Broncos QB Drew Lock out 2-6 weeks with AC sprain

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Driskel has brutal pocket awareness and sense of pressure from what I recall. 

Hes horrible. The only reason he was signed is because he has a similar skillset to Lock so IF Lock got injured they wouldnt have to change the play calling.

At the same time, if your team is starting your backup QB for a extended period of time, your likely f'd regardless so it doesnt really matter who it is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Really unfortunate for both DEN & Lock

One thing I observed - Lock was escaping and his throwing arm was just "out" and not tucked in close to his body. 

A lot of private QB coaches are trying to coach that into young QBs - when you're getting out of the pocket, keep your arm tucked in tight so if you take a blindside hit, your arm isn't going to get pinned under your body awkwardly as you come crashing down with the force of a LB taking you down.

Nonetheless, that hit looked brutal. Hope Lock can recover soon.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

One thing I observed - Lock was escaping and his throwing arm was just "out" and not tucked in close to his body. 

A lot of private QB coaches are trying to coach that into young QBs - when you're getting out of the pocket, keep your arm tucked in tight so if you take a blindside hit, your arm isn't going to get pinned under your body awkwardly as you come crashing down with the force of a LB taking you down.

Nonetheless, that hit looked brutal. Hope Lock can recover soon.

To be fair, though, Lock was stumbling - he had his arms out to brace himself.   It's not like he was unaware and got blindsided, he literally stumbled his way to a defenseless, prone position.   If he's not stumbling he likely scrambles to safety or gets rid of the ball.  He was so vulnerable because of the stumble.  It really sucks, because his feel for pressure and inner clock to get rid of the ball before pressure gets there was an unexpected surprise, but a big reason for his early success (while he had a ton of work to do with footwork facing pressure, and his deep ball accuracy).

Edited by Broncofan

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I though Driskel was a better decision maker out there yesterday. His arm is life enough to get things done. Denver might actually have a better chance winning with him moving forward.

edit: For this season, I should note. Next season, depending on the severity of the injury, it wouldn’t hurt to draft another QB and go from there.

It's the backup-QB with no tape effect.    It won't last.  We've seen this before with our backups, and I've seen enough from Driskell in the past, yesterday doesn't really change that.

Edited by Broncofan

If Lock is gone for the season, DEN definitely becomes a top 3 pick contender.

On the bright side, DEN can dress Bortles right away - because there's no chance Bortles can pass Covid to anyone wearing the same team jersey.   He might be a risk to the other team's D, though, so he'll probably have to wait.

Edited by Broncofan