2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Talk about an impressive young man. This is one of the few kids who you dont need to worry about post career. 

As for the talk of passing on Sewell, in the words of Anthony McAuliffe, 'nuts'. He is a generational prospect who would go #1 in most drafts. Unless there is a QB there, you take BPA at position of need. We may have money locked up in the OL, but its not necessarily locked up in a good way (James is a ghost, Glasgow has not played up to his contract). It would be like the Detroit Pistions passing on Zion Williamson because they can cart out the corpse of Blake Griffin. 

You take Peni and figure it out later. The only other option would be a trade down if a team gives a ransom. 

As I said.  You trade down and it doesn’t have to be a ransom.

Edited by germ-x

As I said.  You trade down and it doesn’t have to be a ransom.

If I was the GM, it certainly would have to be a ransom. 

Lawrence and Peni are the top prospects in this draft by a good margin. Fields and Zach get elevated above Peni due to scarcity but in terms of 5 star prospects, from what I have watched its pretty clear there are only 2 in this draft and thats Lawrence and Peni. The next tier IMO is Parsons, Surtain, Chase and Rousseau (Albeit his height to weigh ratio scares me, not many EDGE guys with his current build have made it)

Passing on Peni because we have an overpaid RT who has played 3 games in 2 years is just unfathomable IMO. 

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Lawrence and Peni are the top prospects in this draft by a good margin. Fields and Zach get elevated above Peni due to scarcity but in terms of 5 star prospects, from what I have watched its pretty clear there are only 2 in this draft and thats Lawrence and Peni. The next tier IMO is Parsons, Surtain, Chase and Rousseau (Albeit his height to weigh ratio scares me, not many EDGE guys with his current build have made it)

Passing on Peni because we have an overpaid RT who has played 3 games in 2 years is just unfathomable IMO. 

If you’re looking at measurables, how many QB’s are 6’6” like Lawrence and any good? 👀

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Just don’t see the upgrade over James + the financial cost of not only the draft pick, but the dead money that would come in trading or cutting James as worth it in terms of creating wins for the Denver Broncos.

Sewell’s a hell of a player.  Don’t know that his position relative to what’s already on the team would lead to more W’s a season.  Not in the same way adding an impact pass rusher or CB would especially if it came with another top 50 pick or more.  

And if we’re being realistic.  The problem in Denver isn’t the OL or the weapons, or even the defense (which is being held together because of Fangio), it’s the QB.  Until that’s figured out we’re just going in circles.

IMO, it’s Sam Darnold or taking a QB in the top 10 and if you get Darnold use the draft to revamp the defense.  

The offense is ready, young, and locked up long term.  A competent QB and this offense will take off.

On 12/3/2020 at 12:11 PM, broncosfan_101 said:

For those interested, Zach Wilson gets to face a real quality defence in Coastal Carolina this weekend. A great performance might move him into the top 5. 

I only got to watch parts of this. Wilson’s arm when on the move is remarkable. Throws a beautiful deep ball. Loved the competitiveness. Honestly, there’s so much here that reminds me of Russell Wilson. I love this kid, sign me up.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I only got to watch parts of this. Wilson’s arm when on the move is remarkable. Throws a beautiful deep ball. Loved the competitiveness. Honestly, there’s so much here that reminds me of Russell Wilson. I love this kid, sign me up.

Wasn’t able to watch any of it, but did see the highlight where they roughed him up before half.  Bush league move by Coastal Carolina.  

14 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The improvement in arm strength from last year is remarkable. That hail Mary at the end of the half went about 70 yards and looked effortless. I like the Russell comp, clearly not as athletic but a good one nonetheless. 

It wasn't his best game and byu didn't get the win but he still showed a his talent in this one.

On 12/5/2020 at 12:14 PM, germ-x said:

And if we’re being realistic.  The problem in Denver isn’t the OL or the weapons, or even the defense (which is being held together because of Fangio), it’s the QB.  Until that’s figured out we’re just going in circles.

IMO, it’s Sam Darnold or taking a QB in the top 10 and if you get Darnold use the draft to revamp the defense.  

The offense is ready, young, and locked up long term.  A competent QB and this offense will take off.

The amount of people here thinking Sam Darnold is the answer for a team hoping to contend in the next year or two...sheesh. Sam Darnold sucks right now. He’s very bad. There’s obvious talent there, so I wouldn’t be against acquiring him, but anyone trying to win a football game or two next season absolutely needs to aim higher. He needs to be in one of three situations next season:

1. Paired with Fitzpatrick/Garoppolo/Trubisky, open competition. 
2. On a terrible team with no intentions of making the playoffs. 

3. Redshirting behind a guy like Big Ben or Matt Ryan. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The amount of people here thinking Sam Darnold is the answer for a team hoping to contend in the next year or two...sheesh. Sam Darnold sucks right now. He’s very bad. There’s obvious talent there, so I wouldn’t be against acquiring him, but anyone trying to win a football game or two next season absolutely needs to aim higher. He needs to be in one of three situations next season:

Personally I think Option 3 is his best chance of success. Adding him to our roster wouldn't improve anything. It sure would make it more chaotic though.

33 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Ah.  I see so many flashes from Darnold.  The Jets are the worst run franchise in the league and Gase ruins QBs (see Ryan Tannehill).  Darnold progresses through plays, has excellent touch, throws players open and with anticipation, and has made some “wow” throws this season.

I think he’s a definite upgrade to Lock and it wouldn’t even be a competition.  I would still rather have Lawrence or Fields and haven’t watched enough of Wilson/Lance/Trask to have an opinion there.

Big week for teams vying for top ten picks.

Texans play in Chicago which is a very winnable game. They also play Cincy in a couple of weeks so we have a good chance to move ahead of them anyway.

Atlanta goes to la to play the chargers in what is probably their last winnable game (who knows though, they've been playing a lot better since firing Dan Quinn) with 2 against TB and one against KC remaining.

Carolina has us this weekend obviously and it'll be difficult seeing them win any of their remaining games with @gb @was (playing fiesty) but a week 17 win against New Orleans potentially resting players after wrapping up the number one seed?

As for the eagles and cowboys... Dallas has Cincy and SF on the docket and these two teams okay each other in week 16, but it hurts my brain even trying to think about the best possible outcome with these awful NFC east teams.

• Like 1

None of this means much though if we somehow squeek out wins against Carolina and LAC which I feel like if actually quite possible, finishing around fifteenth. Carolina isn't very good but I love Joe Brady, and they are coming off a bye so who knows.

3 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

None of this means much though if we somehow squeek out wins against Carolina and LAC which I feel like if actually quite possible, finishing around fifteenth. Carolina isn't very good but I love Joe Brady, and they are coming off a bye so who knows.

Well, Vic always has this team ready to play so I don't think we'll see a late season letdown from them.