Week Two Recap: Defense Sleeps, then Feasts, Packers Roll

mikebpackfan

12 hours ago, James Lofton said:

Like many posters I'm pleased with the play of the OL and Rodgers and RBs and even the WRs :)

However, I'd really like to see how we play against a team that runs it 70% of the time.

Can only play the teams scheduled ... so far, the Pack has taken care of business with eye opening results.  Down the road there will be teams who run the ball 70% of the time; you'll have your chance.

46 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Thought Rick Wagner played a great game again at RT. I'd leave him there, put Turner back at RG and have that be the OL moving forward.

I'm sure there is a reason the coaches haven't done this, but I've almost consider suggesting starting Runyan and letting him develop, as he's looked good so far and it would speed up his development for next year.

Also then possibly be able to free up some cap space and see if we can release Turner and/or Wagner from their more expensive veteran contracts.

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'm sure there is a reason the coaches haven't done this, but I've almost consider suggesting starting Runyan and letting him develop, as he's looked good so far and it would speed up his development for next year.

Also then possibly be able to free up some cap space and see if we can release Turner and/or Wagner from their more expensive veteran contracts.

If we ever get to a part of the season where wins don't matter and Aaron Rodgers is not the starter I agree but it would be silly to do that during a year you are realistically going for a superbowl. 

6 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

- dean lowry ending up on his *** or getting stonewalled every play
- tyler lancaster... not good. 
- preston smith brining no juice today. looked lethargic for the most part, got eaten on a wheel route. bad day at the office from what i saw. 
- adrian amos was bad today... at least to a casual viewer that has no understanding of what his assignments or whatever probably were. seemed like one of his worst games i've seen. 
- darnell savage following up a bad performance with another bad performance. not even bringing spark like he did at maryland. not bringing much anything positive. 
- jace sternberger... yikes.

Did you stop watching after the Q1?

P/Smith played off the LOS a lot. So, he wasn't going to flash behind the LOS.

Lancater, Lowry. Savage played better after the Q1. Keke also had a nice game... Agree on M/Adams; he needs to be replaced.

For Sternberger, drops aren't usually an issue for him. Not like it was for Jones, Jordy and Adams. I can remember all the Adams hate in his 2nd season - lol.

Edited by Donzo
sequence error
  • Like 1

Our interior D is clearly the weakest part of our team without KC, but I feel like we tried a few different combinations that worked out at times against the Lions. Keke becoming a player would be huge, Mont Adams getting washed out on the edge was nothing new. Lowry stays active and is generally not a liability but is rarely a playmaker. Lancaster feels to be about the same.  Guys who do the dirty work will always have a role but you hope for some impact players at every level of defense.

I hope Gute has a plan to get better depth at D line. Using RG and the Smiths might work to help when needed but you want to keep those guys clean and rushing the edges as much as possible. A stout interior will prevent QBs from stepping up in the pocket and throwing strikes like Stafford’s 4q touchdown. 

2 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Our interior D is clearly the weakest part of our team without KC, but I feel like we tried a few different combinations that worked out at times against the Lions. Keke becoming a player would be huge, Mont Adams getting washed out on the edge was nothing new. Lowry stays active and is generally not a liability but is rarely a playmaker. Lancaster feels to be about the same.  Guys who do the dirty work will always have a role but you hope for some impact players at every level of defense.

You nailed it.

M/Adams needs to go. If Gute has to trade 6th rounder to replace him, so be it. His roster spot needs to be upgraded.

Keke needs to keep developing like he flashed yesterday.... I imagine Clark will be back after the bye. If he comes back strong and Keke is the 2nd best D-lineman, then the DL is OK.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Thought Rick Wagner played a great game again at RT. I'd leave him there, put Turner back at RG and have that be the OL moving forward.

It's probably a good think that Turner git hurt .. he was headed for a starting job at RT, and I doubt he would have performed better than Wagner has.  Also, now might be the time to give Adam Stenovich some well deserved credit.  He's got these lineman playing pretty good football .. especially considering all the musical chairs that's been going on.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

If we ever get to a part of the season where wins don't matter and Aaron Rodgers is not the starter I agree but it would be silly to do that during a year you are realistically going for a superbowl. 

It's not silly if he's good enough, and so far he's been in two out of two games, and have you noticed that he's done anything wrong?

I'm sure he's not perfect, but he sure hasn't looked like a weakness either (so far).

17 minutes ago, Beast said:

It's not silly if he's good enough, and so far he's been in two out of two games, and have you noticed that he's done anything wrong?

I'm sure he's not perfect, but he sure hasn't looked like a weakness either (so far).

Hes played 23 snaps total. Both against pretty bad interior defensive lines. I'm not putting him out there in front of Patrick, Turner, or moving Jenkins to tackle just to "test" if he can play consistently. 

• Like 1

I think a healthy Turner is still superior to Runyan. He’s certainly paid like he is.  It was interesting that Turner was active but did not get the start or the call up when Patrick went down. Obviously Turner is not 100% but a knee injury can mean many different things.  Hope it’s something he can recover from quickly, because we need his versatility.

In the meantime, Runyan getting snaps is great but I’m all for letting him get some more time in the system before throwing him in as a starter. Hopefully he practices so well he forces playing time and not because of injury. We’ve weathered the storm so far but it is concerning that the Oline is getting hit early in the season. I’ve got to believe they will call Hanson up to the 53 this week.