SNF: Pats@Seahwaks

NFL_Advisor

10 minutes ago, mse326 said:

26 seconds. No time outs. 2nd down. You have time for three plays if you pass on 2nd or 3rd down. If you only run then you only have 2 shots. Having an extra play makes it more likely to score.

Belichick knew it was going to be a pass. By his own words, it was a gut feeling after looking across the field and seeing the commotion and the personnel that Pete sent out. 

True story, Belichick and the Patriots were beat several times at the goalline the year before by teams running more spread offenses and he wanted to fix it. But he also didn't want to have to take out one of his best defenders to do it (safety-name escapes me). So he tells the staff to work on it all offseason and in practices all year. But all year, no team tries it and it seemed like a waste of time. That was up until that last play of the SB. 

Edit: That was a case of Pete overthinking it. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Belichick knew it was going to be a pass. By his own words, it was a gut feeling after looking across the field and seeing the commotion and the personnel that Pete sent out. 

True story, Belichick and were beat several times at the goalline the year before by teams running more spread offenses and he wanted to fix it. But he also didn't want to have to take out one of his best defenders to do it (safety-name escapes me). So he tells the staff to work on it all offseason and in practices all year. But all year, no team tries it and it seemed like a waste of time. That was up until that last play of the SB. 

So BB did a good coaching job. Doesn't change my point.

I think Adams had a fine game, again.  You have to keep in mind, Diggs got ejected early in the game and changed the things Seattle could do with Adams because Hill is not as good as Diggs, to put it nicely.  Really encouraged by what I've seen from Jamal Adams the first two weeks of the season.

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

But you don't pass when you have Marshawn and the run game is working. Just like tonight. That's overthinking it. 

edit: Meant pass.

Again. 3 plays > two plays. They can run on the other 2. All they needed to do was not throw the INT. That is why that specific play was a bad call. Too congested in the middle to risk. But a rollout pass would have been absolutely the right decision.