2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

I don’t think the tankers are going to like where this ends up. The last two games with an actual QB, this team has played quality football and found a winning formula that can work against a lot of teams. 

I think 6-10 is the most likely finish and even 7-9 wouldn’t surprise me. Granted, it’s possible the injuries at corner + Bouye suspension are what finally break this defense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don’t think the tankers are going to like where this ends up. The last two games with an actual QB, this team has played quality football and found a winning formula that can work against a lot of teams. 

I think 6-10 is the most likely finish and even 7-9 wouldn’t surprise me. Granted, it’s possible the injuries at corner + Bouye suspension are what finally break this defense.

Never underestimate guys like Ojemudia and (especially) Bausby playing their ***** off for jobs next year. With the Raiders looking like diarrhea since beating us down, that makes 3 of our last 4 very winnable. 

Reminder, even as this forum’s commander of the tank platoon, winning out would be super cool if it meant Drew Lock really turning a corner and progressing his game. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Never underestimate guys like Ojemudia and (especially) Bausby playing their ***** off for jobs next year. With the Raiders looking like diarrhea since beating us down, that makes 3 of our last 4 very winnable. 

Reminder, even as this forum’s commander of the tank platoon, winning out would be super cool if it meant Drew Lock really turning a corner and progressing his game. 

I'm with you in wishing Drew would turn the corner but wouldn't any progress at this point make lock fools gold? Especially when you take into account that the best team we face defensively (in terms of points allowed) is Carolina at 25ppg. 

22 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

I'm with you in wishing Drew would turn the corner but wouldn't any progress at this point make lock fools gold? Especially when you take into account that the best team we face defensively (in terms of points allowed) is Carolina at 25ppg. 

Quality of competition would be taken into account. I mean, I think we’re still justified in looking for gains in process, even if the results don’t show themselves immediately. If he stays more settled in the pocket, if he goes through some read progressions, that’s a start, even if he’s not zipping it for 350 yards and 4 TD’s. 

On 12/9/2020 at 10:03 AM, broncosfan_101 said:

Quality of competition would be taken into account. I mean, I think we’re still justified in looking for gains in process, even if the results don’t show themselves immediately. If he stays more settled in the pocket, if he goes through some read progressions, that’s a start, even if he’s not zipping it for 350 yards and 4 TD’s. 

He's had a rough season between the shoulder injury and covid bs he's really not had a chance to get into a rhythm.

Watching my 1st college game of the year, basically.  Have had it as background noise here and there.  Javonte Williams looks terrific.  Big, but looks natural as a receiver and definitely can work between the tackles.  Chazz Surratt is not only an interesting story, but really good player with size/speed/instincts.  

So we’re probably looking at a pick in the 13-15 range, and I gotta tell you...I hate that area of this draft right now. I know the board will move around a million times in the next 5 months, but right now, it’s ugly. Need a corner? The top tier (Surtain + Farley) is gone. 34DL? Won’t be any taken in the top 25. Other front 7 guys? There are two I like (Paye and Owusu-Koramoah), but they’re strictly 43 personnel. 

There is one position where it looks like need will fit value, and that’s OT. Leatherwood, Cosmi, Darrisaw all look like legit mid-late 1st rounders to me. At present time, barring a trade up or down, moving Ja’Wuan James and grabbing one of these three (right now I think I prefer Cosmi?) is the way to go. 

6 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

34DL? Won’t be any taken in the top 25.

I just looked at Dane Brugler's rankings - wow. First DT is Christian Barmore at #31 .............. Just our luck.

"There isn’t much debate: Defensive tackle looks like the most underwhelming position in the draft. Barmore is the only player at the position to make my top-50 list and even he needs a lot of work"

This is where our FO earn their money. There will be top level DTs (3-4 DE in our case) that come out of this draft. There is in every single draft. Can we find one outside of the 1st round, just like Elway did with Jackson and Wolfe?

We hoped we did with Jones; we didn't. Not saying he can't be a rotational piece, but he isn't an every down force like Malik Jackson was, and like Wolfe was in parts.

9 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

So we’re probably looking at a pick in the 13-15 range, and I gotta tell you...I hate that area of this draft right now. I know the board will move around a million times in the next 5 months, but right now, it’s ugly. Need a corner? The top tier (Surtain + Farley) is gone. 34DL? Won’t be any taken in the top 25. Other front 7 guys? There are two I like (Paye and Owusu-Koramoah), but they’re strictly 43 personnel. 

There is one position where it looks like need will fit value, and that’s OT. Leatherwood, Cosmi, Darrisaw all look like legit mid-late 1st rounders to me. At present time, barring a trade up or down, moving Ja’Wuan James and grabbing one of these three (right now I think I prefer Cosmi?) is the way to go. 

Definitely an awkward position to be in as far as talent and where our needs combine. Farley has a chance to drop given the time off. Barmore has been getting better along with that bama defense as the season has progressed but still not ideal in that range. Leatherwood and cosmi are solid guys, which is good enough at RT but not exactly exciting for your first round pick. Darrisaw has looked really good but I need to see more. 

8 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

Definitely an awkward position to be in as far as talent and where our needs combine. Farley has a chance to drop given the time off. Barmore has been getting better along with that bama defense as the season has progressed but still not ideal in that range. Leatherwood and cosmi are solid guys, which is good enough at RT but not exactly exciting for your first round pick. Darrisaw has looked really good but I need to see more. 

Farley will slide into our range until the combine, when he’ll run ~4.40 at 205 lbs. Then he’ll be back in the top 10. 

I’m basing Darrisaw mostly on the Miami game right now (Canes fan). He went against Quincy Roche, a potential 2nd-3rd rounder, and absolutely destroyed him. I don’t know, he and Cosmi are real close in my mind, probably in the 20ish range. I’ll watch some more.

10 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I just looked at Dane Brugler's rankings - wow. First DT is Christian Barmore at #31 .............. Just our luck.

"There isn’t much debate: Defensive tackle looks like the most underwhelming position in the draft. Barmore is the only player at the position to make my top-50 list and even he needs a lot of work"

This is where our FO earn their money. There will be top level DTs (3-4 DE in our case) that come out of this draft. There is in every single draft. Can we find one outside of the 1st round, just like Elway did with Jackson and Wolfe?

We hoped we did with Jones; we didn't. Not saying he can't be a rotational piece, but he isn't an every down force like Malik Jackson was, and like Wolfe was in parts.

Can’t watch them in live games right now, but Tufele from USC and Twyman from Pitt are guys I’ve seen some good tape of. Tufele holds his ground against the run, Twyman is more of a penetrator, but I think I like his odds of becoming an all-around guy better. Marvin Wilson was invisible for FSU this season when I watched. That D is bad, so he saw his share of double-teams, but he got swallowed up by them routinely. Apparently he was active against UNC, haven’t seen any of it yet. 

6 hours ago, germ-x said:

Saw an interesting take today on Twitter.  Daniel Jeremiah, who is one of my favorite draftniks has Slater from Northwestern over Sewell.

I think Slater's earned the Rd1 talk - but Sewell's been elite for longer, and broke out at such a young age.  That's still such a reliable indicator of NFL success.   I will give full cred though for thriving on bad Big 10 teams - that's another sign to look for (but I value the age of breakout most of all reliability-wise).

20 hours ago, germ-x said:

Saw an interesting take today on Twitter.  Daniel Jeremiah, who is one of my favorite draftniks has Slater from Northwestern over Sewell.

It tempts me to say ‘clickbait!’, but DJ was first on Becton last year, and that looks prescient. Never known him to be a shock-value guy. I know Brugler’s been high on him, too. I think he’s got Slater in the top 20.

Sewell is the better prospect by a comfortable margin for me, but I also don’t view him as a generational type LT. I think he fits in with the top 4 from last summer (who we all liked a lot). The previous 5-6 drafts were actually real light with premier LT prospects, so I think that’s causing us to overrate Sewell a bit when he’s the only clear top 10 guy. 

Edited by broncosfan_101