2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

I get that Parsons is a great prospect, but none of this stuff should be easily brushed aside. It’s all part of the character evaluation. How many recruits have had articles written about what a pain in the *** they are? How many 5 star guys do teams stop recruiting because of character concerns? In this case, it’s Ohio State of all schools saying the kid wasn’t worth the trouble. Urban Meyer, who would field a death row cell block if it got him to 12 wins, said no thanks. 

I don’t want to get too much into the weeds on the hazing allegations as it’s probably reckless to speculate on stuff of that nature from the outside but obviously if true it’s a huge red flag. 

Harmless prank leading to a fight is fine. When your instinct isn’t to throw hands but to choke the other person? To the point where the much smaller kid has to pull a knife to defend himself? Sorry, that’s not just boys being boys. That’s psychotic behavior. 

Hopefully he’s grown as a young man. He’s an incredible talent and obviously most people naturally mature as they enter adulthood, and progressively grow a little bit at a time. 

But if that’s not the case and these reports are all true, we’re talking about a bully who takes things way too far, and has a poor attitude and a selfish streak. Not exactly in line with the upstanding young men this team has targeted in the draft since 2018. So it’s something to watch. 

When it comes to draft prospects, we all like to play the role of GM - but we also recognize that it's a hobby for us, and not our job.  Nor should it be viewed that way - because frankly, we only get a glimpse of the entire picture.     That's also why the "why don't you play GM for real" calls to fans is pretty disingenuous - if a FO isn't doing better than the public opinion, then they're frankly incompetent.  FO's should be getting calls right far more than the fanbase, because they have all the available information. 

Having said that - the one area where you have to defer to FO's is if they take someone off the board for character concerns.   The obvious flaw with this approach is that the risk is overblown, or the player has matured since that time, and the talent outshines the risk.   Sometimes, it's just dumb luck, but the talent outshines and overcomes, even though the character risk is real.    Where FO's go awry in overblowing character concerns - when unconventional personalities are labelled as character risks, or when FO's fall victim to the lying game, and then fanbases rightfully despair.   But if a guy is truly a bad character, it's hard not to see why FO's downgrade them.   It just comes with the very real risk the talent will show up, and the risk doesn't bear out.  

I don't know whether or not the risk is real with Parsons.   But after backing Reuben Foster hard, I'd be silly not to recognize the one area fans don't get a look at - their true character.  For 90+ percent of players, it's probably not a deal-breaker.   But if it is a deal-breaker for FO's, well, we don't get the full picture.    We can debate whether a FO is being too harsh in the line it sets - but ultimately, we literally get no real info in this area.  Doesn't mean the FO gets it right each time, either.  But it's hard to discount. 

If we take Parsons at 1.9, I will accept the FO did its due diligence.  If Parsons is there and he falls past us for anyone but a QB, I'll accept that character concerns were the reason.  It certainly won't be because of his play / skills / ceiling. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Tbh I wouldn’t even think he makes it to 9 unless a few teams ahead of us have those concerns. He’s a monster. I don’t even think of him as a traditional off-ball linebacker, he’s just a “blow **** up” guy. I’d be very interested in seeing how Vic takes advantage of his unique skill set.  The traditional LB attributes are probably a little raw, but that’s not what I would be drafting him for. It’s the game wrecking ability, the potential to send a quarterback or running back into another dimension on any given play. He can be a splash play machine at the next level.

Edited by BroncoBruin

As a fan there’s just no way of knowing a guys personality behind closed doors.  Parson’s definitely has a poor track record and I would have no issue passing on him if he doesn’t check out.

Will say that over the last 5 or so drafts he’s probably the best LB I’ve watched.  He’s just far more dynamic than guys like Devin White, Roquan Smith, and Devin Bush.  

More than willing to pass on that talent though if he’s going to be a mess to have on the team.

Edited by germ-x

Did you do any research on why Ohio State stopped recruiting him?

While on a campus tour led by football recruiting assistant Ed Terwilliger, the recruit met Herbstreit on the show’s set, took a photo with two College GameDay analysts who are not former Ohio State players — believed to be Corso and Davis — while sitting on-stage, and met George off the set, according to the records. Though recruits on official visits are able to speak with former student-athletes of the school they are visiting, they are not allowed to “have contact with members of the media associated with former student-athletes.”

“As such, a violation of NCAA Bylaws 13.10.1 and 13.10.2.4 occurred, as members of the media may not be present during an institution’s recruiting contact with a prospect and a prospect may not participate in team activities that would make the public or media aware of the prospect’s visit to the institution,” Ohio State’s self-violation report said.

According to the records, Terwilliger allowed the recruit and his parents to enter College GameDay’s production area in front of the set, which is inaccessible to the public. The group was then given credentials by a producer of the show. The action is regarded as an improper benefit by the NCAA, and was self-reported by Ohio State. 

As a result of the violations, Terwilliger was suspended one game and received a letter of reprimand. The compliance office also prevented every athletics program from “being in the vicinity” of the College GameDay set for the rest of the 2017-18 academic year. The compliance office will “provide additional compliance education” to Ohio State’s football recruiting staff. College GameDay producers and analysts will also be “provided education” during future broadcasts involving Ohio State.

Following Ohio State’s self-imposed punishments, the NCAA determined “no further action should be taken by the NCAA enforcement staff.”

He later tweeted the team should start Haskins over Barrett. I can see as a coach how you wouldn’t want that kind of behavior but that’s not the deal breaker.

The fact he was seen in pictures violating the rules OSU wanted to get ahead of it and they had no choice but to stop recruiting him. His parents were the ones who requested to go on set by the way. 

• Like 1

If we dont take a QB, and cant get Sewell, I would love to make a big trade down to get a 2022 FRP and draft Zaven Collins late R1. I love the kid, and really want more ammo for a draft that has a normal NCAA season. Also prefer taking the 'use 2 FRP to trade up for your guy' route at QB and getting more capital would help in that area. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

THERE’S the Christian Barmore I was falling in love with earlier in the season. 

He’s made himself some $ tonight. 

Fields playing out the 4Q probably helps his cause.   That was a brutal mismatch so him continuing to hang in and actually have to play with 2nd stringers and make tough throws his stock won’t change much.   If anything he probably gets points for character.  

Edited by Broncofan

9 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

If we dont take a QB, and cant get Sewell, I would love to make a big trade down to get a 2022 FRP and draft Zaven Collins late R1. I love the kid, and really want more ammo for a draft that has a normal NCAA season. Also prefer taking the 'use 2 FRP to trade up for your guy' route at QB and getting more capital would help in that area. 

Wouldn't shock me if Zaven Collins was a no doubt Top 10/15 pick by draft time. He's that good. 

• Like 3

Just going through some potential trade-down scenarios, as I stated in another thread how the Minnesota front office has been very active in that regard, and I think it wise to believe General Paton could bring the same philosophy with him here. 

At this moment in time, I’ve got Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Sewell, Smith, Parsons, and Chase as close to locks to be taken before 1.9 as can be expected four months before the draft. Lance could easily be the 8th guy taken before our pick, let’s say CAR takes him. I really like Farley, I’d have no problem with Surtain being the guy, but I also wouldn’t be terribly upset with the front office if they made the decision that 1.9 is too early for a corner in general. NYJ is probably going QB. MIA is probably going Sewell. Both teams still need offensive weapons on top of that. Would you be willing to make a big move down, either for 1.23 + 2.2 from NYJ, or 1.18 + 2.4 from MIA, assuming one of them is enamoured with either Waddle or Pitts? My guess is that the MIA situation is more likely, since they’re getting closer to finishing their roster, as opposed to NYJ probably just needing as many picks as possible. You’re not getting Farley or Surtain that far down the board, but it could be a good spot for Zaven Collins, Azeej Ojulari, Jaycee Horn, or Christian Darrisaw. That early 2nd would now be useful if you’re targeting Christian Barmore (although you’d probably have to move up a bit from there.)

I don’t know, I’m generally a ‘take an elite talent when you’ve got the chance’ guy, but I also really like the values that should be available between picks 20-40 in this draft. 

• Like 1

I still have only watched 4 players closely on this draft.  Did watch both semifinals games and the national championship more as background noise. Devonta Smith is an absolute beast from what I saw but is he really going to be a top 10 pick? While he tore it up he also looked like he was 170 pounds and lack any type of physicality. 

Edited by germ-x