Broncos WR Courtland Sutton done for season with knee injury

RaidersAreOne

How awful. 

Thinking long term, big picture, the benefit here is more reps for the younger receivers.

Furthermore, with all these injuries - #1 CB, #1 WR, #1 #1 OLB, #1 QB, #1a RB - and the league’s toughest schedule, we should be looking at premium position for the draft. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 4

This is just incredible. It feels like we’re now in Year 3 of “just focus on the development of young players”, and now the young players are drooping like flies! And jeez what awful timing for Sutton. He had improved so much in such a short time and now his trajectory, like Chubb’s, has been altered in a way that could affect his next deal. 

We have had a lot of “sad loser” stuff happen to us in the past 5 years that this franchise has mostly avoided for four decades. Injuries (and one opt-out) killed this team and your best hope at this point is to play great football in December when you’re more than likely already eliminated. We’re still going to have a lot unanswered going into next year. Terrible few weeks to be a fan of this team.

• Like 2

I’m interested in seeing all three rookie WRs on the field. At this point Hamilton and Patrick are just in the way in my opinion. They’ve had plenty of opportunities in these first two games and they look like the same very limited players with specific traits. 

Hamler looked pretty damn good and surprisingly polished as a WR yesterday. A guy with that size who’s also so young it’s hard not to worry about having an Isaiah McKenzie situation but I saw a legit WR who can create separation from DBs yesterday, not just a gadget guy. The amount of cushion teams will have to give him should make everything underneath easy with Hamler and we haven’t seen him really open up in space yet. That was the most exciting thing to come out of yesterday. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’m interested in seeing all three rookie WRs on the field. At this point Hamilton and Patrick are just in the way in my opinion. They’ve had plenty of opportunities in these first two games and they look like the same very limited players with specific traits. 

Hamler looked pretty damn good and surprisingly polished as a WR yesterday. A guy with that size who’s also so young it’s hard not to worry about having an Isaiah McKenzie situation but I saw a legit WR who can create separation from DBs yesterday, not just a gadget guy. The amount of cushion teams will have to give him should make everything underneath easy with Hamler and we haven’t seen him really open up in space yet. That was the most exciting thing to come out of yesterday. 

Good points. I’m also over seeing that free agent mistake Nick Vannett on the field. Scratch him and get Albert O some reps. 

I know Matt Russell loves his Patriot Way guys but enough is enough, get the young guys some work. Vannett contributes nothing meaningful, other than representing wasted money. 

9 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Unbelievable, man. 

How sad to think he's in a contract year next time he suits up for us.

At least KJ Hamler looked good ...

On the flip side, it might offer Elway a chance to land Sutton at WR2 prices, if Jeudy has established himself as the man.   Obviously we would rather have had Sutton ball out and be healthy, but there could be a small silver lining future-wise.

But yeah, for now, it just sucks.

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

How awful. 

Thinking long term, big picture, the benefit here is more reps for the younger receivers.

Furthermore, with all these injuries - #1 CB, #1 WR, #1 #1 OLB, #1 QB, #1a RB - and the league’s toughest schedule, we should be looking at premium position for the draft. 

The Broncos are going to be staring down the possibility of deciding between Lock or Fields/Lance. I, for one, would pick Justin Fields in a heartbeat and never look back in sort of a Josh Rosen/Kyle Murray situation

Lock was still more of a project coming into the NFL, has injury history and the Broncos didnt spend a premium pick on him. That might make it much easier to go a different direction if the opportunity presents itself.

However, Fields doesnt strike me as a guy Elway would love.....and I cant quite put my finger on why......hmmmm

51 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The Broncos are going to be staring down the possibility of deciding between Lock or Fields/Lance. I, for one, would pick Justin Fields in a heartbeat and never look back in sort of a Josh Rosen/Kyle Murray situation

Lock was still more of a project coming into the NFL, has injury history and the Broncos didnt spend a premium pick on him. That might make it much easier to go a different direction if the opportunity presents itself.

However, Fields doesnt strike me as a guy Elway would love.....and I cant quite put my finger on why......hmmmm

Don’t know much about either. 

But I do know that entering the last 2 years of his reign as GM, Elway is very, very unlikely to go another direction at QB unless Lock, upon return, looks totally horrendous. 

Buoye - Shoulder

Miller - Ankle

Bolles - Sprained elbow (somehow playing through it)

Lindsay - (toe)

Sutton - Knee

Lock - Shoulder

With the exception of Miller, all 6 of these (significant) injuries took place within the first 7 quarters of the NFL season. I do my best to avoid knee-jerk reactions, so I'm saying this through a calm lens. I don't believe this is simply bad luck. 1 or 2? Sure. Six in 7 quarters? I just don't think so. To me this is a pretty loud indication that this team wasn't properly conditioned during the offseason. No pre-season combined with lighter practices in recent years has clearly left our guys physically unprepared for the demands of playing at full speed. Scoff if you wish, but there is definitely a hardening process that takes place in your body during high impact training. Without it, you're much more injury prone. There's no way our training staff aren't familiar with this concept and at some point, this kinda needs to be somebody's fault. 

4 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Buoye - Shoulder

Miller - Ankle

Lindsay - (toe)

Sutton - Knee

Lock - Shoulder

With the exception of Miller, all 6 of these (significant) injuries took place within the first 7 quarters of the NFL season. I do my best to avoid knee-jerk reactions, so I'm saying this through a calm lens. I don't believe this is simply bad luck. 1 or 2? Sure. Six in 7 quarters? I just don't think so. To me this is a pretty loud indication that this team wasn't properly conditioned during the offseason. No pre-season combined with lighter practices in recent years has clearly left our guys physically unprepared for the demands of playing at full speed. Scoff if you wish, but there is definitely a hardening process that takes place in your body during high impact training. Without it, you're much more injury prone. There's no way our training staff aren't familiar with this concept and at some point, this kinda needs to be somebody's fault. 

It’s happening all around the league.  I think you’re right, but I’m not sure it’s really anybody’s fault.  NFLPA Contract, COVID, no preseason. It’s like me going out there to get hit.  Lol 

2 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Buoye - Shoulder

Miller - Ankle

Lindsay - (toe)

Sutton - Knee

Lock - Shoulder

I agree to an extent.  Look at the rest of the league.  Denver’s been hit hard with the injury bug in terms of long term severity.  Their best defensive player and best offensive player are out for the year and the starting QB potentially missing 6-8 weeks. However, the NFL as a whole is getting shredded with injuries.  It definitely raises questions about getting completely rid of the preseason, IMO.  The list of players getting ready to miss significant time across the entire league is staggering.  

2 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

It’s happening all around the league.  I think you’re right, but I’m not sure it’s really anybody’s fault.  NFLPA Contract, COVID, no preseason. It’s like me going out there to get hit.  Lol 

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I agree to an extent.  Look at the rest of the league.  Denver’s been hit hard with the injury bug in terms of long term severity.  Their best defensive player and best offensive player are out for the year and the starting QB potentially missing 6-8 weeks. However, the NFL as a whole is getting shredded with injuries.  It definitely raises questions about getting completely rid of the preseason, IMO.  The list of players getting ready to miss significant time across the entire league is staggering.  

You guys may be correct; there might not be anything our staff could have done about it due to the NFLPA agreement. If so, they're really going to need to reexamine that part of it this offseason, or there aren't going to be any players left to suit up next year lol.