Jump to content
mikebpackfan

Week Two Recap: Defense Sleeps, then Feasts, Packers Roll

Recommended Posts

On 9/20/2020 at 3:41 PM, Outpost31 said:

This is legitimately a good team.  We might actually compete with the Saints next week.

After what I saw last night from the Aints ... thinking we certainly should compete.  Keep the offense rolling with Rodgers keeping the same game plan shown the last 2 weeks and have Pettine get after Brees.  It doesn't look like their qb can throw a pass more than 10 yards.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how has Rashan Gary looked through the first 2 games? i've seen him make some plays, happy for him but wondering if someone in here has gone through the tape 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to figure how good we are, or will be.  Vikes and Lions look to be very bad, so hard to evaluate how offense might do against good defenses, or how our defense will survive against good offenses. 

But in terms of playoffs, the Packers really should go 6-0 in division.

  • So if they play .500 in their other games, they still go 11-5 and win the division easily.
  • With Covid and empty or only sparsely-attended stadiums, I'm not sure home versus road makes that much difference.  
  • With only 1 bye-team, that will factor too.  Or, maybe won't.  With vulnerable division rivals and a possible 6-0 in-division opportunity, the Packers might have a legit opportunity to compete for the bye.  Teams in the west and south will have more competition and risk some in-division losses. 
  • But *if* the Packers are *NOT* in the bye competition...  They may not have tons at stake then, if the division is a gimme, and home versus road doesn't really matter much, and the bye isn't within reach.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, persiandud said:

how has Rashan Gary looked through the first 2 games? i've seen him make some plays, happy for him but wondering if someone in here has gone through the tape 

I haven't looked at the all-22 either game  yet but when I do I plan on keying in on Gary. Early reports are promising. He still hasn't reached his full potential but he seems to have turned a corner from ineffective to at least an effective pass rusher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 4:51 PM, packfanfb said:

Jones carried us. Actually thought Rodgers was a little off today. Missed MVS wide open for a TD in the 2nd half. Ton of drops, Stern had a few, Tonyan 1, Lazard 1. Wasn't necessarily sharp out there, but OL played great and the Detroit D may be the worst we see all season...

So how do you blame Rodgers for 5-6 drops?!  Catch the frickin ball and he had a better or just as good of a game as last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

So how do you blame Rodgers for 5-6 drops?!  Catch the frickin ball and he had a better or just as good of a game as last week.

Those are two separate statements. Ton of drops by WRs/TEs. Also, Rodgers a bit off, especially on the TD pass to MVS (which was not a drop) -- need to put that right on him. Didn't matter because Jones was unstoppable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man this is some ugly stuff. Against a Lions OL too. 

As I posted before, what happened to Dean Lowry? The guy used to be at least a steady player - a fine No. 3 defensive lineman. Now, he's trending towards pure garbage -- $6m/year garbage. 

Lancaster probably does the most with what he has. 

Watching Adams get pancaked at the 12 sec mark is a microcosm of his entire career. How he's still on the team I will never know...

Keke has the most promise and flashed on a few plays on Sunday, but he should be your No. 4 guy at best. 

Edited by packfanfb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, packfanfb said:

Those are two separate statements. Ton of drops by WRs/TEs. Also, Rodgers a bit off, especially on the TD pass to MVS (which was not a drop) -- need to put that right on him. Didn't matter because Jones was unstoppable. 

Some just can't be happy I guess … maybe 1 "off" pass … good god. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Some just can't be happy I guess … maybe 1 "off" pass … good god. 

It's really not that deep man. Rodgers played fine, just would have liked to seen him make the throw to MVS there. He wasn't as sharp as he was against the Vikings, which still means he was one of the top QBs in Week 2, because he's that good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Man this is some ugly stuff. Against a Lions OL too. 

As I posted before, what happened to Dean Lowry? The guy used to be at least a steady player - a fine No. 3 defensive lineman. Now, he's trending towards pure garbage -- $6m/year garbage. 

Lancaster probably does the most with what he has. 

Watching Adams get pancaked at the 12 sec mark is a microcosm of his entire career. How he's still on the team I will never know...

Keke has the most promise and flashed on a few plays on Sunday, but he should be your No. 4 guy at best. 

This right here is why you can't have Preston Smith dropping into coverage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, persiandud said:

how has Rashan Gary looked through the first 2 games? i've seen him make some plays, happy for him but wondering if someone in here has gone through the tape 

He looks like a locomotive out there.  Playing fast.  Hands/feet still aren't perfect, but his energy and power is there on every single snap.  Yah, he's got his sacks, that's easy to see.  But, he's also got some hurries and he's crashing the line and getting in on some tackles, too.  The light might not yet be fully "green", but it's gone from red to yellow for sure.  

He did take a pretty large leap in year two.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

It's really not that deep man. Rodgers played fine, just would have liked to seen him make the throw to MVS there. He wasn't as sharp as he was against the Vikings, which still means he was one of the top QBs in Week 2, because he's that good. 

I think he was better than fine, but he was not as good as week one.  To be fair, I don't think anyone could be better than Rodgers was in week one.  Maybe equal to, but not better.

Lions were jamming and holding the WR's all game long to disrupt timing.  Rodgers didn't force it, just took what was there.

Adams wasn't fed the ball when he was out there, Rodgers spread it around.  And without Adams, he was still just fine.

His on field mannerisms were great, too.  He celebrated, he smiled.  He kept throwing to guys, even after drops.  And he was super PO'd when there was a timeout called when he had a sure fire TD play coming.  I absolutely loved how he acted on the field.  He was in control of that game, and he knew it.

About that MVS play in the end zone....I watched that a few times.  It honestly looked like MVS thought he was on the backline and was doing some funky things with his feet.  Could have been a better ball to him for sure, but something wasn't right on MVS's part either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The offense just seemed to have non-stop opportunity.  A lot of very successful first downs that set things up great.  A lot of first downs that were achieved without needing 3rd down conversion.  26 first downs, more than half never needed a 3rd down conversion.  A lot of decent-chunk gains, so that even if first down wasn't productive, they could still have a decent chance to make the 1st down anyway.  The ability to pick up first-down-sized chunks also gives you more opportunity to take some shots deep.  If you waste a down throwing downfield, it's not like it guarantees you're turning the ball over via the punt.  Guys were open underneath, guys available outside, guys available over the middle, guys available deep.  Throws to WR, throws to TE, throws to RB.  Just really, really fun.  

Last year there was complaint that Rodgers locked into Adams.  But this week ADams made some nice catches, but they attacked what was vulnerable.  Just really fun to have a diversified offense that, thus far, has been able to recognize and take whatever the defense gives them.  That hasn't always been true in past.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, craig said:

Hard to figure how good we are, or will be.  Vikes and Lions look to be very bad, so hard to evaluate how offense might do against good defenses, or how our defense will survive against good offenses. 

But in terms of playoffs, the Packers really should go 6-0 in division.

  • So if they play .500 in their other games, they still go 11-5 and win the division easily.
  • With Covid and empty or only sparsely-attended stadiums, I'm not sure home versus road makes that much difference.  
  • With only 1 bye-team, that will factor too.  Or, maybe won't.  With vulnerable division rivals and a possible 6-0 in-division opportunity, the Packers might have a legit opportunity to compete for the bye.  Teams in the west and south will have more competition and risk some in-division losses. 
  • But *if* the Packers are *NOT* in the bye competition...  They may not have tons at stake then, if the division is a gimme, and home versus road doesn't really matter much, and the bye isn't within reach.  

I think the Lions are alright. But yeah, I would hope that at worst we split with Chicago and go 5-1. I think it's very possible we lose to the Lions game 2. 

Either way, the NFC East looks like garbage and I'm not too concerned about one of them getting the bye. Saints and Bucs both look good, but the Saints got kind of exposed last night... Brees is toast. I think the Bucs can go on a good run to end the year. The NFC West is going to have some cannibalism but the Rams and Seahawks have looked really damn good. 

5 team race right now for that one seed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think he was better than fine, but he was not as good as week one.  To be fair, I don't think anyone could be better than Rodgers was in week one.  Maybe equal to, but not better.

Lions were jamming and holding the WR's all game long to disrupt timing.  Rodgers didn't force it, just took what was there.

Adams wasn't fed the ball when he was out there, Rodgers spread it around.  And without Adams, he was still just fine.

His on field mannerisms were great, too.  He celebrated, he smiled.  He kept throwing to guys, even after drops.  And he was super PO'd when there was a timeout called when he had a sure fire TD play coming.  I absolutely loved how he acted on the field.  He was in control of that game, and he knew it.

About that MVS play in the end zone....I watched that a few times.  It honestly looked like MVS thought he was on the backline and was doing some funky things with his feet.  Could have been a better ball to him for sure, but something wasn't right on MVS's part either.

The play before that, Rodgers threw a ball low to MVS in the right flat. As MVS came back to the huddle, talking, Rodgers put his finger to his faceguard like "shhh!"

What I wonder is...was Rodgers telling him to STFU cuz a play was coming into his helmet, or was he telling him to run that route to the center of the endzone and look for the ball?

Edited by Uffdaswede

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...