Week 5 GDT: 49ers vs Colts, aka: our best shot to win a game?

Forge

I need a big game from the 49ers defense this week...I was stuck with them as a streaming option in fantasy lol. 

Unfortunately, they are getting Ryan Kelly back to center their line, which is going to be a great help for them on the interior. I think without him, they were one of the worst teams in football to allow pressure from the interior, which played right into our strength, and were 30th in sacks per dropback. 

There still should be some opportunities for our defense. I don't expect another six sack performance, but a three sack performance with a forced fumble and INT is not out of the question. 

My prediction for this week is one of our corners finally come up with a INT. Pretty embarrassing four games in and we only have two INTs, but by non-corners lol.

Foster and Reid are both out, no shock there. 

Unfortunately, both Watson and Colbert are both out, which could have a meaningful impact on our special teams play, an area that we are surprisingly very, very good at (after the disaster that was the preseason in this regard). I think that this means that Pita may be active for the game, however, so that could be interesting. 

1 minute ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I'm ready for some Pita T action. but I also wouldnt mind seeing Elijah Lee if he's been better in practice. I know theyre different positions on D but i'm sure they play similar roles on ST's. 

I'm thinking that Lee has actually already been active for us. I'm almost positive he was last week or the week before because I remember seeing him out there on punt return coverage. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm thinking that Lee has actually already been active for us. I'm almost positive he was last week or the week before because I remember seeing him out there on punt return coverage. 

nice, i'll have to keep better track of that. Who was that other guy we signed a couple weeks back?

4 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

That Trent Brown comparison is a completely different situation, she's like apples to oranges....

Trent Brown having a missed block doesnt put him at risk of missing the next block attempt.

That Trent Brown comparison isn't a completely different situation, you didn't get the analogy. The analogy is, if you're going to make a criticism of a player - don't dedicate that criticism to the best performing player in that specific area. Instead of criticizing Trent Brown's blocking, maybe criticize the interior of the line which is actually terrible at it. Instead of criticizing the guy who played the most snaps for possibly ending up constantly injured, maybe dedicate that criticism to someone who DOES get injured constantly.

Because in that instance, it makes sense. 

But I get now that you were exaggerating initially (although I still don't get the point of the exaggeration). 

“He got lighter and in much better shape. It’s showing. It’s paying dividends on the field. So we’re thrilled with the way he’s playing. He’s got to continue to do it,” Lynch said on 95.7 The Game.

Lynch indicated that the 49ers have begun discussions about getting Hyde locked up to a contract extension.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/07/49ers-pleased-with-carlos-hydes-hard-work-in-a-contract-year/

I'm not sure if they will get something done during the season. Likely after the season if they want to bring him back. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/07/49ers-pleased-with-carlos-hydes-hard-work-in-a-contract-year/

I'm not sure if they will get something done during the season. Likely after the season if they want to bring him back. 

I support this if it's short - maybe 3 years. Money is irrelevant to me for the most part. But a lengthy contract for him would be unwise.

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

We will have our coming out party tomorrow. All parts will finally come together and we'll route the Colts. I'm going 34-13. 

Enjoy tomorrow because there won't be many more like it this season!

Coming out party for what? Botching our tank job again? lol

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Coming out party for what? Botching our tank job again? lol

Unfortunately, yes. But I think this will be one of our two wins this year.  I guess coming out party isn't the best way to put it.... that implies coming out for some purpose. 

On 10/6/2017 at 7:14 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Witherspoon will eventually get his shot this year.

As for Robinson, you have to stick with him. He's barely 22 years old and has little playing experience. These last two years are basically his junior and senior seasons in college. I wasn't as down with him for his performance vs AZ as others. Robinson still makes a lot of mistakes and his penalties are frustrating, but he made some nice plays last week. He's just not consistent enough at the moment. And he has stones for hands, and unlike Roberto Duran, that's not a good thing in football LOL. 

What he doesn't do at the LOS is get a good jam. Actually, a lot of times he doesn't get any jam which makes little sense for a guy with his frame. He's not the quickest guy so it is important he wins early. What he needs to do is watch some Asomugha film from his Raiders days. If he could implement something like that in his game, then we will have something.

He needs to mature, no doubt. I think the fact he had a couple picks in preseason was probably the worst thing that could have happened to him. He did not play well but had a splash play or two and thought he was Deon Sanders. 

He hasn't shown very good focus as of yet, and his bad plays are snowballing on him. I think some struggles will end up forcing him to change the way he approaches the game. He has natural ability but I'm starting to question if he is going to be a guy you can count on week in and week out. 

We shouldn't have cut Brock. 

It does feel like we are going to win this game. I think the offense will score some points and we get some turnovers. 

Archived