Microsoft purchases Bethesda

naptownskinsfan

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

The Amazon thing is interesting. They are the one company that I would trust to pull of cloud gaming, given half the internet is powered by AWS, and their Twitch tie-in.

Yeah they are coming in the right way too with a subscription service rather than stadia’s traditional by game method. They both need to compete with xCloud being so integrated into the Xbox ecosystem. 

A couple years ago when Phil said Google, Amazon were their real competition, this is really what it was. Them and Apple are really the only ones who can throw money around and build Gamepass and xCloud competitors. Which I think if you think of the prospect of any of the four buying Bethesda, Microsoft buying them was by far the best result for traditional gaming. Keeps things at least somewhat normal. Not really looking forward to either of those two buying up studios and locking away content...which maybe they wouldn’t idk. 

This idea Microsoft is doing is similar to what they do on computers right now.  Everyone here who owns a computer has Microsoft software on it.  Whether you have Windows 10, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.  Even if you have a Mac, there's a solid chance you have Windows on it or products from Microsoft.

Microsoft doesn't make computers (hardware), but they have software that everyone needs to put on their computer. 

This is the same strategy Microsoft is going to use in the console world.  There are options people have when it comes to gaming:  Mobile, PC, Playstation, Xbox, and Nintendo.  In the past, if someone chooses to game on Nintendo, then Microsoft is phased out of their profits.  UNLESS we create a product that will be on every platform (like Windows is on computers).  Game Pass is that software.  It'll be on every platform you can play games on; therefore, no matter where people are playing games, Microsoft is making profit.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Deal looks to be wrapping up the legal side of things very soon, holdup was some oversight from the EU.

Rumors are there will be some sort of event from Microsoft in March to go over the Bethesda stuff. Some games people have NDAs currently about it.

If they are going over some of the games coming you’d assume they will hit on Indiana Jones and what that is, mention Elder Scrolls 6 (why you pay that much) and very likely debut something with Starfield. Maybe they do do a deep dive on all the studios, but given two are making timed console exclusives for Sony I’m not so sure...best they could do is casually say they’ll be on PC Gamepass.

They have to address the exclusivity elephant somewhere there, which you wouldn’t announce it’s not exclusive at a special event. So if that’s the case, and they stay multiplat for bigger titles, I’d imagine a blog post beforehand to cut that off.

10 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Deal looks to be wrapping up the legal side of things very soon, holdup was some oversight from the EU.

Rumors are there will be some sort of event from Microsoft in March to go over the Bethesda stuff. Some games people have NDAs currently about it.

If they are going over some of the games coming you’d assume they will hit on Indiana Jones and what that is, mention Elder Scrolls 6 (why you pay that much) and very likely debut something with Starfield. Maybe they do do a deep dive on all the studios, but given two are making timed console exclusives for Sony I’m not so sure...best they could do is casually say they’ll be on PC Gamepass.

They have to address the exclusivity elephant somewhere there, which you wouldn’t announce it’s not exclusive at a special event. So if that’s the case, and they stay multiplat for bigger titles, I’d imagine a blog post beforehand to cut that off.

I'm willing to bet Phil says something to the extent of "And you can play it first on Xbox" simply leaving it to be a timed exclusive.

They'll come out probably 1 year later on PS5.

1 hour ago, elevators_rule said:

I'm willing to bet Phil says something to the extent of "And you can play it first on Xbox" simply leaving it to be a timed exclusive.

They'll come out probably 1 year later on PS5.

Could go any number of ways. And it could be a mix of both.

Like if they are throwing this event it could be that they just do some Starfield stuff and say that that is coming exclusively to Microsoft platforms. Perhaps the same with the Indiana Jones game. And just don’t address stuff like Wolfenstein 3, TES 6 will be multiplat with timed exclusivity and/or just on Gamepass.

I’m curious how much of it would be talking about merging and how much will be on what’s to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Phil Spencer made an official announcement:

Included in that article is a brief statement about exclusivity:

With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players.

Looks like some titles will definitely be exclusive to PC/Xbox, while others will probably get exclusive content or early content to make it "the best place to play."

Nothing surprising. Still expect to see large IPs multiplatform and then maybe some new franchises or smaller stuff XBOX/PC exclusive. 

I still think Fallout, Starfield, Elder Scrolls will all release multi platform.