Sign in to follow this  
naptownskinsfan

Microsoft purchases Bethesda

2 hours ago, animaltested said:

Does everyone forget about Alpha Protocol and Outer Worlds?

I mean I know people literally forgot they existed.

An Obsidian Isometric cRPG set in the Fallout universe might be cool. idk. 

Alpha Protocol was solid.  I still need to play Outer Worlds.  I was in video game break after powering through AC Origins and then AC Odyssey during the lockdown portion of the pandemic. 

11 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think for Microsoft/Xbox they are just as happy with that since it's their platform too. They just want Gamepass subscribers. This keeps people in their ecosystems.
Could see them buying a part (or all) of some these hardware manufacturers too so they get a cut no matter what. 

Bethesda/Zenimax has done a couple lackluster things businesswise (and Fallout 76) but revitalization of Doom, Wolfenstein and the other games have all been pretty great.
It seems like the actually Bethesda Studio decided to take a break and redo the engine finally (Todd said this today), so that explains why besides 76 there will be a 6 year release difference from them, maybe even 7. But they should have Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 out by 2026, especially now that Obsidian and InXile can help on development. They are still one of the best publishers out there, this should help stop them from doing some of the crappier things the publisher started to do.

Fair enough.

Honestly didn't know Doom was from Bethesda,  but Ive heard good things.

28 minutes ago, showtime said:

Here's what I think happens in the long term.  Those games like future Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc. will be on Playstation consoles with a catch.  Game Pass will be on Playstation consoles, and if you want to play those games, you have to subscribe to Game Pass.  This way everyone wins.... Playstation users can play those games and Microsoft gets a financial cut of every Playstation user who is playing those games + they get Playstation users into the Game Pass ecosystem.

Could happen eventually, I think Switch would happen sooner. The issue is will Sony and Nintendo give up their cut of game sales?
One counter would be them having xCloud launching somewhat removes the need to get it every console, because almost everyone has either a phone or browser.
I'd imagine they will start doing deals with the TV manufacturers to just have a xCloud / Gamepass app on TVs soon. So they don't really need to loop Sony or Nintendo in necessarily.

I think the step between that is pretty simple. Some games come to Playstation, like these timed exclusives (Deathloop & Ghostwire Tokyo), Doom and Elder Scrolls 6. But they are $70.
Whereas on Xbox they launch right into Gamepass, perhaps even like 4-7 days early like they did with Gears.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Could happen eventually, I think Switch would happen sooner. The issue is will Sony and Nintendo give up their cut of game sales?
One counter would be them having xCloud launching somewhat removes the need to get it every console, because almost everyone has either a phone or browser.
I'd imagine they will start doing deals with the TV manufacturers to just have a xCloud / Gamepass app on TVs soon. So they don't really need to loop Sony or Nintendo in necessarily.

I think the step between that is pretty simple. Some games come to Playstation, like these timed exclusives (Deathloop & Ghostwire Tokyo), Doom and Elder Scrolls 6. But they are $70.
Whereas on Xbox they launch right into Gamepass, perhaps even like 4-7 days early like they did with Gears.

Nintendo doesn't have a console that has the hardware to run next-gen games.  Also, Sony and Nintendo don't have much of a choice.  Microsoft didn't just spend $7.5 billion so that all these games can continue to be on all consoles like they have been in the past. 

Microsoft has been in the forefront of pushing software sales and getting people into their ecosystem.  Their business model is a massive contrast from both Nintendo and Sony, which are much more closed off.  Microsoft wants to include as many people as possible into their ecosystem, which is why they go hard on PC gamers and now xCloud. 

What I said was just a prediction, but I really feel like Game Pass will be on both Nintendo and Sony consoles in the future.  Sony can have Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, etc on their platform, but it's going to be done through Microsoft and them getting millions of more gamers into the Game Pass ecosystem.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, showtime said:

Nintendo doesn't have a console that has the hardware to run next-gen games.  Also, Sony and Nintendo don't have much of a choice.  Microsoft didn't just spend $7.5 billion so that all these games can continue to be on all consoles like they have been in the past. 

Microsoft has been in the forefront of pushing software sales and getting people into their ecosystem.  Their business model is a massive contrast from both Nintendo and Sony, which are much more closed off.  Microsoft wants to include as many people as possible into their ecosystem, which is why they go hard on PC gamers and now xCloud. 

What I said was just a prediction, but I really feel like Game Pass will be on both Nintendo and Sony consoles in the future.  Sony can have Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, etc on their platform, but it's going to be done through Microsoft and them getting millions of more gamers into the Game Pass ecosystem.

Not sure if I can buy Microsoft authorizing the resources from Bethesda for their higher end games to be downscaled so much for the Switch or it's still technologically lacking successor. The Series S will look like a powerhouse comparatively speaking. MS will stop support for the Xbox One by the time Nintendo comes our with their new console, and it's going to be hard to optimize games for hardware that's so sluggish.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Not sure if I can buy Microsoft authorizing the resources from Bethesda for their higher end games to be downscaled so much for the Switch or it's still technologically lacking successor. The Series S will look like a powerhouse comparatively speaking. MS will stop support for the Xbox One by the time Nintendo comes our with their new console, and it's going to be hard to optimize games for hardware that's so sluggish.

Well, there are rumors of a next gen Nintendo console being show sometime in 2021.  The assumption is that it will be underpowered compared to be the Xbox and Playstation, but you never know with Nintendo.  They might release something that's in the ball park of the Xbox Series S.... but that's being extremely hopeful lol

7 minutes ago, showtime said:

One would assume we’ll get scaled down late ports to Switch going forward, especially with the rumored iteration coming next year. 

But I think you’re right, this is a big enough move to force the other platforms to allow Gamepass if that’s what they want. Between PC, Mobile and Xbox they have the largest platform...which has always seemed to be Phil’s move once it was obvious they were stuck behind numbers wise with just Xbox vs PlayStation.

I think what you said could happen for sure, but might just be further out. Would kinda kill their console business right now. They still have some preference for people playing on Xbox and PC because of all the additional income it brings outside Gamepass. So what would be the incentives there? Need to figure that out.

9 minutes ago, showtime said:

Well, there are rumors of a next gen Nintendo console being show sometime in 2021.  The assumption is that it will be underpowered compared to be the Xbox and Playstation, but you never know with Nintendo.  They might release something that's in the ball park of the Xbox Series S.... but that's being extremely hopeful lol

Sticking with the crazy ways this could go. If they do bring Gamepass to switch I wonder if a big part of the move would be xCloud too. Benefits both companies. Switch becomes the best xCloud dedicated device there is and switch only gamers can finally play aaa 3rd party games day one. Crazy that this stuff isn’t laughable.

That's why the whole Xbox vs Playstation debate, in terms of number of consoles sold, doesn't matter much anymore.  Ever since Phil Spencer started running the show, he's had a different focus.  I think the biggest thing Microsoft wants is to get people tied into Game Pass and the Xbox ecosystem.  Game Pass on Xbox is even better with the purchase of Bethesda and with the integration of EA Play.

What Phil Spencer has done with Xbox since that abysmal launch of the Xbox One back in 2013 is insane.  The guy is a genius level business mind.

16 minutes ago, showtime said:

What Phil Spencer has done with Xbox since that abysmal launch of the Xbox One back in 2013 is insane.  The guy is a genius level business mind.

Don Matrich set back Xbox by 10 years, Phil Spencer has breathed new life into it. Once all of their studios' AAA games start coming out, they'll be ahead of the curve and Sony will be playing catchup.

Don't forget xCloud is also in Game Pass ultimate.

Been a lot of reports of Sony throwing a ton of money at getting exclusive content (like Spider-man in Avengers), timed exclusives (like Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo) or Console exclusivity (like Final Fantasy 16). If true, it makes sense... Starfield would've been a big get even if it was just timed. Makes more sense just to buy the companies than pay the amount of money some of those exclusivity deals cost. Know Phil has said he was pretty much done with those for ahile save for a few things for gamepass.

7 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Been a lot of reports of Sony throwing a ton of money at getting exclusive content (like Spider-man in Avengers), timed exclusives (like Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo) or Console exclusivity (like Final Fantasy 16). If true, it makes sense... Starfield would've been a big get even if it was just timed. Makes more sense just to buy the companies than pay the amount of money some of those exclusivity deals cost. Know Phil has said he was pretty much done with those for ahile save for a few things for gamepass.

Playstation fans love to say "it'd be ****ty if MS made these long running franchises exclusive"

Meanwhile Playstation has made Final Fantasy XVI exclusive after Final Fantasy XV was multiplat.

I think major Bethesda titles will be at the very least timed-exclusives for Xbox.

Man, GamePass is not going to be on PS5 lmao. Can see why MS would be ok with that, but no way Sony would

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Danger said:

Playstation fans love to say "it'd be ****ty if MS made these long running franchises exclusive"

Meanwhile Playstation has made Final Fantasy XVI exclusive after Final Fantasy XV was multiplat.

I think major Bethesda titles will be at the very least timed-exclusives for Xbox.

They are both kinda in the same boat, Bethesda has been extremely close to Microsoft their entire existence. Only equally coming to other platforms for less than a decade. Elder Scrolls in particular has a long history with Xbox, Morrowind on OG Xbox was a big gamble at the time and showed those big PC RPGs could be on console. Oblivion kinda defined RPGs for awhile and was a launch window title (think originally was supposed to be there at the 360’s launch) and was only on Xbox for a bit.

Whereas Final Fantasy has been mostly Sony for theirs, did 13 ever come out on Xbox or PC? 

To liken it to football...They are both kinda in the camp of something like the Rams moving back to LA. Yeah they won a Super Bowl in St. Louis, but most of their history was in LA...so it wasn’t so big of a deal for them to go back. Compared to something like the Baltimore Colts moving in the middle of the night, taking the team and history with them from the city. Which I feel like if you switched this it’d feel more like.

Especially traveling around other sites there is a lot of hypocrisy about this though. The more I sit with it the more I kind of realize that no, there are going to be a lot of exclusives from this. They have Xbox, PC and now xCloud, vast majority has access to at least one of those. Probably the sweet spot for them is allowing some to come to other platforms later. Basically do what Sony is trying to do right now but from a publisher level.

11 hours ago, Danger said:

Don Matrich set back Xbox by 10 years, Phil Spencer has breathed new life into it. Once all of their studios' AAA games start coming out, they'll be ahead of the curve and Sony will be playing catchup.

I think most of your statement is correct, but I'm not sure Sony will be playing catchup. Unless they're Skype blowing the 10 year lead.