Should Matt Ryan retire as a Atlanta Falcon or win a SB somewhere else?

Championshiporbust

On 9/22/2020 at 7:22 AM, AkronsWitness said:

Its somewhat crazy how the Falcons have had the obvious ability to surround Ryan with great offensive talent over the years but have yet to be able to field a even halfway competent defense to pair with it

Even before Ryan, they've had a good defense maybe one time in 1998, and before that nothing really since the Grits Blitz era. I mean like an intimidating defense with household names on it. 

After Quinn gets fired this season, Niners should trade Jimmy and a 1st for Matt Ryan. Sure he's 35 but he's been playing like a Top 7-8 QB since 2016. Not to mention he had his MVP season with Kyle. You might get three great seasons and one good season before he retires. 35 is the new 30 with these new rules.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 12:13 AM, RabidPanther89 said:

Considering Ryan is one of the reasons they don't win SB's I don't see what difference it would make.

I don't see how you can come to this conclusion in any way. None of the playoff losses since say, 2011 were Ryan's fault in any way. 

1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

.....Could have played better?

In some of them, I don't see how. In the others, he would have had to be perfect instead of having a 115 or better efficiency rating. He did more than enough to win the super bowl for example. But there's just so many people who hate on him for no reason. You know what else could have played better? The defenses. The run game. The only team I would say actually shut down Ryan and the passing game was the Eagles in 2017. And even then, the Falcons were in the game and could have won had the DPI on the final play been called. (See 2012 NFCCG for a defensive holding that was missed as well).

On 9/21/2020 at 4:22 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Its somewhat crazy how the Falcons have had the obvious ability to surround Ryan with great offensive talent over the years but have yet to be able to field a even halfway competent defense to pair with it

Yes, very hard to win down the stretch with just an offense.  Teams have a better chance of winning with just a great defense.

That being said, Ryan should stay.  At least they surrounded him with weapons.  It is hard to find a team that is complete and the teams that look complete this year, might be very different the next year.

he can still take out a ring with the falcons tbh... it's not that they're lacking as a team as a whole, really, it's just that the few holes they do have are so glaring and need an immediate fix

if they can ship a new staff in and have an 09 saints esque sort of run on D, they could very easily go all the way

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I think Matt Ryan is definitely a good enough QB to win a Super Bowl. Definitely the team around him has much to be desired especially defensively. But I'm confused to the actual question... I don't think he's guarenteed to win one by changing teams.

Consider the OP's username. B|

On 9/22/2020 at 11:18 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Even before Ryan, they've had a good defense maybe one time in 1998, and before that nothing really since the Grits Blitz era. I mean like an intimidating defense with household names on it. 

Since 2018 the defense is giving up 34 PPG in losses. 

In that timespan the Falcons have lost 5 games in which the offense has scored 30+ PPG. Ryan's numbers in those games are:

• vs. NO - L 37-43 = 26/35 (74.3%), 374 YDS (10.7), 5 TD, 0 INT, 148.1 QB Rating
  • vs. CIN - L 36-37 = 29/39 (74.4%), 419 YDS (10.7), 3 TD, 0 INT, 134.5 QB Rating
  • at HOU - L 32-53 = 32/46 (69.6%), 330 YDS (7.2), 3 TD, 1 INT, 102.6 QB Rating
  • at ARI - L 33-34 = 30/36 (83.3%), 356 YDS (9.9), 4 TD, 0 INT, 144.9 QB Rating
  • at DAL - L 39-40 = 24/36 (66.7%), 273 YDS (7.6), 4 TD, 0 INT, 126.3 QB Rating

TOTAL - 141/192 (73.4%), 1752 YDS (9.1), 19 TD, 1 INT, 132.1 QB Rating