Giants Post Game

dll2000

29 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It's as an outsider to say DTs downfall should be evident, but this guys been a captain, hes been the leader of the defense and let's face it, who on this roster is better right now.  So they will play dime with a 4 man front in most situations and rely on that well paid front to make plays in the run game.  Maybe you give Iggy a look since he was drafted to be DTs replacement, but he hasnt (to date) shown any real defensive value.  

We don't know if someone is better or not.  

I don't give them benefit of doubt any more as they have shown they will play a player not playing well for quite a while hoping he suddenly plays better.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

My thing about DT is this had to be evident in practice.

When I went to camp last year Long lost just about every single rep in every single drill and in case you were blind and didn't notice was visibly frustrated with himself and causing a spectacle.

But come game 1 he is out there starting.  I don't get it.   That is how baseball works, but not football.   In football if you can't play, you don't play.  

Bears are being stupid about DT.  No other way to put it.  

The past doesn't matter in football.  Its a harsh game.  Even Unitas and Montana got benched when someone was better.

I think this year is the exception in that they couldn't really tell that DT had fallen off. I say this because how many practices did they have in pads and at close to full speed. But hindsight DT's contract is looking terrible.

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

The past doesn't matter in football.  Its a harsh game.  Even Unitas and Montana got benched when someone was better.

The problem may well be do we have anyone else whose better?

I was far more in favor of keeping both Kwit and KPL and letting DT test the market.  I get the leadership deal but that was also where we made a major mistake with Long that came back to bite us.  Now it seems as if we may have done it again.

I just don't get the wisdom behind having found a jewel in the middle rounds.  Then having developed him into a competent starter letting him go in favor of an oft injured vet with a lot of miles on him.  Not when the plan has been to have Smith become the defensive signal caller all along.

I don't want to call it a career on Trevathan after two games, but they have been two really bad games... In a weird as hell pre-season let's just give him a few and see what he's like in a month. If nothing has changed then it's a serious problem and a contract we can't get out of easily.

Some of my other quick (ok they turned out not so quick) thoughts on the game:

- I thought Mitch played really well. I'll have to watch the all-22 but I don't think either pick was on him. Maybe the first was a little late, maybe the second should have been a foot higher, but the fault lies more with A-Rob. I love A-Rob but seeing him with his head in his hands on the sideline after the picks was tough, he knows he messed up

- I hate how we can't put games away, play calling seemed a lot less aggressive second half and obviously two turnovers are going to let the Giants back in it

- Thought the defense was much better this week. Wish Pagano would blitz more but Quinn made a big difference on the third downs. Only gave up 13 points and taking the ball away twice? That's damn good stuff. We know we're gonna have to wing it a bit with no decent NT this season, but when Dion Lewis came in he still only averaged 2.0 yards a carry. I know it's Dion Lewis and a really poor Giants OL, but still gotta stop them, and we did.

- The more we run the ball, the less we might see of Miller. Wims is in there because he's huge and can block now we're focusing on the run much more. 

- David Montgomery is very good. He has a chance to put up good numbers this season if Castillo's scheme continues its good work.

- I can't believe we've signed a failed first round tackle in Ifedi, stuck him at guard and it's working so well. Yeah fair play on that one Mr Pace.

- Jaylon Johnson and Darnell Mooney can play, we had no first round pick and three of our draft picks our playing a lot already, with these two guys as starters. Seriously excited to see how they both continue to improve the rest of the season

- I'm loving this under center/play action style on offense. This is playing to Mitch's strengths. Credit to the offensive coaching staff for changing the offense and finding what suits the QB. Now just put it together for four quarters please

• Like 3

But Bears sending two lead blockers into a hole and neither of them a pulling G?  

They really did reinvent the running attack this offseason.  They had no grass offseason to do it with either.

Kind of impressive.  New Bears offensive coaches are low key making a huge difference.  Nagy is letting them coach too.  I don’t think he trusted other guys.

• Like 2

Ifedi had another great game.  

Here is my criticism of Bears coaches and Pace.  They don’t put enough stock in practice.   

You need to notice Long, Shaheen, Burton are bad in practice and move to replace them before they hurt you in games.  Now it is same with Trevathan.

You need to notice Ifedi is killing it in practice and move to redo his contract while he is relatively cheap.   You are going to let him have a stellar season for all to see.   Become a FA and lose him or get priced out and O line is going back to square one.  Or he is going to kill your cap.

At least they noticed Johnson and Mooney and didn’t give them rookie treatment and make them wait to play.   Kudos for that.   

• Like 2

Mitch running old school veer.   

Read is 44 and (shocker) MT makes correct HS read which he often screwed up last year.   Another plus for Mitch on improved play.  

Value of HS plays is MLB 54 is also completely fooled as he isn't expecting a HS play.  

All we have to do is get a seal block on NT ... and we don't even though we have angle because Lawrence is simply bigger and stronger than Whitehair.  But Whitehair should have put his body between himself and hole so Lawrence had to pancake him to make the tackle instead of staying square.  He also stopped his feet.  

We ran it as power too for an extra blocker that we didn't even need.  Daniels had no one to block.  He should have kept going to upfield and went safety hunting for the big play.  But that isn't a big deal.

We were a Whitehair block away from a huge gain here.   Football can be frustrating that way.   One guy.  All it takes.  One guy.  

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Mitch running old school veer.   

Read is 44 and (shocker) MT makes correct HS read which he often screwed up last year.   Another plus for Mitch on improved play.  

Value of HS plays is MLB 54 is also completely fooled as he isn't expecting a HS play.  

All we have to do is get a seal block on NT ... and we don't even though we have angle because Lawrence is simply bigger and stronger than Whitehair.  But Whitehair should have put his body between himself and hole so Lawrence had to pancake him to make the tackle instead of staying square.  He also stopped his feet.  

We ran it as power too for an extra blocker that we didn't even need.  Daniels had no one to block.  He should have kept going to upfield and went safety hunting for the big play.  But that isn't a big deal.

We were a Whitehair block away from a huge gain here.   Football can be frustrating that way.   One guy.  All it takes.  One guy.  

This play kind of puts lie to idea that DTs don't bring value anymore.  Lawerence single handily stopped what would have likely been a 12+ yard gain.

If its Ravens QB he might take it 90.

After Mooney’s TD catch on #25 Balletine or however you spell it was benched.  For good.  Because he is awful and not an NFL level starting CB.  

He was not the read on that play.  He was an after thought on a scramble.

I said before the game Bears needed to be targeting 25.   And I am not saying that to toot my horn.  For any football person that should have been obvious.  

That was on one watch of one game on condensed Or coaches which is also condensed.  These guys have a lot of men watching hours and hours of tape 10 hours a day.

Do better.  Always attack where they are weak or where you have a mismatch!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

After Mooney’s TD catch on #25 Balletine or however you spell it was benched.  For good.  Because he is awful and not an NFL level starting CB.  

He was not the read on that play.  He was an after thought on a scramble.

I said before the game Bears needed to be targeting 25.   And I am not saying that to toot my horn.  For any football person that should have been obvious.  

That was on one watch of one game on condensed Or coaches which is also condensed.  These guys have a lot of men watching hours and hours of tape 10 hours a day.

Do better.  Always attack where they are weak or where you have a mismatch!

He was their 6th rounder last year that got shot right after the draft