Microsoft purchases Bethesda

naptownskinsfan

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

This is what would be best for everyone.

It would be, but almost impossible in likelihood. Parity doesn't benefit both of them equally. It'll almost benefit the "loser" more and the "winner" less. In this case winner/loser is defined by who has had the better exclusives. Parity would be bad for Sony. Single player exclusives are what have separated them from Xbox for the last 10 years. To trade games would be to give up their advantage. On the other hand, if Microsoft took the lead this gen with their exclusives, then they would never want parity because of the same reasons. It's a cool idea, but unfortunately I never see it coming to light.

Edited by elevators_rule

14 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

Great move by Microsoft again. This is the first time they've had a good group of exclusives to be excited for since... well I actually don't remember when. Maybe like 2007-2010? This is going to be very good for competition.

Yeah that period was great. Really 2006 - 2008 in particular was great. Had Gears, Crackdown, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Fable 2, Gears 2, Alan Wake, Left 4 Dead, and a handful of others. Plus Oblivion, Bioshock and others came out early...either do to 360 coming out a year earlier than PS3 or taking longer to port to PS3 at that point.

In general was a great time in the industry with a lot of multiplat franchises starting, PS3’s library really building towards the latter part that set them up for the decade and Wii being so big.

Kinect and over confidence really cratered Xbox for awhile.

22 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Phil pretty much puts an end to it.

Bethesda will be exclusive to platforms Gamepass exists, so for now Xbox, PC and xCloud.
Outside of any contractual obligations (Deathloop, Ghostwire) or ongoing games (Fallout 76, TESO) 

Doesn't answer anything specifically but about as definite an answer we'll get til the summer.
Which they teased would be a show.

These games will be put into gamepass tomorrow, Aaron Greenberg mentioned they are looking into FPS boost and other enhancements for a lot of the Bethesda titles.

5x0zuxl1xfm61.png

Notice the wording he uses.... exclusive to platforms where Game Pass exist. He didn't say exclusive to Xbox and PC, which he could have said. That's because the ultimate goal is to have Game Pass on every platform.

I think over the next 5-10 years, Xbox will start to bow out as far as being a competitor to Sony and focus almost entirely on software. Then we'll see them come together and Xbox stuff on PS.

16 minutes ago, showtime said:

Notice the wording he uses.... exclusive to platforms where Game Pass exist. He didn't say exclusive to Xbox and PC, which he could have said. That's because the ultimate goal is to have Game Pass on every platform.

I think over the next 5-10 years, Xbox will start to bow out as far as being a competitor to Sony and focus almost entirely on software. Then we'll see them come together and Xbox stuff on PS.

Yep, the wording was very specific. If you want these games...come to this platform. Their platform is a service now. I don’t see Gamepass coming to PS anytime soon. But we’ll see how the next few years go. If they land on the Fall 2021-Fall 2023 slate, Bethesda releases some big stuff only on Gamepass and they add some other stuff along the way...you open Sony up to allowing GP in. Or they try to make their own. I’m curious if Microsoft and Nintendo ever work anything out.

I don’t know about them bowing out of consoles. They’ll always have to look at ways to push and be mindful of hardware with PC. Phil has spoken on the need to have those console experiences for people and it helps set a benchmark.

In general with internet speeds, ai/machine learning and other advancements we’ll move past the need for consoles and user end hardware at some point but that’s further out. 
I think when the next gen hits at the end of the decade we’ll see Sony make a PS6, and Xbox will follow the same blueprint they did this time. Make a premium box at the top of the market (maybe even moreso than this time), make an affordable model that cuts corners where they can for people who don’t need the premium in everything. and I think they’ll add a micro console that has some hardware to it but essentially let’s you plug it in to any screen and play via xcloud. They’ll also sometime in the next couple years come out with a 1st party controller built for playing on your phone. There are some 3rd party ones already.

Also to be considered is what Amazon is going to do, Google already bowed out after Stadia bombed. If Amazon made some plays to buy up stuff I think it pushes Sony and Microsoft together. Keeping Google and Amazon out of the gaming space is what the last 5 years of Xbox have been primarily about.

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Confirmed that Starfield will be Xbox and PC exclusive. Oof

Yeah I saw that trending, Grubb has a solid track record so I’ll take his word for it.

I thought what Phil said back in March made that kinda obvious…but I know a lot of people need an airtight declaration. Once it came out Sony was trying to buy exclusivity and then Microsoft bought the company I figured it would.

First of many.

Bunch of leaks from an old (2018) build have come out more and more. Excited to see it next month.

https://twistedvoxel.com/starfield-leaked-screenshots-factions/

starfield-leaked-screenshots-5.jpeg

starfield-leaked-screenshots-1.jpeg

starfield-leaked-screenshots-2.png

In other Bethesda news there was a leak that Arkane Austin (Prey)’s next came is a dark vampire game codenamed Omen. Would get revealed at E3 and reportedly out next spring. 

Which if you consider Starfield, Wolfenstein 3 and then “Omen” would all be coming out likely Sept 2021 to May 2022, it makes the Bethesda deal make way more sense. Because their current slate of games (Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark, Hellblade II, etc) won’t be ready until Fall 2022 or later. And Halo got delayed probably while they were negotiating the Bethesda deal last August. So 2021 would’ve been pretty barren. Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon and a bunch of smaller games.

17 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

To be fair, Bethesda RPG's should only ever be played on PC - so you can mod it enough to fix the bugs.

I like playing single player games like this on my couch. Sad day. Maybe my gf and I will buy an Xbox together tbh