2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

16 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’m still bullish on Fields though his timing has to speed up. Lawrence and Wilson both look legit to me. 

It feels like everyone is going to get a good young QB before we do. :(

Started watching these guys yesterday and watched Fields today (I’ve seen 4 total, Lawrence, Sewell, Parsons, Fields) and to add I have literally no feel for Wilson as I haven’t even seen highlights.

I watched Fields vs Penn State and Indiana.

Fields isn’t Lawrence, crazily because I think Fields is a top notch prospect, but he isn’t close.  Reading comparisons to Russell Wilson for Zach Wilson (again haven’t seen Z. Wilson) but Fields reminded me of Russell.  Excellent athlete with a big time arm.  He most likely won’t be that good, neither will Z. Wilson, but Fields skill set is probably at that level when talking about athleticism and arm talent.

I thought Fields does a decent job of progressing through a play.  Part of that is he’s good at extending it.  He’s pretty damn accurate as well.  I think he throws a good intermediate to deep ball.   I thought his awareness for pressure is average and he gets away with a lot because of his athletic talent in that regard. Especially in the Indiana game he tried to do too much.  Making passes he had no business making trying to make a play.  I honestly don’t recall him throwing a ball away in 2 games and there were handful of times that should’ve been his decision.

Edited by germ-x

2 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

With the loss to LAC (and DAL’s win over PHI) we moved into the 1.10 spot. We move up further with a loss + CIN/PHI/DET/NYG/CAR win 🤞🏼

I don’t think CIN has a prayer against BAL. stopping the run is a foreign concept to them.    CAR vs. NO either given their inability to stop the run.  

Phi / DET (if Stafford plays) / NYG are all live.   Frankly I’d take the Den L first.   It would guarantee CB or ILB or QB all there on the Big Board - obv better if it’s 7-8 than 10.   But staying in top 10 keeps a reach scenario purely out of need far less likely.  

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I don’t think CIN has a prayer against BAL. stopping the run is a foreign concept to them.    CAR vs. NO either given their inability to stop the run.  

Phi / DET (if Stafford plays) / NYG are all live.   Frankly I’d take the Den L first.   It would guarantee CB or ILB or QB all there on the Big Board - obv better if it’s 7-8 than 10.   But staying in top 10 keeps a reach scenario purely out of need far less likely.  

I’d guess the most likely scenario is two of those teams win, so a loss to Vegas gets us the 8th pick. A win pushes us into 13-14 range. The difference in pick value between these positions is roughly equivalent to a mid-2nd rounder. 

28 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I’d guess the most likely scenario is two of those teams win, so a loss to Vegas gets us the 8th pick. A win pushes us into 13-14 range. The difference in pick value between these positions is roughly equivalent to a mid-2nd rounder. 

More importantly, a 8-9 pick gets into the 3rd-4th QB discussion, or more likely, the Surtain - Horn / Parsons target range.    If we're not going QB (which I think seems to be the consensus so far from the beat reporters), we're getting a top elite ceiling guy at one of our key need areas (say what you will about our ILB's, Fangio wants an elite MIKE, and no one is saying no to a shutdown CB who can tackle).

Edited by Broncofan

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Has anyone watched much of Caleb Farley?

Here and there, but obviously not this year with his opt out. I have mixed feelings on him. On one hand, he's incredibly physical and his measurables are great. On the other hands, I have concerns about his injury history, and I'm not totally sure how he fits in a zone scheme. 

My favorite CB prospect for us in R1 is Jaycee Horn. I think he's got the physicality, football smarts, and track record in the best conference in football. Don't get me wrong, would be happy if we drafted Farley as well, but I like Horn a lot.

Surtain doesn't seem to be a great scheme fit for us at CB, though I think he's a good prospect.

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

More importantly, a 8-9 pick gets into the 3rd-4th QB discussion, or more likely, the Surtain - Horn / Parsons target range.    If we're not going QB (which I think seems to be the consensus so far from the beat reporters), we're getting a top elite ceiling guy at one of our key need areas (say what you will about our ILB's, Fangio wants an elite MIKE, and no one is saying no to a shutdown CB who can tackle).

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Here and there, but obviously not this year with his opt out. I have mixed feelings on him. On one hand, he's incredibly physical and his measurables are great. On the other hands, I have concerns about his injury history, and I'm not totally sure how he fits in a zone scheme. 

My favorite CB prospect for us in R1 is Jaycee Horn. I think he's got the physicality, football smarts, and track record in the best conference in football. Don't get me wrong, would be happy if we drafted Farley as well, but I like Horn a lot.

Surtain doesn't seem to be a great scheme fit for us at CB, though I think he's a good prospect.

It's still early in the process but top ten feels a little rich for Horn. He's probably a late first type of guy and my fourth favorite corner atm. 

I don't see how a tall, athletic, shutdown corner like surtain isn't a scheme fit. I get that we primarily run a lot of zone, but surtain is smart and doesn't seem afraid of contact. A great press man coverage corner is definitely more of a luxury but we could also be running an entirely different scheme of Vic doesn't turn things around anyway.

2 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

It's still early in the process but top ten feels a little rich for Horn. He's probably a late first type of guy and my fourth favorite corner atm. 

I don't see how a tall, athletic, shutdown corner like surtain isn't a scheme fit. I get that we primarily run a lot of zone, but surtain is smart and doesn't seem afraid of contact. A great press man coverage corner is definitely more of a luxury but we could also be running an entirely different scheme of Vic doesn't turn things around anyway.

I don't think Surtain is a zone corner. That's not uncommon. Not all press man CBs integrate well into that scheme.

8 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I don't think Surtain is a zone corner. That's not uncommon. Not all press man CBs integrate well into that scheme.

It's not something he was asked to do, but he's the most talented corner and would be a mistake to pass on him because of it. He reminds me a lot of Marshon Lattimore who was my favorite corner prospect of the last few years. 

It's probably a moot point anyway as I think he's gone before our pick anyway.

1 hour ago, rcpbawler said:

It's not something he was asked to do, but he's the most talented corner and would be a mistake to pass on him because of it. He reminds me a lot of Marshon Lattimore who was my favorite corner prospect of the last few years. 

It's probably a moot point anyway as I think he's gone before our pick anyway.

I think Farley looks interesting, and if that is the way the Broncos go, I think you could trade down to get him, and pick up some more picks in the process.

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Ah, you know me. I don't really pay attention to college ball. This is just the time of year I start asking those of you who do.

You guys give me great info, thanks.

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Has anyone watched much of Caleb Farley?

I’ve watched his ND and Miami tapes from last year, and he’s my favourite CB prospect for us. Very willing in the run game, even if I wouldn’t say he actively attacks. Solid, strong tackler. When he does get beat, it’s because he’s in man but he can’t help himself with peeking at the QB. He’s always looking in the backfield (VT played a lot of zone.) He gets a little handsy, but not to the point where it’s a problem, I don’t think? He and Micah Parsons are my 1a and 1b defensive prospects at the moment.

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I’ve watched his ND and Miami tapes from last year, and he’s my favourite CB prospect for us. Very willing in the run game, even if I wouldn’t say he actively attacks. Solid, strong tackler. When he does get beat, it’s because he’s in man but he can’t help himself with peeking at the QB. He’s always looking in the backfield (VT played a lot of zone.) He gets a little handsy, but not to the point where it’s a problem, I don’t think? He and Micah Parsons are my 1a and 1b defensive prospects at the moment.

Parsons sounds like the real deal also. Sounds like he has the size, speed, instincts, to make an immediate impact in the NFL.

Interested to know what Vic thinks about him.