Giants Post Game

dll2000

I like starting a new thread for post game thoughts rather than digging through game day one.

Though I did put a large post game thought in that one already.

Another note is that it looks like Bush played a lot in place of DT in 3 safety looks.   I predicted that after DTs week 1 performance.  That is not something Bears planned on this season I am betting.  Nor I bet have they practiced it much.  

But look to see it more and more as it looks like Pagano doesn’t like DT or DT’s back up.   Our Run D may be an issue going forward.

We need to find a huge run stuffing NT.   I would pound table for Snacks, but he was garbage last year so I just don’t know what we would be getting.  

Give me 2018 Snacks all day and twice on Sunday.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I like starting a new thread for post game thoughts rather than digging through game day one.

Another note is that it looks like Bush played a lot in place of DT in 3 safety looks.   I predicted that after DTs week 1 performance.  That is not something Bears planned on this season I am betting.  Nor I bet have they practiced it much.  

But look to see it more and more as it looks like Pagano doesn’t like DT or DT’s back up.   Our Run D may be an issue going forward.

We need to find a huge run stuffing NT.   I would pound table for Snacks, but he was garbage last year so I just don’t know what we would be getting.  

But if he was terrible in 2019, the odds that they would be getting the 2018 version aren't high.

I'm happy to be 2-0, but I can't say that I feel happy overall. This team has flaws and the optimist in me thinks that this unprecedented off-season is playing a role in our overall performance. The team has fight and character -- that much is obvious -- but I think they are collectively still trying to figure out who they are.

I can't hate on not putting up 35-40 points a game because I've been beating the drum for committing to the run and taking calculated shots off play action. Montgomery was a STUD yesterday and I think if Miller catches his TD and/or Robinson doesn't allow a 50-50 ball to be picked off this would be a different feeling. Hell, even if Santos hit his ******* FG the game wouldn't have been as nerve wracking.

It's a work in progress, and again if you told me the Bears would be 2-0, averaging 4.7 yards per carry, and our QB would have a 92.7 rating I'd be happy. So I should be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

DT is turning into a huge liability, when you lose your athletic ability it happens quick. We should not have allowed our speedy back up LB go from last year (can't remember his name). The contract just never had sense and we're stuck with it.  

Kevin Pierre Louis.  Ya he was a good back up to have.  Shame they didn't re-sign him.

Still early but looks like Kwit may have been the better keep over DT..injuries aside.

• Like 1

Quinn has a very unique pass rush move that actually works.

He bends way outside and then does a jumping slap and gets the edge.   I can think of a lot of things wrong with doing that, but he keeps having success with it.  

So maybe he can teach it to others on Bears.

I can't think of anyone else who does that in all of football.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

DT was off the field for about half the defensive snaps.  If this is a sign of things to come and not just a matter of knocking off the rust Pace's decision to allow both Kwit and KPL to leave is gonna get some really severe criticism.  If we were set on keeping DT then IMHO Pace should have kept KPL as a backup.  Woods is out for now and Rashad Smith was signed off the PS.  What's left is Iggy and a rookie and Iggy has never shown starters talent.

As I posted elsewhere Jenkins is only effective in a relief role for a couple of series a game.  The problem is I don't know if there's a solution out there anywhere to be found.  Harrison was injured and ineffective in Detroit last season and no one else seemed to be interested in him either so I wouldn't count on him being a guy who can help.  Still, I might at least invite him in for a look or look around for another wide body NT type.  We need help in the middle.

Most interesting stories so far:

Mooney keeps getting more snaps and Miller keeps getting less.   Wims has played more WR this year than he has in rest of his career combined (not counting throw away games or garbage time) and he is playing well.

DT is saddest story on Bears right now.  I legit feel bad for him.   Pagano solution seems to be more Bush instead of putting another ILB in.  He really doesn't like back up ILBs right now because his preference in past has not been much of 3 safety.   

Leno is low key playing bad too.  

Massie has been a pleasant surprise.  

Ifedi has been a heck of a FA signing and probably Bears best linemen to date.

Johnson is in running for DROY.

Jackson seems to be back on form after a down year.   

Fuller is low key playing at a pro bowl level as well.

Having Hicks back helps a lot.

Once Quinn gets in shape Bears pass rush will be fierce.  

Mack is playing too many snaps in meantime.

Our interior DL is not playing well.  Goldman opt out was not nothing.  I think PFF theory that DL doesn't matter is proving to be wrong.  

Having Graham is a huge upgrade, but he still kind of drives you nuts would could have beens.   Demetrius Harris probably needs more snaps.

When Montgomery goes down or is not in game for more than 2 plays Bears offense seems to get a lot worse.

MT needs to play better, but seems like game narratives would be entirely different sans the untimely drops.

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

DT was off the field for about half the defensive snaps.  If this is a sign of things to come and not just a matter of knocking off the rust Pace's decision to allow both Kwit and KPL to leave is gonna get some really severe criticism.  If we were set on keeping DT then IMHO Pace should have kept KPL as a backup.  Woods is out for now and Rashad Smith was signed off the PS.  What's left is Iggy and a rookie and Iggy has never shown starters talent.

As I posted elsewhere Jenkins is only effective in a relief role for a couple of series a game.  The problem is I don't know if there's a solution out there anywhere to be found.  Harrison was injured and ineffective in Detroit last season and no one else seemed to be interested in him either so I wouldn't count on him being a guy who can help.  Still, I might at least invite him in for a look or look around for another wide body NT type.  We need help in the middle.

My thing about DT is this had to be evident in practice.

When I went to camp last year Long lost just about every single rep in every single drill and in case you were blind and didn't notice was visibly frustrated with himself and causing a spectacle.

But come game 1 he is out there starting.  I don't get it.   That is how baseball works, but not football.   In football if you can't play, you don't play.  

Bears are being stupid about DT.  No other way to put it.  

The past doesn't matter in football.  Its a harsh game.  Even Unitas and Montana got benched when someone was better.

It's as an outsider to say DTs downfall should be evident, but this guys been a captain, hes been the leader of the defense and let's face it, who on this roster is better right now.  So they will play dime with a 4 man front in most situations and rely on that well paid front to make plays in the run game.  Maybe you give Iggy a look since he was drafted to be DTs replacement, but he hasnt (to date) shown any real defensive value.