Week 5 GDT: 49ers vs Colts, aka: our best shot to win a game?

Forge

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You know what else is impressive? Shanahan accepting a penalty to make it 2nd and 20 instead of taking Buckner's sack to make it 3rd and 15....Again, not bitter at all...lol

Did he ever explain that? Because honestly, I'm completely baffled by that. 

In other news, I finished reading this book. A a decent read, if you want more information about the franchise before Bill Walsh's arrival...which no one seems to ever talk about.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YCY79EA/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

It chronicles year by year from 1946 to 1978 the 49ers franchise. Came out a couple years ago. Dave Newhouse goes around and interviews a lot of old players that were still around to talk about the organization throughout the various years it was owned by the Morabito family. What I took away from it overall is that the franchise did ride high and have some really good years where they could have been champions. In the AAFC they were probably the second best team next to Cleveland. After that they sputtered up and down in the NFL, but came close a couple of times going all the way. Namely in 1957 and later in the early 70's with three straight playoff appearances. I thought they would get into Joe Thomas more than they did, but that book basically ended by that point. I guess if anything, most people that maybe have a even a decent clue about the history of the franchise will know about Joe Thomas. Overall a decent read. 

Would be nice to have guys like Abe Woodson, Jimmy Johnson, Gene Washington, Forrest Blue, Bob St. Clair, and/or John Brodie on the roster right about now. 

Btw, I was just posting this here, because let's be  honest...no one is going to talk about it if it's in it's own thread. 

According to PFF, we also lead the league in drops. This has been a recurring theme since 2011. I'm pretty sure that we have been way up there in drops every year for the most part. According to sporting charts, 2013 was the only year we were outside of the top 15 in drop percentage. We've had 3 other years where we were second or third (and of course this year, we are first). If that is accurate, that means 4 years since 2011 where we have been top 3. That's insane (actually, should note that this year pff is grading on total drops - previous years were based on drop rate percentage, not total number of drops. We didn't throw enough to have the bulk numbers in that regard) 

Our WRs have always had problems with drops, even when we have had sure hand guys in Crabtree/Boldin. This year there have been some terrible drops. I didn't think the one with Garcon in the first quarter should have been counted as a drop though. It would have been a pretty difficult catch. 

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

I hope Frank runs for over 200 yards against the 49ers. He'd be helping us get that top pick. Go Frank!

I dont see that happening but I wouldnt mind much. Frank does look like he's moving similar to how he was the last few years so I expect a solid game from him. 

22 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I hope Frank runs for over 200 yards against the 49ers. He'd be helping us get that top pick. Go Frank!

That would be A okay with me. Dude still loves the Niners and keeps a close tab on them. I wonder when he retires if he will have some role with the team? Doesn't necessarily need to be a coach, but they could give him some advisory role or whatever role they come up with.

Tartt being on that list doesn't really surprise me. He's playing well and with a lot of confidence. What I like the most is he never panics in coverage even if the receiver/TE has a step on him. I know after week 1 a lot of people were ready to write him off, but I mentioned how much better he played as the game went on. And he's only gotten better since then. Still misses the occasional tackle in the run game which is frustrating since it all comes down to technique and fundamentals. Tartt loves going for the big hit and doesn't always wrap up. But this is something he could probably improve on with more playing time.

Archived