2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

55 minutes ago, IronJ said:

Do you really think Smith is the least talented out of that entire group?  

I think it could be argued.  Alabama has him listed at 6’1” 175 pounds and typically team sites are generous when it comes to height and weight.  He’s also not projected to blaze in the 40 and I’ve read the expectation is he’s a low 4.5 high 4.4 guy.  From a physical standpoint he’s near the bottom of the players I listed.

Now, is he a better football player than some of the names on that list?  Yes, but when talking about a player as a potential top 5-10 pick, especially top 5, those players typically are physically checking off a lot of boxes of an elite player.  Smith doesn’t do that.

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

I think it could be argued.  Alabama has him listed at 6’1” 175 pounds and typically team sites are generous when it comes to height and weight.  He’s also not projected to blaze in the 40 and I’ve read the expectation is he’s a low 4.5 high 4.4 guy.  From a physical standpoint he’s near the bottom of the players I listed.

Now, is he a better football player than some of the names on that list?  Yes, but when talking about a player as a potential top 5-10 pick, especially top 5, those players typically are physically checking off a lot of boxes of an elite player.  Smith doesn’t do that.

Least talented of that bunch, good lord you’ve lost the plot. Moving on

Matt Miller has joined Daniel Jeremiah in the ‘Slater > Sewell’ camp. This is very interesting. I loved his Ohio State tape, too, but apparently the real draftniks don’t have the same concerns about his size as I do. Or maybe he’ll measure a little better than I was led to believe. Either way, sounds like he’ll either be another top option at a position of need at 1.9, or he’ll go before us and push someone else we like down. 

35 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Matt Miller has joined Daniel Jeremiah in the ‘Slater > Sewell’ camp. This is very interesting. I loved his Ohio State tape, too, but apparently the real draftniks don’t have the same concerns about his size as I do. Or maybe he’ll measure a little better than I was led to believe. Either way, sounds like he’ll either be another top option at a position of need at 1.9, or he’ll go before us and push someone else we like down. 

I'm just now starting to browse some of the college OL and at a quick glance the depth at OT is pretty nuts. There's probably 20 that will make NFL rosters this year with maybe half as starters. 

Hopefully we finally lay to rest our issues at RT, one way or another. Trade James and Wilkinson, draft and develop a RT to learn behind Dotson would be my prefered method. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Clearly taken out of context.  You’re better than that.

18 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Clearly taken out of context.  You’re better than that.

FWIW - least physically gifted out that bunch could certainly be argued.   Not in actual football skills.  Which I took that to be your  original point.  

Either way both your points have been made.   I definitely understood the points on both sides - I think history will show 2020 AND 2021 will go down as some of the deepest elite-level  WR classes ever.   Like 2014 was.    Which makes it difficult to project beyond.  

Edited by Broncofan

Interestingly.  Not one person has said what makes DeVonta Smith a top 5-10 draft pick.  Not one.

I like DeVonta Smith.  I still haven’t watched a ton of players, but he’s going to be one of my favorite players in the draft.  I love workers and toughness and that’s DeVonta Smith. 

I don’t think he’s a top 5-10 pick though and have provided evidence as to why I think so. As I stated he’s not just undersized, he’s severely undersized.  He’s not going to blaze a 40 so there are questions about his big play potential.  The only + physical trait I see is his suddenness.  

I don’t think DeVonta Smith is a player that can dominate anywhere like a Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones/AJ Green and that’s the type of WR I personally would be selecting that high.  I think Smith in the right situation could be an all pro.  In the wrong one (which is why I would not take him top 5-10) is average or a complete bust.  

Maybe people are seeing something I’m not.  Thus far the best I’ve gotten is, you’re overthinking it and I think I’ve presented a damn good argument.

Edited by germ-x

And I think whenever someone disagrees on a player it’s immediately assumed that that person thinks the player sucks.  I don’t think Smith sucks.  From what I’ve seen he seems like more of a 20-50 type prospect.  While he lacks the physical tools he’s just a damn good football player.  I question whether he’s a fit for everyone and whether he’s a fit as an outright #1 especially if he goes to a bad team where he is the #1 weapon.  

32 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Interestingly.  Not one person has said what makes DeVonta Smith a top 5-10 draft pick.  Not one.

I like DeVonta Smith.  I still haven’t watched a ton of players, but he’s going to be one of my favorite players in the draft.  I love workers and toughness and that’s DeVonta Smith. 

I don’t think he’s a top 5-10 pick though and have provided evidence as to why I think so. As I stated he’s not just undersized, he’s severely undersized.  He’s not going to blaze a 40 so there are questions about his big play potential.  The only + physical trait I see is his suddenness.  

I don’t think DeVonta Smith is a player that can dominate anywhere like a Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones/AJ Green and that’s the type of WR I personally would be selecting that high.  I think Smith in the right situation could be an all pro.  In the wrong one (which is why I would not take him top 5-10) is average or a complete bust.  

Maybe people are seeing something I’m not.  Thus far the best I’ve gotten is, you’re overthinking it and I think I’ve presented a damn good argument.

What's he more of a Ridley?

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the better Alabama WR is the second off the board again this year. Waddle is the biggest freak of that entire group. 

Recency bias says Waddle is almost certainly going to be taken later, wouldn't surprise me if he fell outside the top 5.    Especially since the Combine isn't happening.    Waddle's 2019 film is eye-popping.   There's only 1 Tyreek Hill, but Waddle's 2019 film comes as close to Hill as anyone as I've seen.

EDIT:  With Olave returning, and Justyn Ross more likely to return, I'll revise that, so the risk is more that he falls out of top 3 WR (Smith, Chase & ?).

Edited by Broncofan

11 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the better Alabama WR is the second off the board again this year. Waddle is the biggest freak of that entire group. 

Don’t say that.  Devonta Smith is the second coming of Randy Moss, they both are skinny with lean frames. 

Edited by germ-x

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

Don’t say that.  Devonta Smith is the second coming of Randy Moss, they both were skinny with lean frames. 

Now, that's a comparison you absolutely cannot make unless you're being sarcastic.  I take it you are.