The offense is a Big Problem

lavar703

Hello guys. We are what I thought we are. Young team, new coach, new system, no preseason games lack of talent on Off, no running game. Its call the growing pains of a young team. I see areas we need alot of work on. I said this before by the end of the season we should see some improvement but early on we will have a rough start.  Yes we need better play on the OL. Ismael and Charles are coming some were in the new future, more growing pains. Lets roll up our selves and  get ready for Chubb, Odell and company so don't expect this to be easy.

• Like 1

I've never been more convinced than I am now that the most important part of a sustainable, consistent offense is the OL. This OL is going to take time to fix and I'm not sure Rivera is the guy to do that. He is a lot of great things, but OLs under Rivera have never really excelled. I would argue that his OLs in Carolina were those team's achilles heal, especially his Super Bowl losing team.

I don't foresee Scherff being signed in WAS long term, especially with this injury history. With that reality in place, we'll have to completely remake the OL.

33 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I've never been more convinced than I am now that the most important part of a sustainable, consistent offense is the OL. This OL is going to take time to fix and I'm not sure Rivera is the guy to do that. He is a lot of great things, but OLs under Rivera have never really excelled. I would argue that his OLs in Carolina were those team's achilles heal, especially his Super Bowl losing team.

I don't foresee Scherff being signed in WAS long term, especially with this injury history. With that reality in place, we'll have to completely remake the OL.

Second time around coaches can learn from their mistakes. Let's hope he has .

1 hour ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Well I don't think it is a matter of Rivera being the guy.  It isn't brain surgery, you just go get yourself some elite talent.  Rivera just needs to decide to invest into the oline.  He has not done that as of now.  But it isn't like he just omitted investing into the oline, he chose not to improve anywhere this offseason other than draft picks.

2 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

He took 3rd round pick Trai Turner and got him to 4 pro bowls.  

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

He took 3rd round pick Trai Turner and got him to 4 pro bowls.  

Andrew Norwell was an UDFA guard who turned into a 1st team All-Pro Player.  Ryan Kalil was a 3 time All-Pro during Rivera's tenure with the Panthers, too.  

Their OL coach, and now ours, John Matsko, is widely regarded as one of the best in the business.  Now that Alex Gibbs is out of the league, he, along with Chris Foerster, are probably the best Zone-Blocking coaches in the NFL.  

To another poster's point on the Broncos Super Bowl game, that is on Mike Remmers and Mike Shula.  Remmers allowed two sacks and multiple pressures from Von Miller, not the interior line.  Shula, the OC, did not scheme for any help at all, which was foolish given how much of a beast Von Miller was back then.  And then, on the other side of the field, you had Michael Oher going against Demarcus Ware and the field was so bad, it looked like he was sliding on ice skates a few times.  

Also, Rivera and Gettleman share some of the blame here, as the Panthers did not invest many high resources in the draft on the OL, especially at OT.  They relied on Matsko to coach these guys up.  And in a sense, you get what you pay for by bringing in a couple journeyman guys to start at OT, and then during the Super Bowl, they ran into arguably the greatest pair of pass-rushers to suit up next to each other during the past decade.  

So the coaching will be fine, it will just depend on how they put resources into the OL via the draft.  Who had more control, Gettleman or Rivera?  If I had to wager based on how much of an emphasis Gettleman put on the OL this year, including taking Andrew Thomas with the #4 overall pick, I'd argue Rivera had quite a bit of pull back then.  

On 9/20/2020 at 10:54 PM, lavar703 said:

So, I get people are down on Haskins. Honestly he has not played well the first two weeks and he needs to improve but I have no idea how he can be expected to develop in this situation? With Scherff now out or he at least appears to be out for awhile, our OL is Christian, Martin, Rouillier, Schweitzer and Moses. That’s horrible. You simply cannot expect to be able to evaluate a QB who has almost no time to throw the ball. He can’t set his feet in a pocket and throw the ball more than maybe 5 times a game which is absurd. 

Exactly!!!!!!. Look are we going to give Haskins time to grow. Lets give him time. More importantly lets improve the OL. Couple of WR would help to and I am not sure about Logan. Jury still out o him. Throw in a true RB also. Haskin has none of the aforementioned improvements. Can we give this time to work and let Haskins get some experience under his belt. Be prepare for some rough sailing ahead.

1 hour ago, 4209 said:

Exactly!!!!!!. Look are we going to give Haskins time to grow. Lets give him time. More importantly lets improve the OL. Couple of WR would help to and I am not sure about Logan. Jury still out o him. Throw in a true RB also. Haskin has none of the aforementioned improvements. Can we give this time to work and let Haskins get some experience under his belt. Be prepare for some rough sailing ahead.

I think the biggest problem I have with Rivera’s approach is he seems willing to throw a year away of Haskins development to see if guys like Geron Christian and Marcus Baugh can play football. The Geron Christian thing drives me crazy because he sucks. We all know he sucks. The regime who drafted him knew he sucked and here we are playing him at the most important position on the OL.

I get this is a developmental year for a lot of guys but come the hell on, Apke and Christian suck and we all know it. It doesn’t take 6-10 games to figure that out. Why are we going into every game at a disadvantage knowing these guys are not NFL level talents? Cut them and move on. Put Kamren Curl on the field, try the dude we traded for from the Bears at LT. Do anything! Just try something different. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 9:52 PM, A TRAIN 89 said:

Thats one player. The reason they lost the super bowl was because Von Miller and Co. couldn't be stopped.

Many, many teams have a hard time stopping a Top 3 pass rusher. Why do you think so many of us are so excited to get Chase?