2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

13 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Parsons really depends how far you have to move up. If he slides to the Lions at 7, it should cost less than our 3rd. Depending how the board is falling, I’d seriously consider it.

I like Jaycee Horn, but he’ll struggle if refs aren’t fans of ‘letting them play.’ He’s VERY grabby, and I think his physical strength over college WR’s lets him do it legally enough. I wonder what that looks like when he’s lined up across from men, though. Caleb Farley is certainly my favourite corner for a zone scheme like ours. 

Yeah, moving up for Parsons for anything less than a 3rd is fine, the hit rates don't make it worth sweating about.

The problem with CB as I see it - the best pure cover guy, Surtain, isn't such a great fit with Fangio's scheme.   The guys who work best in Fangio's scheme, aren't really seen as top 12 guys.   And frankly, they aren't the same guys impact wise as Parsons would be as our Roquan / Devin White.   Or, if we believe in them, 1 of the top 4 QB's.  

I accepted that Elway/Fangio would pass on QB.    It made sense given their goals.  Now, though - Elway's resignation changes the landscape completely.   The new GM is going to be looking at us long-term. I would be VERY disappointed if they didn't target QB, or Parsons.  To me, those are the 2 guys that can turn a franchise around quickly (White wasn't alone, but his drafting, combined with Barrett as a FA, and some smart drafting - Rd2 pick Winfield an impact guy too, and Vea was a game changer) - TAM has gone from a bottom 5-8 D in 2016-8 to now a top 10 unit.    White's the lynchpin in the middle.  I know our D is already good - but Parsons would be a key reason why it could be elite again.   On the flip side, we know our O is limited by our QB play - it's not the OL, it's not the skill guys, it's all about QB.   if there's a way to get a guy the GM believes in, knowing it's not Elway's call, I'd feel a lot better about it.  

I can get behind Surtain, Horn, Farley, for different reasons.  I just don't think they have the ceiling impact that Parson/QB does.   If it only costs a Rd3 pick to move up to get them, go for it.   The more difficult Q is if it costs 2 1sts, what do you do - I can't justify that for any defender, and you have to be locked in on a QB you absolutely love, to do it.   Either way, I'd bet dimes to dollars that whoever we hire as GM, won''t be nearly as transparent as Elway has been, so it's going to be quite the guessing game this offseason.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Parsons really depends how far you have to move up. If he slides to the Lions at 7, it should cost less than our 3rd. Depending how the board is falling, I’d seriously consider it.

I like Jaycee Horn, but he’ll struggle if refs aren’t fans of ‘letting them play.’ He’s VERY grabby, and I think his physical strength over college WR’s lets him do it legally enough. I wonder what that looks like when he’s lined up across from men, though. Caleb Farley is certainly my favourite corner for a zone scheme like ours. 

I know I'm a bit "Old School" but adding a dynamic ILB to a defense changes good defenses to great ones. It's like adding a top tier QB to an offense. 

In response to those who think we're good at the position just consider, Parsons would make every play our ILB's already make, add in a few more, impact another half dozen and make one or two "splash" plays a game. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

can get behind Surtain, Horn, Farley, for different reasons.  I just don't think they have the ceiling impact that Parson/QB does.   If it only costs a Rd3 pick to move up to get them, go for it.   The more difficult Q is if it costs 2 1sts, what do you do - I can't justify that for any defender, and you have to be locked in on a QB you absolutely love, to do it.   Either way, I'd bet dimes to dollars that whoever we hire as GM, won''t be nearly as transparent as Elway has been, so it's going to be quite the guessing game this offseason

I just hope Elway doesn't leak it after all they have to report to him.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

.   The more difficult Q is if it costs 2 1sts, what do you do - I can't justify that for any defender, and you have to be locked in on a QB you absolutely love, to do it.   Either way, I'd bet dimes to dollars that whoever we hire as GM, won''t be nearly as transparent as Elway has been, so it's going to be quite the guessing game this offseason.

I find it oddly coincidental Elway first was talking to Ellis about this move a month ago. Right when all that Qb mask bs was happening, around the poor perfect in the Raiders game, his mom defending him on twitter.

I think Ellis had enough and suggested something like it. A theory of mine may be changing the GM or the head coach was the only way QB was going to be addressed heavily 

I believe there was a handshake agreement with Fangio for a guaranteed 3 years. And for all of his flaws speaking wise he always seems cool calm and collected. 

Did Elway get an ultimatum so they can rip the band-aid off at QB? It's in the realm of possibility.

8 hours ago, Counselor said:

How many move ups in the top 10 have we seen just cost a 3rd or less? I think you guys are being unrealistic on what it would cost.

The only time it costs that little is when it's literally 1 spot in the top 5 (3rd and 4th with SF & CHI in the famous Trubisky fake-out), or 2 spots near the 10 hole. 

I do agree that the "book value" doesn't matter as much as the market, though.  We took lower than book value in moving from 10 to 20 because only PIT was interested in moving that far up (and Elway wanted Fant, so wanted as much in return to move to that range, correctly guessing he didn't have to worry about 11-19).   LAR got a mint for moving down with WAS for RG3.  In the end, demand drives the price.   

I could see a 3rd if we're looking to move up from 9 to 7, for Parsons.  That's slightly above book value, and it's only for a non-QB.   In that scenario, the demand for Lance isn't high, and the other 3 QB's are long gone.   If it's a move to get Lance, though, I suspect the price is higher - because there's likely more than 1 other bidder, and the premium on QB's usually creates a higher-than-book return.

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The only time it costs that little is when it's literally 1 spot in the top 5 (3rd and 4th with SF & CHI in the famous Trubisky fake-out), or 2 spots near the 10 hole. 

I do agree that the "book value" doesn't matter as much as the market, though.  We took lower than book value in moving from 10 to 20 because only PIT was interested in moving that far up (and Elway wanted Fant, so wanted as much in return to move to that range, correctly guessing he didn't have to worry about 11-19).   LAR got a mint for moving down with WAS for RG3.  In the end, demand drives the price.   

I could see a 3rd if we're looking to move up from 9 to 7, for Parsons.  That's slightly above book value, and it's only for a non-QB.   In that scenario, the demand for Lance isn't high, and the other 3 QB's are long gone.   If it's a move to get Lance, though, I suspect the price is higher - because there's likely more than 1 other bidder, and the premium on QB's usually creates a higher-than-book return.

It’s going to cost more. I’d bet my last dollar on it. Only one way to find out. 

Just now, broncosfan_101 said:

Ah yes, bulls*** season. ‘How do we get Parsons to slide to the Cowboys at 1.10?’

...or there are legitimate character concerns that shouldn’t be dismissed or lazily attributed to BS season. Not the first thing I’ve read that paints him in a negative light. 

Doesn’t mean I’m not very interested in drafting Parsons, but there’s some work to be done in assessing what kind of person he is. There are a lot of stories about what a pain in the *** he was during his recruiting process. Allegations of hazing, some of a sexual nature. Choking a teammate until he pulled a knife to defend himself. Now this report. 

10 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

...or there are legitimate character concerns that shouldn’t be dismissed or lazily attributed to BS season. Not the first thing I’ve read that paints him in a negative light. 

You know ‘where there’s smoke there’s fire’? This time of year, you’ve gotta actually see the flames before you believe it. 

2 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

You know ‘where there’s smoke there’s fire’? This time of year, you’ve gotta actually see the flames before you believe it. 

You would have a point if these reports came out of nowhere. You can find an article from 2017 about his immaturity and poor judgment. Hazing allegations from an ex-teammate that basically qualify as sexual assault. Choking that teammate. This is an inferno.

47 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

You would have a point if these reports came out of nowhere. You can find an article from 2017 about his immaturity and poor judgment. Hazing allegations from an ex-teammate that basically qualify as sexual assault. Choking that teammate. This is an inferno.

I did some digging. The immaturity thing in 2017, he was 17-18 years old and an extremely desired commodity by multi-million dollar businesses. Brush that aside easily. The alleged sexual assault hazing allegation is odd because he’s not named in the suit, but is said to have conspired with the defendant. No details on how they conspired from what I could see (putting the two star players as conspirators but not actually involving them in the suit *could potentially* be seen as a way to drum up media interest and getting public opinion on the plaintiff’s side. Not saying that’s what happened. Could be a legit problem with Parsons. No idea.) Choking the teammate seems to be a harmless prank (pouring water on a sleeping teammate) that turned into a fight which got out of hand. I don’t see anything from the outside that would in any way move him on my board, but maybe with the kind of digging teams are sure to do, they’ll find stuff, or justifications for these incidents, that are problematic.