Week 5 GDT: 49ers vs Colts, aka: our best shot to win a game?

Forge

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Be honest, were you stoked after that week 17 win against the Rams two years ago that F'd up our draft position? :)

I don't know that "stoked" is the right word, but I was very happy both in 2015 and 2016 when we beat the Rams and messed up our draft position. Sure, both years there are players I would rather have chosen (Davante Parker in 2016, Myles Garrett in 2017), and our wins cost us both of those players...but I have doubts Baalke would have taken Parker anyway (we had ammo to trade up and he'd shown he's fine with doing so). Sometimes, players learning how to win is just as important. 

But I am not "stoked" with most regular season wins, and certainly not with a 5th win in a regular season finale. But I was happy to close out on top, and will always be happy with wins. 

The win over the Rams in 2015 actually moved us to #7 and we ended up selecting DeForest Buckner. Honestly, is anyone disappointed we had to "settle" for a guy who looks like a perennial All Pro type of player? The players ahead of him are pretty damn good themselves, but so is he. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The win over the Rams in 2015 actually moved us to #7 and we ended up selecting DeForest Buckner. Honestly, is anyone disappointed we had to "settle" for a guy who looks like a perennial All Pro type of player? The players ahead of him are pretty damn good themselves, but so is he. 

I messed up my line of thinking on that one - I mistook this for the year before, not the year with Davante Parker. That was the Cardinals win in 2014 that got us to.500 that did that one. 

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I mean at this point, he's already a top 5 interior guy, right? I mean, the 4 big ones are Donald (probably number one right now), Suh (kind of forgotten in Miami, not sure how he's playing any more), and McCoy in TB (still a beast, but injuries are rapidly catching up to him). Then you can add Watt in there since they do kick him inside a fair amount (at least they used to), but injuries are already getting to him as well. So given the givens, the only one I'm for sure taking over Buck at this point is Donald. 

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is when you know Buckner is now nearing elite level. He had 5 tackles 3 TFLs .5 sack 2 QB hits and it was a bit of a quiet game from him. 

I believe that it was his lowest rated game of the season by PFF standards. Take that for what it's worth. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I mean at this point, he's already a top 5 interior guy, right? I mean, the 4 big ones are Donald (probably number one right now), Suh (kind of forgotten in Miami, not sure how he's playing any more), and McCoy in TB (still a beast, but injuries are rapidly catching up to him). Then you can add Watt in there since they do kick him inside a fair amount (at least they used to), but injuries are already getting to him as well. So given the givens, the only one I'm for sure taking over Buck at this point is Donald. 

McCoy and Suh are still amazing as well as Atkins. Donald is in a category of his own, but Buckner has a case with pretty much everyone else. You don't have to rank him second due to not having done it as long as the others, but he will get there.

Watt with his second season ending injury takes a step back. At his best, may have been the best defensive player ever. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

McCoy and Suh are still amazing as well as Atkins. Donald is in a category of his own, but Buckner has a case with pretty much everyone else. You don't have to rank him second due to not having done it as long as the others, but he will get there.

Watt with his second season ending injury takes a step back. At his best, may have been the best defensive player ever. 

I forgot about Atkins, admittedly. He's still a beast.

42 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't know that "stoked" is the right word, but I was very happy both in 2015 and 2016 when we beat the Rams and messed up our draft position. Sure, both years there are players I would rather have chosen (Davante Parker in 2016, Myles Garrett in 2017), and our wins cost us both of those players...but I have doubts Baalke would have taken Parker anyway (we had ammo to trade up and he'd shown he's fine with doing so). Sometimes, players learning how to win is just as important. 

But I am not "stoked" with most regular season wins, and certainly not with a 5th win in a regular season finale. But I was happy to close out on top, and will always be happy with wins. 

Last year I was truly pissed, not by winning against the Rams, but by the way we won the game. Going for the two points conversion... come on... did we really have something to prove? Something so important that the game couldn't go to overtime? It felt like Chip and Kap knew what was coming and wanted to say one last F U to the fan base. Had they won by dominating a game, or by being competitive throughout the year, and ultimately winning one, I would have been okay with that. But being inept all year and suddenly having to HAVE to win a game so desperately by going for two. That pissed me off.

But otherwise, I don't get angry at losing draft position in favor of a win. I hope we don't win games we don't deserve, this year. But if the team plays well and we deserve a win, I'll just take it as a glimpse into the future of what this regime is hoping to achieve.

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Last year I was truly pissed, not by winning against the Rams, but by the way we won the game. Going for the two points conversion... come on... did we really have something to prove? Something so important that the game couldn't go to overtime? It felt like Chip and Kap knew what was coming and wanted to say one last F U to the fan base. Had they won by dominating a game, or by being competitive throughout the year, and ultimately winning one, I would have been okay with that. But being inept all year and suddenly having to HAVE to win a game so desperately by going for two. That pissed me off.

But otherwise, I don't get angry at losing draft position in favor of a win. I hope we don't win games we don't deserve, this year. But if the team plays well and we deserve a win, I'll just take it as a glimpse into the future of what this regime is hoping to achieve.

This is an excellent point.

Archived