The way too early do over

LionArkie

7 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I recall Suh insisting that his agent was handling the contract, and that he would accept the best offer. It was my understanding that we could've kept him had we wanted to.

If you're receiving a $100M offer, the income tax would play a role. I don't know what Michigan's tax rate is but if you're looking at a 20% rate, the Lions would have had to offer $120M just to match or come close to Miami's. That's an annualized cap hit of $24M vs $20M. As much as I liked Suh the player, you're going to handcuff your team committing that kind of money to one guy. 

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

If you're receiving a $100M offer, the income tax would play a role. I don't know what Michigan's tax rate is but if you're looking at a 20% rate, the Lions would have had to offer $120M just to match or come close to Miami's. That's an annualized cap hit of $24M vs $20M. As much as I liked Suh the player, you're going to handcuff your team committing that kind of money to one guy. 

Yeah, I don't disagree. I'm just not sure if things would've been different had Schwartz remained.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, I don't disagree. I'm just not sure if things would've been different had Schwartz remained.

I feel like Schwartz would have banged the drum for someone like Donald over Ebron knowing that you're going to lose at least one of the two guys in Suh or Fairley. Nobody has a clue on how it really would have played out. However if your HC is a defensive minded coach that runs his defense front to back and emphasizes pressure from the defensive line, I have to imagine there would have been a preference there. 

• Like 1