2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

39 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I still have only watched 4 players closely on this draft.  Did watch both semifinals games and the national championship more as background noise. Devonta Smith is an absolute beast from what I saw but is he really going to be a top 10 pick? While he tore it up he also looked like he was 170 pounds and lack any type of physicality. 

Yes.

35 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

CB Derion Kenrick could be an early 2nd, he hasn't been playing that position for long but shows the fire, aggression and size we could use opposite Ojemudia. Fills a big need once we cut Bouye

He just announced he’s staying in school.

51 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I still have only watched 4 players closely on this draft.  Did watch both semifinals games and the national championship more as background noise. Devonta Smith is an absolute beast from what I saw but is he really going to be a top 10 pick? While he tore it up he also looked like he was 170 pounds and lack any type of physicality. 

Yeah I don’t think it’s a lock at all. The production is great but he’s not the kind of receiver you see go top 10.

1 minute ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Every evaluator I’ve seen in the last few days has him top 5. A bunch have him mocked to MIA at 1.3. He’s going before our pick.

Can’t imagine any front offices are tipping their hands like that in January, so really you’re talking about media guys. I don’t view it as a sure thing at all. We’ll see.

Sure hope he does though, would help a great defensive BPA fall right into our lap.

The Paton hire may change the equation a bit. Spielman loved moving up and down the draft. There are a lot of teams behind us who could use a QB, 9 might be a sweet spot for a team to move up for Lance.

9 hours ago, germ-x said:

I mean to be fair, Antonio Brown in his prime wasn't exactly the biggest guy either but still made a lot of incredible plays. I don't know that Brown is the most apt comparison, and I think Jamarr Chase is better than Devonta, but he can certainly be a good pro with his physique.

7 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Sure hope he does though, would help a great defensive BPA fall right into our lap.

The Paton hire may change the equation a bit. Spielman loved moving up and down the draft. There are a lot of teams behind us who could use a QB, 9 might be a sweet spot for a team to move up for Lance.

Or could be a spot for us to consider a QB. Nothing would shock me. 

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Or could be a spot for us to consider a QB. Nothing would shock me. 

I know this isn’t the most logical of opinions, but I’m a firm believer in moving up for a QB you have expectations of becoming your starter. I think there’s a powerful message sent not just to the player, but through your entire org that THIS is the guy you couldn’t risk falling to your pick, and our future will be bright with him under centre. How committed would you be to a guy who you *hoped* would be available at pick 42, but if he’s not, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯? 

For that reason, I’m not a fan of Lance at 1.9. Even if I knew he’d make it to our pick, I’d give something to CAR for 1.8. If I wanted Lance at all. Which, meh. 

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I mean to be fair, Antonio Brown in his prime wasn't exactly the biggest guy either but still made a lot of incredible plays. I don't know that Brown is the most apt comparison, and I think Jamarr Chase is better than Devonta, but he can certainly be a good pro with his physique.

This is one of those situations where it’d be easy to overthink, but come on, take the kid who caught 34 passes for 529 yards and 8 TD’s in 2.5 games vs top 10 teams to finish the season. His build is very similar to Robby Anderson or Will Fuller.

14 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I too think Smith can be a good pro.  My post was more along the lines of....would you take him top 10, hell top 5?  There are a ton of draftniks that have Smith as a top 5 prospect in this draft.

There is evidence that undersized players can be successful at WR, obviously.  But a top 5-10 pick is a belief that Smith is going to have All Pro potential.

If I were a GM I don’t know that I could make that jump on a player who at best is probably 6 foot 180 pounds with an incredibly slender build. 

17 hours ago, germ-x said:

I too think Smith can be a good pro.  My post was more along the lines of....would you take him top 10, hell top 5?  There are a ton of draftniks that have Smith as a top 5 prospect in this draft.

There is evidence that undersized players can be successful at WR, obviously.  But a top 5-10 pick is a belief that Smith is going to have All Pro potential.

If I were a GM I don’t know that I could make that jump on a player who at best is probably 6 foot 180 pounds with an incredibly slender build. 

Depends on the team. I would take him in a heartbeat. I think it's one of those picks you don't overthink and just make. I do, however, think Jamarr Chase is a better prospect.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:26 PM, broncosfan_101 said:

Every evaluator I’ve seen in the last few days has him top 5. A bunch have him mocked to MIA at 1.3. He’s going before our pick.

I’m no expert but fully expect both Smith and Chase to drop past where they’ve been mocked. WR valuation is out of whack w/ the 2020 class and so much value available via FA

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Too bad, maybe next year

I like Kendrick, too. Probably as a late-1st guy, which would’ve been no man’s land for us.

I’ve watched most of Georgia’s tape vs. Alabama and Tennessee, and Tyson Campbell got burned a few times, but holy cow his DC left him on an island constantly. Also, a very good tackler, which Vic obviously values. He’d be a good get in the 2nd, I think.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 10:20 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah I don’t think it’s a lock at all. The production is great but he’s not the kind of receiver you see go top 10.

Agreed.  Was listening to Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks discussing it and I tend to agree with them.  Basically it boiled down to the fact that it’s better value taking a WR in the 2nd than it is to take Smith in the top 10.  

They actually went as far as to argue it really isn’t worth taking a WR round 1 period with the amount of high quality WRs entering the draft every year.  Looking at the past 3 drafts, they definitely have a point.