Week 5 GDT: 49ers vs Colts, aka: our best shot to win a game?

Forge

So there is some news starting to trickle out about this game, so I wanted to get the new GDT up so that we had places to post it. First up? 

Quarterback notes

If he thought a shakeup at quarterback would help his winless team, Kyle Shanahan said Monday, he’d yank Brian Hoyer and replace him with rookie C.J. Beathard in an instant.

But he’s not there yet and said it’s not something he’s considering.

“You don’t want to lose perspective,” Shanahan said a day after an 18-15 overtime loss to the Arizona Cardinals. “You look at each game as it is. I know we’re 0-4 right now, but when you lose three games by a total of eight points, I know we very easily could be 3-1. You don’t want to make drastic changes for one reason.”

“I don’t look at it as Brian-vs.-C.J. right now,” Shanahan said. “I look at it as, ‘What’s best for our team right now?’ If I did feel that was the best thing for our team at this time, I wouldn’t hesitate at all. That would be an easy decision for me. … I don’t think it is the best thing right now. That’s something I haven’t started to consider.”

So I read that punt yards against we rank 2nd in the league at 1.7. That's a great and important stat. Pinion simply hasn't given opposing returns a chance to return his punts, and when he does, guys like Mosert are getting to the ball quickly.

I'm hoping Foster is a go this week. Shanny left the door open unlike last week. 

Far from a guarantee we win this game, especially with Hilton on the opposing side. Done picking us to win.

Ind 23 SF 20

Hoping Foster and Reid sit and potentially Hyde depending on what his true injury is. Team's too bad to risk long term injuries with our guys. I'd rather they play at 100% then fight to get in the line up and either make an injury worse or injure something else because they're compensating for their injury. 

Pinion has definitely been a bright spot. I've been very impressed. Just the way the balls coming off his foot is night and day vs last couple years. Seemed like he never got all of it before and now it looks like he's hitting it solid and putting it where he wants to. 

34 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I read that punt yards against we rank 2nd in the league at 1.7. That's a great and important stat. Pinion simply hasn't given opposing returns a chance to return his punts, and when he does, guys like Mosert are getting to the ball quickly.

I'm hoping Foster is a go this week. Shanny left the door open unlike last week. 

Far from a guarantee we win this game, especially with Hilton on the opposing side. Done picking us to win.

Ind 23 SF 20

I'm hoping Foster gets back too...he's falling behind in the DROY race lol (which I would probably give to White through the first quarter). But if he's not ready, or only part way there, by all means, sit him. 

I keep going back and forth on this game. I don't know what the deal is with Ryan Kelly for the colts. If he's back and ready to go, then that line will be somewhat improved. They just put his replacement, who actually did pretty well, on IR. They do not want a third string, signed off the street FA to be battling the likes of Buckner / Mitchell / Thomas / Armstead and whoever else may come through the inside. If Kelly is back, while the line isn't great, it isn't Cardinals / Seahawks level bad either, which means that we could struggle to create pressure and contain Brissett. I don't suspect that their run game will do much of anything at this point, but yeah, I have no idea what we are going to do about Hilton besides just hope that Brissett has a bad accuracy day lol. Doyle is still in the concussion protocol for them, so unsure if he'll be available to play. 

Defensively, they may be able to limit the run game against us, as in weeks 1-3 they were one of the better teams in the league at stopping the run on a ypa basis, but they were not great against the Seahawks, and that line is not good whatsoever. The Colts somehow managed to give up 4 runs of equal or greater yardage than the longest run they had given up in weeks 1-3. So that is promising. They did get Vontae Davis back last week, so I'm going to assume that will help their pass coverage a little, but I still have no idea who's getting to the opposing quarterback for them.  I guess Sheard?  

Well, our tackles are good so if they get pressure it will be up the middle.

Lattimore has been lights out so far to start the season. He's my DROY, though he did miss a game I believe. 

A loss to the Colts will confirm we are bottom two team in the league alongside the Browns. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not going to lie, hoping Frankie G has himself a nice game. Just can't root against him. Last time I felt this way was we played the Eagles with TO.

If Gore ran over us for 300 yards I would still be happy as a clam.

8 hours ago, Geek said:

If Gore ran over us for 300 yards I would still be happy as a clam.

Gore can put up any number he chooses against us, and I would be happy as can be. I'm actually glad they didn't give him the ball once he got within 5 yards of passing Dickerson. It's more fitting that he does it against us, because that's the last guy he's guaranteed to pass. He certainly looks likely to pass Bettis and Tomlinson as well, but he'll definitely get past Dickerson barring an injury on an opening 3 yard gain or shorter. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

FO update on our OL

Run blocking - 15th

Pass blocking - 23rd

So an improvement from the last few years, but still not good. And this is with having arguably a top 3 bookend duo in the game. 

Brutal game for our offensive line against the Cardinals - we were 7th in run blocking prior to that game (I happened to look yesterday for a reply in the week 4 GDT). 

Yeah, this is why it is good to wait until at least week 6 or so to get a good idea of how well the OL is playing. It fluctuates early by week, but the current rankings are probably pretty accurate in how well or in this case how bad they are playing. 

Archived