2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

7 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

It tempts me to say ‘clickbait!’, but DJ was first on Becton last year, and that looks prescient. Never known him to be a shock-value guy. I know Brugler’s been high on him, too. I think he’s got Slater in the top 20.

Sewell is the better prospect by a comfortable margin for me, but I also don’t view him as a generational type LT. I think he fits in with the top 4 from last summer (who we all liked a lot). The previous 5-6 drafts were actually real light with premier LT prospects, so I think that’s causing us to overrate Sewell a bit when he’s the only clear top 10 guy. 

Last year’s draft was an oasis in the desert in terms of OT prospects. There’s a good chance the top 4 were among the 5 best OT’s coming out of college since Greg Robinson in 2014. It had been lean for a while.

Talk of the ILB class in another thread, I watched the Georgia and Alabama tape for Nick Bolton, and I’m not touching that guy. Giving him a bit of a pass vs Bama, as that OL is incredible, and has eaten up basically every front 7 they’ve played. Georgia’s good, too, but it’s not that he was getting swallowed up as much as he was completely lost in traffic. So many bad gaps/angles, including a couple missed tackles. Based on those games, there’s no way you can consider using a top 50 pick on him. 

I'm pretty okay with running Josey and Alexander out there again tbh. Could they be upgraded? Certainly, but they're pretty solid overall. I didn't expect Jewell to be anything more than a backup but he's been a pleasant surprise. 

If we went that route though, I wouldn't be too upset with owusu-koramoah. The value should be there in the 10-15 range, especially after he blows up the combing like I expect. He can be Fangio's Roquan Smith in Denver. 

I love Zaven Collins but would be a slight reach at our position imo. Surratt in the second would be cool too but he's gonna be another combine darling and probably gets taken before that.

2 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

I'm pretty okay with running Josey and Alexander out there again tbh. Could they be upgraded? Certainly, but they're pretty solid overall. I didn't expect Jewell to be anything more than a backup but he's been a pleasant surprise. 

If we went that route though, I wouldn't be too upset with owusu-koramoah. The value should be there in the 10-15 range, especially after he blows up the combing like I expect. He can be Fangio's Roquan Smith in Denver. 

I love Zaven Collins but would be a slight reach at our position imo. Surratt in the second would be cool too but he's gonna be another combine darling and probably gets taken before that.

JOK plays at ~215 lbs. I could see a team using him in more of a Jamal Adams, safety in the box type role. He lines up in the slot a bunch for ND, I don’t like him as much in traffic. I will say this though, if Vic would sign off on this pick, I’d trust him to use JOK well. 

Watched Surritt vs the Canes, and there’s so much boom-bust in his play. He flies to the ball, but he’s a bad tackler. If you can fix that, he’s a real player, but I don’t know if Vic would sign up to teach a 2nd rounder that skill. 

15 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

JOK plays at ~215 lbs. I could see a team using him in more of a Jamal Adams, safety in the box type role. He lines up in the slot a bunch for ND, I don’t like him as much in traffic. I will say this though, if Vic would sign off on this pick, I’d trust him to use JOK well. 

Watched Surritt vs the Canes, and there’s so much boom-bust in his play. He flies to the ball, but he’s a bad tackler. If you can fix that, he’s a real player, but I don’t know if Vic would sign up to teach a 2nd rounder that skill. 

Lack of tackling ability pretty much crosses CB's off Fangio's list; hard to see that change here with the centerpiece of his D.

Edited by Broncofan

38 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Yeah he's small but makes so many plays. Again, not what I'd prefer but if it happened, I could get behind it.

I've seen all of Surratt's games the last couple of years. Totally agree but he's new (mentioned at least 5 times a broadcast "the former QB") and really talented. Makes mistakes, not the most instinctual and can disappear, but he's has all the tools.

Just based on positional value, I'd try like hell to trade up this year if I can. Especially if there's a defensive player we fall in love with. Given how much of last year's draft capital was used on offensive players, I am expecting to see a swing the other direction this year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Just based on positional value, I'd try like hell to trade up this year if I can. Especially if there's a defensive player we fall in love with. Given how much of last year's draft capital was used on offensive players, I am expecting to see a swing the other direction this year.

Assuming we’re in the 13-15, Farley, Parsons, and Surtain are the only defenders that should go before our pick, *unless* Rousseau shows up at the combine at 270+ lbs and keeps his explosiveness. If we thought he’d have a reasonable chance of playing at 280+, I think he could play 34DE. He did most of his damage playing inside last season, I don’t think he’s got the bend to be an elite edge rusher. 

Honestly, I’d think long and hard about moving up for Parsons if he got within reasonable range. Depending on how the rest of the board was falling, I could see myself using a 3rd rounder to secure him in the top 10. 

A guy I’m excited to watch this bowl season is Derion Kendrick. There’s buzz that he could give the CB class a big 3, as opposed to just Farley and Surtain at the top. From what I’ve seen, he’s incredibly smooth. Would love to see another corner shoot up the board into our range. 

• Like 1

Hopefully we see a run on WRs and a few OL along with the QBs to push one of the top 4-5 defenders to our spot. If any of Parsons, Surtain or Rousseau are there wherever we we’re picking in the 10-15 range, that would be awesome. A great plan would be to come out of next year’s draft with two cornerstone defensive players, and one almost certainly needs to be a defensive back. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Hopefully we see a run on WRs and a few OL along with the QBs to push one of the top 4-5 defenders to our spot. If any of Parsons, Surtain or Rousseau are there wherever we we’re picking in the 10-15 range, that would be awesome. A great plan would be to come out of next year’s draft with two cornerstone defensive players, and one almost certainly needs to be a defensive back. 

In the top 12, it’s possible we see 3 WR’s, 4 QB’s, and a TE taken. That would be ideal. 

I watched ‘The Minnesota game’ tape for Kwity Paye this morning, and...uhhh...yeah I definitely see the hype. We should acknowledge that it’s easily his best collegiate game ever, but at the same time, it was incredible. He was beating tackles inside and out, lining up inside and creating pressure there, absorbing interior double-teams vs the run. Dude is STRONG.  He wasn’t dropping into coverage at all, so I suspect his best fit is at 43DE, but he already plays between 270-275 lbs, maybe he could tack on 10-15 more and play 34DE? The strength seriously looked capable. 

Depending upon what happens with QB, and I’m still willing to give Drew another year with Shurmur and a real offseason, I think we really need to look at CBs early and often. 

It’s a position Elway rightly places high value on. With Sutton coming back I think we’re good at WR/TE and I like the youth on offense. Maybe if there’s an elite RT prospect you go for it. But I think CB is far and away our #1 need.

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Depending upon what happens with QB, and I’m still willing to give Drew another year with Shurmur and a real offseason, I think we really need to look at CBs early and often. 

It’s a position Elway rightly places high value on. With Sutton coming back I think we’re good at WR/TE and I like the youth on offense. Maybe if there’s an elite RT prospect you go for it. But I think CB is far and away our #1 need.

I do not disagree.  Something interesting with Fangio is he tends to be able to always have good DB play without dumping a ton of resources into it.  So it will be interesting in what direction they go.  

8 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Projecting Von, Kareem, Simmons, and Shelby are back, and Casey and Bouye are gone, I’d currently rank our (draft) needs as:

1. CB - Our only starting caliber corner is a guy with serious durability issues.

2. DE - Restructuring Jurrell would bump this down a bit, but losing Shelby would vault this to the top of the list, as well. Dre’Mont’s not a 3-down guy.

3. RT - Ja’Wuan is a complete wildcard at this point. Calvin Anderson seems like more of a swing guy.

4. OLB - If Von’s back, that buys us time, but Chubb/Reed is not a fearsome duo. 

5. S - Would like to find a guy on a rookie deal to fill the Will Parks role, and be groomed to take over for Kareem. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Caleb Farley would be a great pick up in the first for this scheme. 

46 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Projecting Von, Kareem, Simmons, and Shelby are back, and Casey and Bouye are gone, I’d currently rank our (draft) needs as:

1. CB - Our only starting caliber corner is a guy with serious durability issues.

2. DE - Restructuring Jurrell would bump this down a bit, but losing Shelby would vault this to the top of the list, as well. Dre’Mont’s not a 3-down guy.

3. RT - Ja’Wuan is a complete wildcard at this point. Calvin Anderson seems like more of a swing guy.

4. OLB - If Von’s back, that buys us time, but Chubb/Reed is not a fearsome duo. 

5. S - Would like to find a guy on a rookie deal to fill the Will Parks role, and be groomed to take over for Kareem. 

I'd think you have to trade James if you can get a taker. I tend to agree with you on Anderson but I'd like a longer look. Why Wilkinson was in the lineup last week I'll never understand.