Microsoft purchases Bethesda

naptownskinsfan

Here's what I posted in the Xbox thread if we're moving discussion here:

Microsoft has purchased Bethesda Softworks, the company famously known for creating the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. In addition, they will now own the DOOM franchise, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Prey, Quake, The Evil Within, and Starfield, Bethesdas new IP. Whether or not this means these games won't come to PS5 remains to be seen. Historically, when Microsoft purchased Minecraft, they continued to support the game on PlayStation. Things do seem to be a bit different this time, however, as Microsoft is struggling behind Sony in releasing quality games to sell their console. Pretty wild acquisition.

They've also announced, as you'd expect, that all of these games will be coming to Xbox Game Pass. That part is absolutely huge IMO.

Edit: In Todd Howards exclusive statement, he said the following:

Like our original partnership, this one is about more than one system or one screen. We share a deep belief in the fundamental power of games, in their ability to connect, empower, and bring joy. And a belief we should bring that to everyone - regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one.

This sounds to me like games will still be available on every platform. I bet we don't get anything concrete, however, until well after the consoles are released to give sales/adoption a boost. Smart.

Phil Spencer has said future Bethesda games will be on PS5/Switch on a "case by case basis."

Exactly the ambiguous response I had expected and that is really smart for them. They want people to be unsure about their approach going forward to move more units and hype up the Xbox. There will, IMO, definitely be content that will be exclusive to Xbox for these games (maybe even a timed exclusivity?), but the games will all find themselves on the Playstation ecosystem one way or another.

Edited by elevators_rule

Good god, didn’t expect this. What a move.

I think the beautiful move here is Microsoft doesn’t need to make everything exclusive. If you want to play on a PS5 or Switch that’s fine, franchises like Doom, Fallout and Elder Scrolls will be there. But you’ll buy the game at $60-$70 dollars per game. Or you can play all of them on Xbox and PC and pay $10-$15 dollars a month ($120-$180 a year) and the Xbox game studios games too. It gives you the choice but if you’re trying to not spend tons of money it makes sense to play on Xbox/PC. That will sway people.

I think long running franchise will definitely stay multiplat (Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout). But probably Arkane and any new IP will have a chance to be exclusive to Xbox/PC. Biggest question mark is Starfield.

So that brings Microsoft up to 22 teams now right? Crazy compared to where they were a couple years ago.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The big games (Fallout, Elder Scrolls, DOOM, etc) Will still be on every console, just because they would be losing out on too much money not to release them, but I'd expect the smaller games to be exclusive.

This is complete speculation and everyone's hope. They only mentioned two games so far that were suppose to be on PS5....There's 7.5 billion reason why these game could be exclusives 

5 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The big games (Fallout, Elder Scrolls, DOOM, etc) Will still be on every console, just because they would be losing out on too much money not to release them, but I'd expect the smaller games to be exclusive.

Yeah, they will say similar to Minecraft they don’t want take any beloved franchises away from fans but it’s 100% about that cash. Fallout and Elder Scrolls are a guaranteed billion. Same with Doom probably.

The tier I’m wondering is like Machine Games and Arkane. Will Wolfenstein stay multiplat? Dishonored, if they continue it? 

And what about Starfield?

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Day one for what?  And what is Gamepass? 

Day one as in like launch day for a game. It is available right away.

Xbox Gamepass is a subscription service. You pay $9.99 a month and get access to it. All Xbox games are on there and every new one is added the day it launches. They also will have a bunch of games from other studios, like Red Dead was on there, Resident Evil, the Batman games and other stuff you might not have played. Usually there is like 100-200 games. With this deal though the entire back catalogue of Bethesda- Zenimax will be added so will be more. They also will launch a lot of indies day one on there too.

There is another tier called Gamepass ultimate that costs $15/ month. You get everything in the other tier + Xbox Live Gold (though there is rumors Xbox is getting rid of the need to pay for online) + EA Play (trials to all new EA games and the games when they hit the vault a couple months after release) + xCloud (Xbox’s Stadia like service where you can play anywhere — Phone tablet PC — and stream the game. + other little perks.