Week 3: Titans (2-0) at VIKINGS (0-2)

swede700

On 9/30/2020 at 4:12 AM, SemperFeist said:

If you’re hoping, cheering, and/or wishing for a team to lose, you’re not a fan of that team. It’s that simple. 

There is no wrong way to be a fan of a team (other than being a jerk to other people). I'm not sure why you feel you can tell others how they should behave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

There is no wrong way to be a fan of a team (other than being a jerk to other people). I'm not sure why you feel you can tell others how they should behave.

There is a right way and a wrong way to everything. Since the objective of every game is to win, cheering to lose would be the wrong way. 

On 10/1/2020 at 12:20 PM, SemperFeist said:

There is a right way and a wrong way to everything. Since the objective of every game is to win, cheering to lose would be the wrong way. 

I cheer for GB to lose. I’m not a fan of GB. I support the Vikings and have for over 50 years. I expect this organization to field a competitive team and cheer for them to win...always! 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 7:54 AM, Cearbhall said:

That's a narrow view. If the goal is the win a championship and you root for what you believe is the best means to that end you are are fan of the team. Getting a high pick is a possibly strategy to build a team that wins the Super Bowl. 

I can't say that I subscribe to that school of thought myself, but I wouldn't go as far as saying people that want the team to win the championship -- and are rooting for what they feel is the best route to that goal -- are not fans of the team. 

I can't say that I feel there is any hope of a championship this year. Given that, it is debatable whether winning games helps the team in the longer view. I don't know. What I do know is that I just want to win. I always want to win. No matter what, I want to win, win, win. I personally feel that trying to win all the time at everything instills the competitiveness needed to continually improve. I always try to win and I want the team I root for to always try to win.

I just can't go as far as saying that someone that doesn't have the same view as me isn't a fan. They have a plan. It might not be the right plan, but my plan also might not be the right plan. Sometimes in Chess I sacrifice a piece to setup a play 3-4 turns away when I see a clear plan. Why can't that be valid in football too? My pause is that I don't have the clarity with the plan to sacrifice games now leading to more important wins later. But they see that. They are rooting for it. They are fans.

The clearest explanation for describing tanking I have ever heard man, anyone who has a problem with fans that are ok with tanking should read this. I totally understand where you’re coming from on going for Ws, but I am looking at it from a more realistic reason. If we make the playoffs, ppl can say what they want, we are NOT a good team as constructed. Football can be any given Sunday, but to be great you NEED pieces as luck doesn’t always help. Last season should clearly show that as San Fran completely dominated us. We scored one td, and that was to the guy we traded away. Our current QB simply needs near perfection to play great. Our oline and weapons for him are far from that. 

• Like 1