2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

8 hours ago, germ-x said:

Agreed.  Was listening to Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks discussing it and I tend to agree with them.  Basically it boiled down to the fact that it’s better value taking a WR in the 2nd than it is to take Smith in the top 10.  

They actually went as far as to argue it really isn’t worth taking a WR round 1 period with the amount of high quality WRs entering the draft every year.  Looking at the past 3 drafts, they definitely have a point.

This is just so revisionist. Before last year, when was the last time there was a WR prospect that anyone would’ve been excited about taking in the top 10? There was Mike Williams and maybe Corey Davis in 2017, before that was Amari Cooper and maybe Kevin White in 2015, but the high end talent hasn’t been at a high level and that position in a while. Now last year and this, there’s real top tier guys available. It’s okay to be excited about them. 

54 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

This is just so revisionist. Before last year, when was the last time there was a WR prospect that anyone would’ve been excited about taking in the top 10? There was Mike Williams and maybe Corey Davis in 2017, before that was Amari Cooper and maybe Kevin White in 2015, but the high end talent hasn’t been at a high level and that position in a while. Now last year and this, there’s real top tier guys available. It’s okay to be excited about them. 

Never said it wasn’t okay to be excited about it.  Just pointing out that their argument has merit.

20 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I thought there was a significant drop off to wrs in the second round last year outside of Higgins.

I expected more from Shenault especially with garbage time and stuff. Plus the injury concerns. 

1. There were 13 WR’s taken in the first 60 picks LOL how many good ones are you expecting in one draft??

2. You’re surprised he didn’t catch more balls from Gardner Minshew and Mike Glennon? Alright. He was only 100 yards behind DJ Chark for the team lead. 

56 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

1. There were 13 WR’s taken in the first 60 picks LOL how many good ones are you expecting in one draft??

2. You’re surprised he didn’t catch more balls from Gardner Minshew and Mike Glennon? Alright. He was only 100 yards behind DJ Chark for the team lead. 

That’s part of the point I was making based off of what Jeremiah and Brooks said.  NFL drafts are becoming saturated with WR talent, which makes total sense with how pass happy the game is becoming.  The argument is about value.  Not about how much someone likes a player and what not, but about value.  

Revisionist or not (and part of how you grow is looking at previous history) arguably the 2 most gifted WR talents in last years draft (Claypool/Mims) went 49th and 59th.  Both are absolutely ridiculous athletes with college production backing them up.

I am not saying it’s an end all be all, but I think it’s 100% worth evaluating and worth the conversation.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, germ-x said:

That’s part of the point I was making based off of what Jeremiah and Brooks said.  NFL drafts are becoming saturated with WR talent, which makes total sense with how pass happy the game is becoming.  The argument is about value.  Not about how much someone likes a player and what not, but about value.  

Revisionist or not (and part of how you grow is looking at previous history) arguably the 2 most gifted WR talents in last years draft (Claypool/Mims) went 49th and 59th.  Both are absolutely ridiculous athletes with college production backing them up.

I am not saying it’s an end all be all, but I think it’s 100% worth evaluating and worth the conversation.   

Right, but what I’m saying is, this is being based off of ONE draft. Think about it, you’re gonna pass on Smith or Chase at the top because *last year* there were 13 good WR’s available? That’s not the case this year, and hasn’t been the case in any other draft I’ve seen.

Each draft stands alone. Some years you’re gonna have a bunch of WR’s, and some years the pool will look like the Eagles depth chart. There are no sweeping conclusions to be made. 

15 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Right, but what I’m saying is, this is being based off of ONE draft. Think about it, you’re gonna pass on Smith or Chase at the top because *last year* there were 13 good WR’s available? That’s not the case this year, and hasn’t been the case in any other draft I’ve seen.

Each draft stands alone. Some years you’re gonna have a bunch of WR’s, and some years the pool will look like the Eagles depth chart. There are no sweeping conclusions to be made. 

We’re going on 3 straight years of strong/deep WR prospects and 2022 looks like it will be another and this makes total sense with college and the NFL becoming more and more pass heavy.

Even with the 2021 draft standing alone when looking at it from a value perspective in the top 10 is it worth taking a WR when you’ll likely have multiple WRs like Bateman, Moore x2, Marshall, Olave, St. Brown, Toney available in the 2nd round?

I think from a value perspective an argument can be made that it isn’t worth it.  Especially for a player that physically is probably average at best.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

We’re going on 3 straight years of strong/deep WR prospects and 2022 looks like it will be another and this makes total sense with college and the NFL becoming more and more pass heavy.

Even with the 2021 draft standing alone when looking at it from a value perspective in the top 10 is it worth taking a WR when you’ll likely have multiple WRs like Bateman, Moore x2, Marshall, Olave, St. Brown, Toney available in the 2nd round?

I think from a value perspective an argument can be made that it isn’t worth it.  Especially for a player that physically is probably average at best.

2019 was far from a strong WR draft. The depth was fine, the top end talent was poor. 

I’ve got Bateman top 25 for sure, I’m a big fan. So if we compare 2nd-round WR’s between this year and last, that’s Toney, St. Brown, Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore (even though I think he’s taken in the late first), and Marshall vs. Higgins, Pittman, Hamler, Shenault, Claypool, and Mims. The difference in talent between those groups is remarkable. We’re not gonna see a WR class like last year for a while. That second tier of talent is why  Jeudy and Lamb fell out of the top 12 (along with the crazy top tier OT talent available), when talent level said they shouldn’t have. I don’t think teams are passing on Devonta or Ja’Marr because Amon-Ra St. Brown and Elijah Moore will be available.

4 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

2019 was far from a strong WR draft. The depth was fine, the top end talent was poor. 

I’ve got Bateman top 25 for sure, I’m a big fan. So if we compare 2nd-round WR’s between this year and last, that’s Toney, St. Brown, Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore (even though I think he’s taken in the late first), and Marshall vs. Higgins, Pittman, Hamler, Shenault, Claypool, and Mims. The difference in talent between those groups is remarkable. We’re not gonna see a WR class like last year for a while. That second tier of talent is why  Jeudy and Lamb fell out of the top 12 (along with the crazy top tier OT talent available), when talent level said they shouldn’t have. I don’t think teams are passing on Devonta or Ja’Marr because Amon-Ra St. Brown and Elijah Moore will be available.

I think this is a great example of how NFL teams are starting to devalue the position.  The last 3 drafts have had Ridley, Moore, Metcalf, McLaurin, Brown, Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb, Jefferson, Aiyuk, Samuel, Claypool, Mims, Higgins, Pittman, Hollywood, Harry, Sutton, Hardman, Kirk, Miller, Chark, Shenault, Hamler.  

These drafts have been loaded at WR for 3 years. 

The earliest one has been drafted at 12th overall.  Now Davonta Smith, who I think is arguably the least talent player of the above names is worth a top 5 pick?

15 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Anyone know of any qbs post round one that are worth digging into? 

I feel like Paton is more likely to trade down than up and wanna know the guys that will drop later.

Kyle Trask? That's about it. I don't think Denver is going to dilly dally and try and grab a QB that drops or whatever. It's boom or bust (IMO). You can maybe look at Trey Lance, I think there's a chance he falls some.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Kyle Trask? That's about it. I don't think Denver is going to dilly dally and try and grab a QB that drops or whatever. It's boom or bust (IMO). You can maybe look at Trey Lance, I think there's a chance he falls some.

I saw someone from Wake Forest any thoughts on him?

14 hours ago, germ-x said:

I think this is a great example of how NFL teams are starting to devalue the position.  The last 3 drafts have had Ridley, Moore, Metcalf, McLaurin, Brown, Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb, Jefferson, Aiyuk, Samuel, Claypool, Mims, Higgins, Pittman, Hollywood, Harry, Sutton, Hardman, Kirk, Miller, Chark, Shenault, Hamler.  

These drafts have been loaded at WR for 3 years. 

The earliest one has been drafted at 12th overall.  Now Davonta Smith, who I think is arguably the least talent player of the above names is worth a top 5 pick?

Do you really think Smith is the least talented out of that entire group?  

I'm seeing scouting reports talking about 4 of the top 8 picks will be QB's.  

And, Daniel Jeremiah is rated as OT #1 by Daniel Jermiah and a few others.  Denver could possibly land a top 3 positional talent other than QB if the cards fall that way. 

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I saw someone from Wake Forest any thoughts on him?

Jamie Newman, xfered to Georgia but sat this year. He's talented but a day 2 guy. If we don't go QB in round 1, I'd rather not look in that direction until round 5+. Pretty exhausted going the late first/second round QB route and those guys rarely pan out. If you're not grabbing your guy at 1.9 (or trading up) then I wouldn't spend a premium pick on anyone else.

• Like 1