2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

I have this sinking felling that Denver will be faced with a dilemma come draft day.  Let’s say they lose to the Raiders and end up with the 8th pick.  I could easily see the following (in no specific order) ahead of us:  Lawrence, Fields, Sewell, Wilson, Parsons, Surtain.  So who the heck do you take at 8?  
Assuming you can’t trade down...

BPA is almost certainly Lance or one of the top WR’s, or even Pitts.  Seems too high for Farley;  Paye and Rousseau don’t feel like top 10 edges.  Where do you go?  Feels like no mans land for us.  

5 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

Oh I never doubted it, but there was a lot of chatter about either Fields/Lance dropping a bit of late and that's out the window after this OSU/Clemson game.

Lance IMO is the guy who could drop, because he's only had 1 year of college starts, and FCS level.    But Fields & Wilson have seen their stock skyrocket (Wilson consistently, and with this game, Fields has had that college defining game that shows his ceiling - like Burrow vs. 'Bama <then Clemson>).

26 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I would be floored if the top 3 went in any other order than Lawrence / QB / Sewell now.   MIA FO must be doing a jig.  

Austin Jackson to RT, Robert Hunt to guard, and that’s a really good young o-line. 

25 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

I never understood why people soured on him after all he showed last year. He made some bad decisions (something he rarely did in 2019) against an indiana defense full of NFL prospects but that wasn't really a bad game imo. He played outright bad against northwestern, but that's a really good defense. He's steamrolled everyone else and making a solid Clemson defense look awful.

I don't knock anyone for having Zack Wilson ascending to or above his level but Fields is too talented to pass up is he somehow falls to our pick

It’s not so much knocks on Fields, it’s just the offence he’s in, we don’t get a lot of chances to see him go through progressions. And when he’s had to, it’s been a mixed bag. 

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I don’t think either guy falls out of the top 5.   

A thing I’ve been thinking lately: what if ATL falls in love with Trey Lance? They’re tied to Matt Ryan for at least another year, so if you’re giving a rookie QB a redshirt season no matter what, do you shoot for ultimate upside even though he’s the most raw? (Not to mention, the people of Atlanta look like, and would probably relate more with a star QB that looks like either Fields or Lance instead of Wilson.)

21 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

I have this sinking felling that Denver will be faced with a dilemma come draft day.  Let’s say they lose to the Raiders and end up with the 8th pick.  I could easily see the following (in no specific order) ahead of us:  Lawrence, Fields, Sewell, Wilson, Parsons, Surtain.  So who the heck do you take at 8?  
Assuming you can’t trade down...

BPA is almost certainly Lance or one of the top WR’s, or even Pitts.  Seems too high for Farley;  Paye and Rousseau don’t feel like top 10 edges.  Where do you go?  Feels like no mans land for us.  

It’s not too high for Farley, but if Lance is on the board and you don’t want him yourselves, you’ll get some great offers to move down. In your scenario, JaMarr Chase is still on the board as well, so there would be no shortage of suitors for that pick.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

It’s not too high for Farley, but if Lance is on the board and you don’t want him yourselves, you’ll get some great offers to move down. In your scenario, JaMarr Chase is still on the board as well, so there would be no shortage of suitors for that pick.

Agreed that’s the best hope. But it’s always a crap-shoot to find a decent trade partner offer.  But assuming Lance/Chase/Smith are on the board, I do expect to have some serious interest from other teams looking to move up.

28 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Agreed that’s the best hope. But it’s always a crap-shoot to find a decent trade partner offer.  But assuming Lance/Chase/Smith are on the board, I do expect to have some serious interest from other teams looking to move up.

I’ve read some buzz about Azeez Ojulari breaking into the top 15-20, and while I haven’t watched any tape yet, I kept a close eye on him today. And wowzers. There’s a lot of burst there, and some seriously heavy hands. I can see why some have him in the Rousseau/Paye tier of edge rushers. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I’ve read some buzz about Azeez Ojulari breaking into the top 15-20, and while I haven’t watched any tape yet, I kept a close eye on him today. And wowzers. There’s a lot of burst there, and some seriously heavy hands. I can see why some have him in the Rousseau/Paye tier of edge rushers. 

Potential Von replacement 

• Like 1

Gotta go back to the 2006 draft to find a 5-11 team picking as low as we are this spring (9th overall). Usually the lowest picking 5-11 team is ~7th overall. 🙄 

The silver lining to tonight’s result is that PHI’s an extreme WR-needy team in a WR top heavy draft, so right now the odds of them taking someone who we wouldn’t really consider is pretty high. Ja’Marr Chase, Kyle Pitts, and probably Devonta Smith will be real high on their board. That’s maybe even a great spot to target a trade up on our part. The Eagles could certainly get one of them at 1.9, and there’s a reasonable chance Micah Parsons will be available at 1.6. 

2 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Gotta go back to the 2006 draft to find a 5-11 team picking as low as we are this spring (9th overall). Usually the lowest picking 5-11 team is ~7th overall. 🙄 

The silver lining to tonight’s result is that PHI’s an extreme WR-needy team in a WR top heavy draft, so right now the odds of them taking someone who we wouldn’t really consider is pretty high. Ja’Marr Chase, Kyle Pitts, and probably Devonta Smith will be real high on their board. That’s maybe even a great spot to target a trade up on our part. The Eagles could certainly get one of them at 1.9, and there’s a reasonable chance Micah Parsons will be available at 1.6. 

They need so much.   They are a fit to take Surtain or Parsons, too.    Their pick is going to be heavily scrutinized after tonight lol.  

I do think PHI will be open to trade back given CAR seems on board to replace Teddy B.    Unclear what DET will do, but if you want the 3rd QB on this board, gotta believe teams have to go at least to 1.6.   

Edited by Broncofan

10 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I would really love to see Fangios D with Parsons in the middle.

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

They need so much.   They are a fit to take Surtain or Parsons, too.    Their pick is going to be heavily scrutinized after tonight lol.  

I do think PHI will be open to trade back given CAR seems on board to replace Teddy B.    Unclear what DET will do, but if you want the 3rd QB on this board, gotta believe teams have to go at least to 1.6.   

Absolutely spitballing here, but as I said a few days ago, I could see a scenario where ATL takes Trey Lance at 1.4. It’s 100% a redshirt season since Matt Ryan’s not going anywhere yet. He’s got the most upside of any non-Lawrence player in the draft. And honestly, he’d sell more jerseys in Atlanta than Zach Wilson would. In that situation, CIN probably auctions the 5th pick for Wilson, unless they try to put a smile on Burrow’s face by reuniting him with Ja’Marr Chase? 

6 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Absolutely spitballing here, but as I said a few days ago, I could see a scenario where ATL takes Trey Lance at 1.4. It’s 100% a redshirt season since Matt Ryan’s not going anywhere yet. He’s got the most upside of any non-Lawrence player in the draft. And honestly, he’d sell more jerseys in Atlanta than Zach Wilson would. In that situation, CIN probably auctions the 5th pick for Wilson, unless they try to put a smile on Burrow’s face by reuniting him with Ja’Marr Chase? 

ATL IMO is easy to read by who they hire as their HC.   If they retain interim coach Raheem Morris they aren’t going QB but will go defense.   On the other hand they go for a young O mind then yes QB makes more sense.   

Keep in mind owner Arthur Blank isn’t getting any younger.    It’s also complicated by the fact ATL is a pretty old team.   So a rebuild is a complete long term gig - and that’s where Blank’s mindset matters so much.   Morris re-hired says they think they can turn it around with Ryan and fix the D / running game (Gurley is toast).   That’s a telling situation by the HC hire.   If it’s Morris I’d take the bet on non-QB.   

Edited by Broncofan

6 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Well...Justin Fields is from the Atlanta area, and he did start his college career at UGA.  I'd think if the Jets pass on him, and the Falcons have a chance to land him, I would think they would select him and either sit him behind Ryan, or move Ryan.  And, he's sell way more jerseys than just about anyone here, especially after his Bowl game appearance.  

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

ATL IMO is easy to read by who they hire as their HC.   If they retain interim coach Raheem Morris they aren’t going QB but will go defense.   On the other hand they go for a young O mind then yes QB makes more sense.   

Keep in mind owner Arthur Blank isn’t getting any younger.    It’s also complicated by the fact ATL is a pretty old team.   So a rebuild is a complete long term gig - and that’s where Blank’s mindset matters so much.   Morris re-hired says they think they can turn it around with Ryan and fix the D / running game (Gurley is toast).   That’s a telling situation by the HC hire.   If it’s Morris I’d take the bet on non-QB.   

I think Atlanta retains Morris because they like him here.  They also like Ryan, but the talk is getting a new QB, which I think is a mistake because I think the Falcons are a good running game away from competing to with the NFC South, because Ryan absolutely needs a stellar running game to support him.  Alas, they are the Falcons and they probably keep Morris and draft Fields if he is there.  I could even see them moving up to get him.