Broncos QB Drew Lock out 2-6 weeks with AC sprain

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Zukhyubern said:

No doubt, but cmon. It’s incredibly unlikely that we’ll be in that position and despite the injuries I still want to see this team compete, win and grow. If that means we miss out on a top 5 talent at QB than I am absolutely fine with that. In fact, I’d prefer it. If the coaching continues to be suspect (play-calling and game mgmt) and the backups and young guys can’t compete and we get that chance, then we can talk. But as a lifelong fan of this team that has been very spoiled with high-priced free agents and mostly very successful teams, I’m ready to actually see a team grow some chemistry and improve together. I’m down for the “process” and would love to see a team of backups overachieve and miss out on that top 5 pick even if some on here think that’s losing value in the draft etc. 

Not to mention I think Lock is the real deal and with a healthy arsenal and strong defense around him, he can grow into a franchise QB. He’s been dealt a rough hand...

We're pretty much on the same page. It really reminds me a lot of the Ralston years. He was never a great coach but he changed the atmosphere to a winning one. He drafted well and did a good job developing players. He actually got us winning seasons for the first time in history.

When he got canned he gave Red Miller a talented, professional team that went to the SB Millers first year. Miller gets most of the credit but it was Ralston that turned us around.

I think Fangio and his staff can do the same thing but as you say, it's a process and like you, I'm all for it. 

10 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

No doubt, but cmon. It’s incredibly unlikely that we’ll be in that position and despite the injuries I still want to see this team compete, win and grow. If that means we miss out on a top 5 talent at QB than I am absolutely fine with that. In fact, I’d prefer it. If the coaching continues to be suspect (play-calling and game mgmt) and the backups and young guys can’t compete and we get that chance, then we can talk. But as a lifelong fan of this team that has been very spoiled with high-priced free agents and mostly very successful teams, I’m ready to actually see a team grow some chemistry and improve together. I’m down for the “process” and would love to see a team of backups overachieve and miss out on that top 5 pick even if some on here think that’s losing value in the draft etc. 

Not to mention I think Lock is the real deal and with a healthy arsenal and strong defense around him, he can grow into a franchise QB. He’s been dealt a rough hand...

Is it incredibly unlikely? I'm not so sure that it is. I think Denver has a lot of talent- but a lot of that talent is now injured. If I'm being honest, the games on our schedule that appear winnable (right now) are- NYJ, MIA, CAR, LAC. Perhaps we have a chance in one of the two LV games. If Lock is out until the beginning of Nov, it's possible we don't win a game (or one game, beating the Jets). I don't see Denver beating KC x2, NO, NE, TB, BUF, or ATL in our current state. That's 9 losses right there. 

Would love to be optimistic, but I think the writing is a bit on the wall given the number of critical injuries, likelihood of some additional injuries to come, and the age of the offense. These guys will get valuable time to grow, but I think it's a bit of a lost season.

Bring me to my next point- there's precisely no value in "feel good" wins in the NFL. Teams turnover at incredibly high rates, so even if we retain key pieces of the team next year, there's still gonna be a bunch of new faces. Beyond that, I would note that when healthy, this Broncos team has a ton of potential, but we're still missing key pieces. A disruptive OLB, CB, and OT are still must haves for this team to take it to the next level. QB also very much on the table if this team is bad. It would be foolish not to consider one in the 1st round given the 5th year option and the current makeup of the team.

14 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

So 1.25 games into his second season and y'all are already dreaming of Fields or Lawrence?? 🤣

I don’t think anyone is dreaming of it.  Just discussing whether or not going QB in the top 5 makes sense, which if Denver is picking top 5 it most certainly does.

I like Lock a lot.  Think he has a chance to be the future at the position for Denver.  But he’s not in Lawrence or Fields class as a prospect.  We’re also now looking at a QB in Lock who is very close to getting the “injury prone” label with back to back years now with significant injuries.

Now whether or not Denver is in the top 5, we’ll see.  This team isn’t as good as last years, IMO and as @Broncofan pointed out Denver was 2-9 before Lock started last season.

I think the definitive 3 worst teams are the Jets, Panthers, Bengals, but Denver is probably only in the tier above that with all the injuries.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Why PIT specifically?

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Big Ben is close to retirement and the Steelers don't have a QBOTF yet

^^ What he said.

Pitt are ran too well as a franchise to be picking near the top of the draft. They have a high quality roster, so why bother chancing it with a very late 1st round QB, when you can get a guy who is has shown he can play in the NFL in the few opportunities he's had with competent players and coaching?

It will be interesting though, because there will definitely be a market for Darnold. He will only be 24 when the next season starts and he's got 3 years of starting experience. That is going to appeal to good teams with a need for an upgrade at QB.

All of the following teams wouldn't mind an upgrade at QB, but likely won't have a top 10 pick to get a premier one - Steelers, Bears, Raiders, 49ers, Saints, Colts, Vikings.

Then you also have the teams in the top 10 who miss out on whoever the premier QBs are.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

Greg Cosell has mentioned how important coaching, team talent, and scheme go into the success of young QBs.  I think Sam Darnold is a perfect example of that.  He’s a terrific QB with terrible talent and coaching around him.  He made a throw last week on the run that was insane. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Greg Cosell has mentioned how important coaching, team talent, and scheme go into the success of young QBs.  I think Sam Darnold is a perfect example of that.  He’s a terrific QB with terrible talent and coaching around him.  He made a throw last week on the run that was insane. 

Given Adam Gase's track record of late - I think most scouting dep'ts and FO's realize the players that struggle but flashed any prior talent with Gase deserve a 2nd chance.  Tannehill, Drake, Parker, Gesicki.....likely applies to the Jet young skill players (Darnold, Herndon). 

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

Thats pretty much been true for ever. It's also a huge reason why many so many highly drafted QB's fail. 

Those teams aren't drafting that high because they're any good. 

On 9/25/2020 at 9:29 AM, germ-x said:

Darnold is a good quarterback. People want to dog him because of the garbage franchise he plays for, but I mean my god look at what he's working with. Gase also sucks.

On 9/29/2020 at 7:40 AM, broncos67 said:

Darnold is a good quarterback. People want to dog him because of the garbage franchise he plays for, but I mean my god look at what he's working with. Gase also sucks.

I do think he's overrated idk I just never saw franchise guy with him at best I see a Carson Palmer. If he was truly a franchise guy I don't think Denver Broncos with the amount of injuries and third string qb would be favored.