Broncos QB Drew Lock out 2-6 weeks with AC sprain

RaidersAreOne

14 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Sadly if he doesn't light it up when he comes back, I think we'll be drafting high for his replacement.

Yeah, I kind of have a gut feeling about that as well.  Maybe Denver scrapes some wins out, but I don’t see Denver winning more than 4 games this year.  Yes the injuries have sucked, but we’re only in week 2.  Inevitably there will be more.

Best defensive player out for the season.  Best offensive player out for the season.  Starting QB out for at least a month and that month long stretch is probably Denver’s easiest part of the schedule with NYJ and MIA in October.  

NYJ is a JV team, but with a backup QB you never know.  Miami isn’t the push over they’ve been in the past either.  

I would not be surprised at all to see Denver at 1-7 going into November.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Yeah, I kind of have a gut feeling about that as well.  Maybe Denver scrapes some wins out, but I don’t see Denver winning more than 4 games this year.  Yes the injuries have sucked, but we’re only in week 2.  Inevitably there will be more.

Best defensive player out for the season.  Best offensive player out for the season.  Starting QB out for at least a month and that month long stretch is probably Denver’s easiest part of the schedule with NYJ and MIA in October.  

NYJ is a JV team, but with a backup QB you never know.  Miami isn’t the push over they’ve been in the past either.  

With no Lock, that wouldn't surprise me at all.   TNF on East Coast after a SUN game is a huge equalizer, even though NYJ is one of the few teams we should be favored against, even depleted.

Now, I think the team will compete each week, and make it close, so we could eke a couple of more upset wins.  But ppl are quick to forget that we were 2-9 before Lock joined - and while we have Jeudy to replace Sutton, pretty much everywhere else we've lost talent with injury / FA departures.....and we're still incorporating a new O scheme, with a new QB to boot.

Fans who are calling for a quick return to Lock are crazy.  We're going nowhere this season.   Just keep the rest of our core healthy, let the new guys get playing time, and hope Lock's shoulder is OK (which again, is no given).   The last thing we need to do is rush him back.   Especially with the way our OL pass protects now.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

The real issue would be the Tebow issue when we all thought when the Broncos through him in there thinking that they would suck for Luck, and Tebow wound up leading the Broncos to the playoffs.  Granted that led to the Manning signing, but I don't see another Manning waiting in the wings.  But, what if by November the Broncos are 1-7, and then Lock comes back, and he goes 7-1?  Then that not only knocks the Broncos out of a top three or five pick, but it might knock them out of a top 10 pick.  Then you go into the next season on a high horse thinking Lock is the answer again.  Which could lead to this same issue where Lock cannot stay healthy enough to put it all together for a full season where we could have a shot at the playoffs.  

Personally, I am not sure if Lock can go toe-to-toe with Mahomes.  I think Lawrence or Fields can.  But I would like to be proven wrong.  

I was a huge Lock hater, but have warmed to him. I am pretty surprised people are so quick to walk away from this kids talent right now. Yes, if we end up top 2 we should for sure take Trevor and do a ton of sniffing around Fields. But its overwhelmingly likely that Lock is our QB next season. He has a ton to work with. Yes, the injuries suck but by and large they seem to be freak bad luck injuries, not anything degenerating or whatever. 

32 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

So 1.25 games into his second season and y'all are already dreaming of Fields or Lawrence?? 🤣

Better than hoping to god that Jeff Driskel turns into the 2017 version of Nick Foles and Von, Bouye, and all the other important players miraculously come back for a wildcard run at a superbowl.

Lock has 1 more year on his contract and if he plays decent, he may be just like Osweiler in that regard.  He was a 2nd round pick for god's sake. He's been overhyped ever since the Texans game. It's not like he's some huge investment. Best case scenario, he's Jay Cutler without the attitude problems.

Edited by BullsandBroncos

3 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

So 1.25 games into his second season and y'all are already dreaming of Fields or Lawrence?? 🤣

Honestly, any team fanbase who doesn't have an elite established QB should dream of Lawrence lol.   Nothing is guaranteed but he's probably the "safest" college QB since PFM came out.   I'm not there with Fields yet, TBH, but that's a special talent.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Honestly, any team fanbase who doesn't have an elite established QB should dream of Lawrence lol.   Nothing is guaranteed but he's probably the "safest" college QB since PFM came out.   I'm not there with Fields yet, TBH, but that's a special talent.

No doubt, but cmon. It’s incredibly unlikely that we’ll be in that position and despite the injuries I still want to see this team compete, win and grow. If that means we miss out on a top 5 talent at QB than I am absolutely fine with that. In fact, I’d prefer it. If the coaching continues to be suspect (play-calling and game mgmt) and the backups and young guys can’t compete and we get that chance, then we can talk. But as a lifelong fan of this team that has been very spoiled with high-priced free agents and mostly very successful teams, I’m ready to actually see a team grow some chemistry and improve together. I’m down for the “process” and would love to see a team of backups overachieve and miss out on that top 5 pick even if some on here think that’s losing value in the draft etc. 

Not to mention I think Lock is the real deal and with a healthy arsenal and strong defense around him, he can grow into a franchise QB. He’s been dealt a rough hand...

3 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

No doubt, but cmon. It’s incredibly unlikely that we’ll be in that position and despite the injuries I still want to see this team compete, win and grow. If that means we miss out on a top 5 talent at QB than I am absolutely fine with that. In fact, I’d prefer it. If the coaching continues to be suspect (play-calling and game mgmt) and the backups and young guys can’t compete and we get that chance, then we can talk. But as a lifelong fan of this team that has been very spoiled with high-priced free agents and mostly very successful teams, I’m ready to actually see a team grow some chemistry and improve together. I’m down for the “process” and would love to see a team of backups overachieve and miss out on that top 5 pick even if some on here think that’s losing value in the draft etc. 

Not to mention I think Lock is the real deal and with a healthy arsenal and strong defense around him, he can grow into a franchise QB. He’s been dealt a rough hand...

I like Lock, still would take Lawrence over him, but I think Drew deserves a chance and if he performs even moderately well in his return we are probably picking just outside the top 5 anyways.  However if the bad luck continues and/or Drew falters when he gets back a top 5 pick is a legit reality. 

I see NYJ and MIA being our only real shots at a win until the bye (although Any Given Sunday), which means we could roll into the bye week at 1-6 or 2-5.

Post bye the easiest games are CAR and the 2 games against the Raiders.   5 wins is a real possibility here

39 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

No one is suggesting the team should stop competing.   We all want the kids to grow & learn.   It's just that a very high pick is a very real possibility, and a top 3-5 pick if Lock doesn't return.   This is also a 2020 reality given that home field isn't even close to what it used to be this year, and our 2nd place schedule and AFCW counterparts are definitely surging, while injuries have decimated us where we can't easily replace them.  With Von, Lock  & Sutton, and better play as our young team learned, a 8-8 season still seemed most likely,    Now all bets are off - as others have pointed out, we're likely going to be favorites for 3 games, and rightfully so. 

Lock is promising, no doubt, and his progress after 6 games gave us nothing but optimism and real hope.  But promising and known quantity are 2 different animals.  The other issue is that for all the spin that the latest reports were good news, we're not even close to out of the woods yet, given a labrum injury is confirmed.  The "lucky" scenario would have been if the AC joint separation was the only injury (the mechanism made that unlikely).  Labrum injuries are scary as ****.   Obviously we all hope Lock's shoulder is OK, but until he gets through rehab, and plays without pain, and it doesn't re-occur, we're going to all have to hold our collective breaths.

Edited by Broncofan