2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I worry about Jones as a fit in our Defense. I think his best chance in the NFL is as a 4-3 DE that can come inside on 3rd and long, similar to Everson Griffen who has a very similar build.

He definitely isn't a 3 down player in a 3-4 Defense. He lacks girth and just can't handle those big double teams inside, and you have left space inside to maneuver so you have to have a base level strength that I just don't know if he has. 

By the time he gets to 3rd down after playing the first 2 downs, he's nowhere near as effective. Playing against Tackles on 1st and 2nd down isn't as punishing as what he's doing right now against those double teams.

We 100% need a dominating 3 down interior Defensive Lineman. Outside of QB, it's our biggest need in my opinion. 

Barmore plays a lot like Dre’Mont, much more of a pass rusher than a run stopper at this point. The difference is that Barmore plays 30 lbs bigger than Jones, so as he gets stronger, he should be able to anchor against double teams.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 6:12 PM, AKRNA said:

Are there any real monster DT's in this draft? I keep watching the great ones destroying IOL's and really want of those.

On 11/17/2020 at 8:40 PM, broncosfan_101 said:

Christian Barmore out of Alabama is very very good. Maybe not a top 10 guy, but real close to it. 

Jordan Davis is an immovable force for Georgia a big part of why they didn’t allow any rushing TDs in 18 straight games (they have since surrender some) He won’t give you a whole lot as a pass rusher though. 

43 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Jordan Davis is an immovable force for Georgia a big part of why they didn’t allow any rushing TDs in 18 straight games (they have since surrender some) He won’t give you a whole lot as a pass rusher though. 

I'm thinking more of the Trevor Pryce/Aaron Donald type. 6' 2"+, 300-320 with ridiculous athleticism and agility for a man his size. Highly competitive and likes it in the trenches.Basically, the same qualities I look for on the OL. The good ones are rarely above 320, but there are exceptions like Quenton Nelson. Mostly, once you're past that your lateral agility is shot.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm thinking more of the Trevor Pryce/Aaron Donald type. 6' 2"+, 300-320 with ridiculous athleticism and agility for a man his size. Highly competitive and likes it in the trenches.Basically, the same qualities I look for on the OL. The good ones are rarely above 320, but there are exceptions like Quenton Nelson. Mostly, once you're past that your lateral agility is shot.

Barmore as he mentioned might be a guy who can be that. Check out Jay Tufele USC but opt out so 2019 film and Marlon Tuipulotu his USC teammate who has looked phenomenal this season. Marlon is listed at 6’3 305 he has 16 tackles (11 solo) and 2.5 TFL with 1 sack in two games. He has been a menace up front.

58 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I am all in on buying low on Darnold. He has been stuck in one of the worst positions possible. If we dont get 1, and we wont, there isnt another team in the league I want to get 1 more than NYJ so we can buy low on Sam. I like him more than Fields even. 

Darnold is under control for very little (relatively speaking) for 2 years when including a 5th year option and he's only 23. You could make an argument for all of these teams being interested (excluding teams at the very top of draft):

Broncos
Steelers
Patriots
Saints
Bears
Colts
49ers
Vikings

Then you have teams at the top of the draft that may miss out on someone in the draft (Washington, Giants).

There will be no buying low for Darnold. Too many good teams needing a QB, that won't be able to get one in the draft, will be in on him.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Darnold is under control for very little (relatively speaking) for 2 years when including a 5th year option and he's only 23. You could make an argument for all of these teams being interested (excluding teams at the very top of draft):

Broncos
Steelers
Patriots
Saints
Bears
Colts
49ers
Vikings

Then you have teams at the top of the draft that may miss out on someone in the draft (Washington, Giants).

There will be no buying low for Darnold. Too many good teams needing a QB, that won't be able to get one in the draft, will be in on him.

The key IMO is to finish below NE & SF in the draft standings - then our 2nd round pick will have more value than anyone else.   I'm going to say NO is automatically out of the running, barring a complete meltdown or injury to Taysom Hill, they're going to go that route next year.  Payton has an unhealthy-level bromance going on there with Taysom.

I'd put good $ that Darnold isn't traded until Day 2 of the NFL draft - because teams looking for a QBOTF (except PIT) will be looking at Rd1 for "their guy".   Some of them will get them, some of them won't.    Darnold, Winston & Fitzmagic then go to the teams that aren't going draft for QB.    Darnold could obviously go to someone who's willing to give up a 1st - but for a guy with only 1 cheap year left, that's a pretty tall order.   But it only takes 1, I guess.

The dream scenario was where Darnold's stock fell so hard a 3rd could do it - but the landscape with QB next offseason remains as ugly as ever, that's a pipe dream now - a Rd2 pick that is valued higher than any other bidder seems the likely winner.   Winston, Fitzmagic, Darnold and I'd guess Cam Newton will all likely find work to compete with, or get the starter job outright next year - even if 5 teams go QB Rd 1 (let's say for argument's sake NYJ, JAX, WAS, SF & CHI go QB) - only PIT & MIN have obvious guys they're locked into next year (MIN thinking 2022 for Cousins' departure).  3 teams left from those 8, and we should likely add CIN (who won't go for a guy like Darnold, but might go the Cam/Fitzmagic/Winston route for a 1-year stopgap until Burrow returns, that's an ugly ACL+ injury, not the usual).   Point being, there'll be interest for that tier of vet QB, so it's not like there won't be interest in Darnold.   

Edited by Broncofan

54 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'd put good $ that Darnold isn't traded until Day 2 of the NFL draft - because teams looking for a QBOTF (except PIT) will be looking at Rd1 for "their guy".

I would be STUNNED if that is the case. There are too many teams that will have an interest.

There is no way that (at least) 5 teams are going to gamble on a QB falling to the 20's. Someone is going to go get Darnold before day 1 of the draft. As long as whoever the Jets want doesn't get hurt pre-draft, they will do the deal to the highest bidder, of which there will be many.

5 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I would be STUNNED if that is the case. There are too many teams that will have an interest.

There is no way that (at least) 5 teams are going to gamble on a QB falling to the 20's. Someone is going to go get Darnold before day 1 of the draft. As long as whoever the Jets want doesn't get hurt pre-draft, they will do the deal to the highest bidder, of which there will be many.

I’m with @Broncofan. There are 5 legit first round QB’s in this draft, and even the next tier has some guys with starting potential. I think teams will wait to see if one of those guys falls into their range first, at least in the first round, before shifting their sights to Darnold. 

Actually, if I can hedge, I think Darnold gets traded while the first round is coming to an end. 

12 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

He'd be a great fit in Pitt. Watch Big Ben , learn the game a bit without getting killed every Sunday. Good team, well coached. 

16 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I’m with @Broncofan. There are 5 legit first round QB’s in this draft, and even the next tier has some guys with starting potential. I think teams will wait to see if one of those guys falls into their range first, at least in the first round, before shifting their sights to Darnold. 

Actually, if I can hedge, I think Darnold gets traded while the first round is coming to an end. 

Ok, we have a bet.

I say before, you say during 1st, Broncofan says during the 2nd.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

But that's also why the trade likely doesn't happen until the draft - because NYJ wants to sell to the highest bidder.   You don't know who the highest bidder is until you know how Rd1 of the draft shakes out.    If a team is already willing to spend a 1st rounder, then sure - but that's not likely in the teen's range.   The scenario where it could happen is if PIT is just willing to say, screw it, let's do it - but even then, does NYJ feel that's the highest bidder out there?    It appears that there are 5 QB's going with Rd1 grades at this stage, FWIW.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Ok, we have a bet.

I say before, you say during 1st, Broncofan says during the 2nd.

I'd concede the 1st is very possible if a playoff team like PIT wants him (why I mentioned it in my OP), they know they aren't getting one of those 5 guys.     But my lean is no, simply because of how PIT caters to Big Ben (they only drafted Rudolph when he hinted at retirement - and then once he reversed course <his MO, total prima donna>, it's been more about future planning).    Unlike GB & A-Rod, the FO actually bends to Ben's wishes more than operates independently.   

The team that could decide pre-draft that they want Darnold - CHI.   But would they trade their 1st right away?  That's where not knowing who is available comes in.    NYJ will want the highest bidder - but it's impossible to know who that is until you're in the draft (even let's say PIT says "we're willing to trade our 1st" - it's going to be a late 1st, so how does NYJ know another team won't offer an earlier 1st)?     That's the main reason why I'd take the Rd2 bet - the odds should be worth the risk IMO (I'm guessing the books would give + money there, and yes, you can bet on that kind of thing as the draft nears lol).  If NYJ is interested in leveraging the highest price, you have to see Rd1 go down (or at least the first 5 QB's go off the board) before you know the buyer market.

Edited by Broncofan

What is everyone's thoughts on Matt Stafford? Considering where his team is now, I wonder if he might be a possibility too. Has a higher salary but might be cheaper than Darnold, and more available that Matt Ryan that has been brought up occasionally. Not sure if the Lions would be open to moving on from him or not, but might be worthwhile if we are looking for a vet to come in.