LionArkie

The way too early do over

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

The firing of Patricia wouldn’t impact future coaching hires at all. The Fords, the incompetence of the organization and 50 plus years of losing would be far more detrimental than simply firing your coach. Organizations that have the ability to recognize failure, move on and take steps to correct their errors are usually front runners for qualified candidates. 

Prospective coaches look at the quality of the opportunity and chance for success, which can be determined by numerous factors not the least of which is the GM. 

Detroits situation is far different than San Francisco. Making a comparison between the organizations  requires far more analysis than an off the cuff comment. You’re also assuming had they chosen to fire Shanny that the replacement coach wouldn’t replicate the Niners success.   Each organization has different roster shortcomings,  identity, Strengths and weaknesses. What’s the right move for one organization is flat out wrong for another. SAN Francisco was entering a total rebuild coming off a 2-14 season. He entered 2017 with a mess at QB but once they committed to Jimmy G they turned the corner. 2017 they won the last 5 games. 2018 saw them lose Jimmy G in week 3. combined with other injuries they suffered a setback. 

The Lions were a winning program when Patricia took over the team. He and Quinn have driven the team into the ground with their determination to create the Detroit Patriots.  For comparison the  Denver organization didn’t waste three years determining McDaniels future. They recognized the error and terminated him in the second season. 

Only one NFL team that fired a coach with a winning record improved the next year. Have a look at coaches with winning records that were fired. Something should jump off the page it’s so obvious.

The entire Caldwell firing and Patricia hiring has proven to be a Lion move. A rookie GM fires winningest Lions coach in the Super Bowl era to replace him with his buddy, a rookie head coach with no head coaching experience, at any level only to have the bottom drop out. After two seasons where the Lions regressed each year they are 0-2, mired in an 0-11 run which is the second worst Lions losing streak that I can remember,  Now they’re off to the desert to face a QB that lead Arizona to a tie with the Lions in his first ever game. 

Flag is thrown - Personal foul - Retaliatory attempted thread derailment on #1252, automatic first down.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm going to send you a case of Cherry flavoured Mountain Dew.

That's just mean.  I need a moderator over here quick! I've just been threatened!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

That's just mean.  I need a moderator over here quick! I've just been threatened!

It's only a threat if it includes waterboarding with said Mountain Dew to the lyrical musings of a Nicki Minaj/Cardi B collaboration. Then you can call DHS. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

It's only a threat if it includes waterboarding with said Mountain Dew to the lyrical musings of a Nicki Minaj/Cardi B collaboration. Then you can call DHS. 

🤣🤣🤣

On 9/22/2020 at 7:58 AM, LionArkie said:

I was hoping this thread would not to be all about a regime change as every other thread for the past 3 years has turned into, but who would you have picked differently.

Since you were opposed to the last two 1st round picks and looking at this team today, who would you have rather seen drafted? How would you have made this team better today with players, not management.

I wanted Isiah Simmons, LB. Clemson and Ed Oliver, DT. Houston. Wouldn't of traded Slay, wouldn't of focused on the defense as hard and focused on pass rushing and the Oline. 

Idk, you can look up my posts.

Lions draft:

1st – Isaiah Simmons, LB/S. Clemson. ( 6’4, 235lbs. )

2nd – A.J. Terrell, CB. Clemson. ( 6’1, 195lbs. )

3rd – J.K. Dobbins, RB. Ohio State. ( 5’9, 210lbs. )

3rd – Darrell Taylor, DE. Tennessee. ( 6’4, 265lbs. )

4th – Bryan Edwards, WR. South Carolina. ( 6’3, 210lbs. )

5th – Hakeem Adeniji, OL. Kansas. ( 6’4, 305lbs. )

5th – Colby Parkinson, TE. Stanford. ( 6’7, 250lbs. )

6th – Justin Herron, OL. Wake Forest. ( 6’4, 310lbs. )

7th – John Hightower, WR. Boise State. ( 6’1, 185lbs. )

This is what I would like to see assuming there isn't a trade down or any movement. 

PG 29. 

I'm just telling you what I think. It's just an opinion. I literally don't need the Lions "film" to decide how good a kid is. I don't need the Lions ideology at all really. I understand what you are saying about schemes, fits, and roles. But because I wanna spend picks on different positions/assets doesn't mean I lost sight of what the team is after or trying to achieve. I think it's complete miss management to ignore the TE position one year(last season) and follow it up by spending 30 some million on a TE, then spend a 1st rdp on a TE, and basically have back ups/fringe starters competing at RG for the role. Not to also mention we're relying on fringe starters to play the outside at CB(unless they force Coleman outside) and also look thin on the edge after the two starters... *Austin Bryant could change that, I did like they drafted him late.*

An I personally, I'd of drafted Ed Oliver and Greedy Williams. Not saying either are Aaron Donald or Darrelle Revis but I think they're good players... Something like Idk,  a smaller Tommie Harris and a taller Leodis McKelvin. Yeah Idk, Oliver/Greedy/Favorite OL prospect/Bryant would of made me more happy I guess. I just don't believe they'll be a playoff contender next year with the holes they've got or think Lions have. They have the season to play it out and prove me right or wrong.

As far as sack totals, there's a lot more impact to a DT play than just... Sack totals. How disruptive up the middle is a lot more important than just total sack numbers. He had a shot with the Lions to be on the line with a lot of 1on1's with Flowers/Harrison next to him. Situation on the Dline here is a little different than Buffalo

PG. 10

Who knows about Isiah Thomas right now, he looks bad. But I wouldn't of traded Slay, and spent money on the Oline. 

I liked some guys but man, a lot went above where I had them in my mock like Terrell(1st ), Dobbins(2nd), Taylor(2nd). I'll talk prospects most the time with anyone. I like watching football and seeing kids become really good players. I've done many mocks...

I just haven't liked this coach from the get, and turned on Quinn for the fire/hire even though I agreed with the firing on Jim Caldwell. The point was to go out and get someone better,(or lead to believe. ) They didn't do that, so then it got spun into a "retool" instead of a rebuild. A good hire for me would be someone like Tony Dungy as GM and Eric Bieniemy as HC. That would intrigue me and buy some attention/fan-hood equity for 2-4 seasons. 

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 2

I think me and you are on the same page as far as the same team we want to see. I like an inside out approach for the lines and team overall. A disruptive middle of the dL is a ***** to deal with no matter the opponents offense. We’ve had the picks to make that happen. I loved it when we went suh, fairly in back to back years. Keep your lines strong and deep and you’ll be in the race every year and you’ll make every other position look better. I have hated this regimes approach since day one, other than the work hard mentality and I think that might be overblown as well. I appreciate your post.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 8:05 AM, LionArkie said:

I think me and you are on the same page as far as the same team we want to see. I like an inside out approach for the lines and team overall. A disruptive middle of the dL is a ***** to deal with no matter the opponents offense. We’ve had the picks to make that happen. I loved it when we went suh, fairly in back to back years. Keep your lines strong and deep and you’ll be in the race every year and you’ll make every other position look better. I have hated this regimes approach since day one, other than the work hard mentality and I think that might be overblown as well. I appreciate your post.

Inside, outside, front to back! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Man I miss the Schwartz days...

Me too man. Me too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Man I miss the Schwartz days...

Schwartz was at least colourful. It seems there was always something exciting good or bad.🤠

Its seems to me with hindsight the team while woeful had more of an identity.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Schwartz was at least colourful. It seems there was always something exciting good or bad.🤠

Its seems to me with hindsight the team while woeful had more of an identity.

I felt a lot of his issue was roster depth.  He had a lot of top end talent, but the continual misses on the second round killed those teams. Was it 2009 or 2010, where that lions team when had jhavid best for like the first 3 games looked scary good? Once Best went down, it really hurt that team.  Although I liked detroit going back to back DL in consecutive years, there was a lot of concern about Fairly pre-draft.  I feel overall Shcwartz's downfall was more Mayhew then anything else. I know some will point to how they performed when Caldwell took over, but I still think Schwartz would have been more successful with that team.
Maybe I'm giving him way to much credit, but no one really wanted to play them. They were going to inflict pain and I really miss the aggressiveness.

Edited by LionArkie

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I felt a lot of his issue was roster depth.  He had a lot of top end talent, but the continual misses on the second round killed those teams. Was it 2009 or 2010, where that lions team when had jhavid best for like the first 3 games looked scary good? Once Best went down, it really hurt that team.  Although I liked detroit going back to back DL in consecutive years, there was a lot of concern about Fairly pre-draft.  I feel overall Shcwartz's downfall was more Mayhew then anything else. I know some will point to how they performed when Caldwell took over, but I still think Schwartz would have been more successful with that team.
Maybe I'm giving him way to much credit, but no one really wanted to play them. They were going to inflict pain and I really miss the aggressiveness.

What I do remember from the Schwartz days was the lack of discipline and abundance of penalties. That didn't help but I agree 100%... they were a tough group of SOB's and the defense was one people did not want to play against. Our secondary had a lot of holes and needed an infusion of talent. I do agree with your sentiments on Mayhew although Caldwell did take a 7-9 Lions team and turned them into an 11-5 team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

What I do remember from the Schwartz days was the lack of discipline and abundance of penalties. That didn't help but I agree 100%... they were a tough group of SOB's and the defense was one people did not want to play against. Our secondary had a lot of holes and needed an infusion of talent. I do agree with your sentiments on Mayhew although Caldwell did take a 7-9 Lions team and turned them into an 11-5 team. 

Yeah, that was something I liked about those years: Schwartz took a 0-16 team to the playoffs three years later, and teams hated playing us. We were tough, we were entertaining, and we were competitive. I recall his last season as coach of the Lions being a letdown, but that, despite finishing 7-9, a miracle, game-winning kick by Tucker in Week 15 and an OT loss to the Giants in Week 16 sealed that record.

Most importantly for me, had we kept Schwartz around, he wouldn't have let Suh walk. I loved watching Suh.

14 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, that was something I liked about those years: Schwartz took a 0-16 team to the playoffs three years later, and teams hated playing us. We were tough, we were entertaining, and we were competitive. I recall his last season as coach of the Lions being a letdown, but that, despite finishing 7-9, a miracle, game-winning kick by Tucker in Week 15 and an OT loss to the Giants in Week 16 sealed that record.

Most importantly for me, had we kept Schwartz around, he wouldn't have let Suh walk. I loved watching Suh.

Suh wanted the $100M contract and the no income tax situation in Miami plus... it's Miami... probably led to him walking one way or another. I don't think he was ever going to come back. However, we are probably going to draft Aaron Donald over Eric Ebron in order to maintain that philosophy knowing that you're going to lose either Suh and/or Fairley in FA the following year. 

14 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Suh wanted the $100M contract and the no income tax situation in Miami plus... it's Miami... probably led to him walking one way or another. I don't think he was ever going to come back. However, we are probably going to draft Aaron Donald over Eric Ebron in order to maintain that philosophy knowing that you're going to lose either Suh and/or Fairley in FA the following year. 

I recall Suh insisting that his agent was handling the contract, and that he would accept the best offer. It was my understanding that we could've kept him had we wanted to.