2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

44 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Don’t disagree.  But Denver’s invested far too much financially to select Sewell after I’ve looked at the numbers.  No way he can be the selection. 

I disagree. Yes, we have a lot invested into the O-line but it's still average. By shifting Glasglow to Center, that position can at least be serviceable next year. Have Sewell at RG, then move on from James after next year if he continues to miss time and not be worth it. It is a lot financially, but would be just for the year. Gotta be thinking long term and Sewell for 10+ years is worth it, especially given how flexible we can be with the cap. 

7 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I disagree. Yes, we have a lot invested into the O-line but it's still average. By shifting Glasglow to Center, that position can at least be serviceable next year. Have Sewell at RG, then move on from James after next year if he continues to miss time and not be worth it. It is a lot financially, but would be just for the year. Gotta be thinking long term and Sewell for 10+ years is worth it, especially given how flexible we can be with the cap. 

I don’t know.  $17M for Bolles, $13M for James, $9M for Glasgow and 2 top 100 draft picks are substantial investments along the OL.

Honestly, aside from QB, Denver probably shouldn’t be selecting an offensive player in the draft in the top 3 rounds.  

The defense has been neglected for years now and IMO wouldn’t be performing at the level they are now if Fangio wasn’t around.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I know you said "hypothetical" but Sewell to the Bengals is about as locked in as a pick can be in December. They're finishing the season with Brandon Allen/Ryan Finley at QB so unless someone trades up for a quarterback, it's pretty much a pipe dream.

Sewell is so good and it's nice to think about, but I can't see many realistic scenarios for Denver calling his name in April

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

I don’t know.  $17M for Bolles, $13M for James, $9M for Glasgow and 2 top 100 draft picks are substantial investments along the OL.

Honestly, aside from QB, Denver probably shouldn’t be selecting an offensive player in the draft in the top 3 rounds.  

The defense has been neglected for years now and IMO wouldn’t be performing at the level they are now if Fangio wasn’t around.

Here's the thing - you invest in Sewell, you can walk away from James with a trade (a cut is too much dead money to do this year).  Given how scarce T's are, this is likely do-able, albeit for little compensation pick-wise (I'd guess Rd4-5, but that's pure conjecture).   And long-term, you exchange a guy who's got a 43M/3 in salary in James for a generational talent at 32M/4 years, and a 5th-year option.

If Sewell is a generational talent you don't worry about the $, given that James is very likely a guy that can be traded.   It doesn't make sense if you aren't getting an elite player, but if you are getting the next Lane Johnson / RT version of Quentin Nelson, then it's more than justifiable, it's the A+ move.   As for RT/LT, I don't really worry about that either - as we've seen with Lane Johnson & Ryan Ramczyk, moving over to LT when needed is a positional bonus, and being all-world at RT is just as impactful as LT.

I get the concern if you keep all  3, totally fair - but in an era where teams are dying to field decent OL's, Juwan James is a tradeable commodity, much like how Darnold is a tradeable QB commodity.   Now, James' position isn't nearly as valuable as QB, and his contract is an albatross to get premium pick value back in a trade, but it's not an obstacle to get him off the books to a team that would be looking at much worse RT options in the FA market.  

I think it's moot anyways, as I don't see us dropping down to 4, even if we lose out (which is certainly no given), our strength of schedule would put us picking later than any other 4W team, and I'd be surprised if Sewell wasn't the first non-QB taken.   If we win even 1 more game, it's pretty much putting us at the 8+ pick range, best-case.   But it's a fun discussion to have...

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

A lot of people here are counting on Ja’Wuan James *a lot* more than I am next season. The guy was somewhere between above average and good with the Dolphins, but now it’ll be two full years between real NFL snaps when he next takes the field. 

And like @Broncofan said, it shouldn’t be too hard to take the $9M dead cap hit to find a trade partner. I think a lot of teams would line up for an average RT with only $10M guaranteed to him. 

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

A lot of people here are counting on Ja’Wuan James *a lot* more than I am next season. The guy was somewhere between above average and good with the Dolphins, but now it’ll be two full years between real NFL snaps when he next takes the field. 

And like @Broncofan said, it shouldn’t be too hard to take the $9M dead cap hit to find a trade partner. I think a lot of teams would line up for an average RT with only $10M guaranteed to him. 

Personally I hope they get rid of James before camp. He has no desire to play, and only appeared in three games last year before taking this one off.

Oh yeah, it's also an odd numbered year. He never plays more than 8 games in odd numbered years.

Get Anderson some meaningful reps as the season wears down and give Dotson a breather. Lets see what we've got there.

52 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

For those interested, Zach Wilson gets to face a real quality defence in Coastal Carolina this weekend. A great performance might move him into the top 5. 

He really needs this game, the competition they've faced has been incredibly outmanned talent-wise, other than HOU, and he showed a lot of warts that game.    On the plus side, you'll have about 15 games of 2020 tape for Wilson at the pace BYU is at - they're trying to one-up PIT as a potential 16-0 team lol.

Edited by Broncofan

56 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

For those interested, Zach Wilson gets to face a real quality defence in Coastal Carolina this weekend. A great performance might move him into the top 5. 

Him playing Washington would’ve been a good tape to watch. SDSU at least has a good defense should they play next week.

34 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Personally I hope they get rid of James before camp. He has no desire to play, and only appeared in three games last year before taking this one off.

Oh yeah, it's also an odd numbered year. He never plays more than 8 games in odd numbered years.

Get Anderson some meaningful reps as the season wears down and give Dotson a breather. Lets see what we've got there.

Do yourself a favour and read the ‘Personal Life’ section of Anderson’s wiki page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Anderson_(American_football)

• Like 3

Moot or not, I still don’t think you take Sewell if he’s available.  This offense is/should be set for the near future outside of QB.  That’s part of running a team.  Money can be saved keeping James and drafting an upside OT in the middle rounds.

Denver’s defense has slowly deteriorated since 2015.  As much as Fangio may not be an HC, he’s one of less than a handful of coaches that could keep this defense top 10.  

Though, I’ve stayed away from prospects as much as possible.  Maybe there isn’t a defensive player even being worth drafting or trading back a few spots to take.  I am a Penn State fan and Parson’s is a terrific player.  Even then don’t know if I’d take him top 5-8 based on other drafts.

Edited by germ-x

26 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Moot or not, I still don’t think you take Sewell if he’s available.  This offense is/should be set for the near future outside of QB.  That’s part of running a team.  Money can be saved keeping James and drafting an upside OT in the middle rounds.

Denver’s defense has slowly deteriorated since 2015.  As much as Fangio may not be an HC, he’s one of less than a handful of coaches that could keep this defense top 10.  

Though, I’ve stayed away from prospects as much as possible.  Maybe there isn’t a defensive player even being worth drafting or trading back a few spots to take.  I am a Penn State fan and Parson’s is a terrific player.  Even then don’t know if I’d take him top 5-8 based on other drafts.

The top end of the draft is quite weak on the defensive side. The over/under on defenders going in the top half of the draft is probably 5.5 right now. For a team without many needs on offence, it’s not an ideal draft if you can’t get one of the top 3 QB’s. 

That’s awesome! Didn’t realize it until I read that but his father was one of my professors in med school!

•  

Talk about an impressive young man. This is one of the few kids who you dont need to worry about post career. 

As for the talk of passing on Sewell, in the words of Anthony McAuliffe, 'nuts'. He is a generational prospect who would go #1 in most drafts. Unless there is a QB there, you take BPA at position of need. We may have money locked up in the OL, but its not necessarily locked up in a good way (James is a ghost, Glasgow has not played up to his contract). It would be like the Detroit Pistions passing on Zion Williamson because they can cart out the corpse of Blake Griffin. 

You take Peni and figure it out later. The only other option would be a trade down if a team gives a ransom. 

• Like 2