we were, I think you take either and figure it out later with Jimmy G. But I doubt that happens. 

But We're way too good to be tanking. That's not just soy, it's damaging to the culture they've built here. If we end up in the top 10 (totally plausible) it will be rought. But I seriously doubt we go 6-10 getting punked the whole time. Going to be like 2017 or w.e where we just kept barely losing. 

Here's the thing, our roster was universally recognized as a top 3-4 roster in the league in the offseason. Even without Bosa, it would have been at least top 7-10. Now, who knows how the rest of the injuries go, but if he's really the only key contributor being out for the rest of the season, then the team is still going to be competitive and have a good shot at the playoffs. If Jimmy ends up missing six games and BDN completely craps the bed? Then sure, it will be 2018 all over again with a bunch of close losses. But this team will still be in the playoff hunt well late into the season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If Jimmy ends up missing six games and BDN completely craps the bed?

Nick Foles is on the Bears 

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Depends on how the players look, what teams we beat, how the rest of the conference looks, etc. Evaluations are subject to change. I didn't think that we were a super bowl contender last year until I did. You know how it goes. 

I'm not advocating tanking - what I'm talking about is strictly an evaluation on the team and where I Think it now stands as constituted. I think we are likely fringe wild card type contenders? Somewhere between 6 - 9 wins makes a good deal of sense to me. 

5 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Probably the wrong thread but out of curiosity - what's the next QB after Lawrence for next years Draft?

Justin Fields and then likely Trey Lance, but Lance is a really tricky one. 

4 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I'm still in it to win it. our defense minus Bosa drops down a quite a bit but if all the other pieces are that currently hurt(Ford, Sherman) are ok then we should be fine. However, it will all depend on one man, Jimmy G. Sadly he's probably not playing for a couple of weeks but if he makes that leap, I think we could still make some noise.

AA, Ford, DJJ, Kinlaw, Blair, Hyder, Givens, Street and  possibly Ansah with our LB crew and a healthy secondary is STILL better than what most teams roll out weekly.

But wouldn't that be something. Jimmy got hurt and it landed us Bosa. Bosa gets hurt and it lands us a Lombardi because Jimmy takes the next step....

Shanny had an interesting quote on the radio the other day, saying something along the lines of, when he first became a head coach, he was still in the mindset of being an offensive coach and just putting up points. He said over the years he realized he needed to think more about his team holistically, and focus on what they needed to do to win.  He mentioned the Saints and the Green Bay games in particular. One, he knew was going to be a shootout, and that's how he coached, the other the D had 3 turnovers and three sacks and the running game was beasting, so he let them take care of the game. 

I'm fairly confident that Shanny can get wins with what he has available to him on this current roster, at least enough to keep us in contention until we get healthier.