2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

21 hours ago, germ-x said:

I think it could be argued.  Alabama has him listed at 6’1” 175 pounds and typically team sites are generous when it comes to height and weight.  He’s also not projected to blaze in the 40 and I’ve read the expectation is he’s a low 4.5 high 4.4 guy.  From a physical standpoint he’s near the bottom of the players I listed.

Now, is he a better football player than some of the names on that list?  Yes, but when talking about a player as a potential top 5-10 pick, especially top 5, those players typically are physically checking off a lot of boxes of an elite player.  Smith doesn’t do that.

I understand everyone wants to see Julio Jones type testing numbers BUT.  Smith looks slight but when it comes down to getting open and making plays the guy just gets it done.  Remember back when it was said Justin Jefferson was just a slot guy, he couldn't play on the outside?  He ended up setting records this past year.  The WR position is just as much about route running and making adjustments on the fly as it is measureables and Smith is the best at both of those.  Is he a top 5 pick, I wouldn't go that high but if I NEED a WR and I'm picking top 15 I wouldn't hesitate to take the kid.  

12 hours ago, germ-x said:

Interestingly.  Not one person has said what makes DeVonta Smith a top 5-10 draft pick.  Not one.

I like DeVonta Smith.  I still haven’t watched a ton of players, but he’s going to be one of my favorite players in the draft.  I love workers and toughness and that’s DeVonta Smith. 

I don’t think he’s a top 5-10 pick though and have provided evidence as to why I think so. As I stated he’s not just undersized, he’s severely undersized.  He’s not going to blaze a 40 so there are questions about his big play potential.  The only + physical trait I see is his suddenness.  

I don’t think DeVonta Smith is a player that can dominate anywhere like a Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones/AJ Green and that’s the type of WR I personally would be selecting that high.  I think Smith in the right situation could be an all pro.  In the wrong one (which is why I would not take him top 5-10) is average or a complete bust.  

Maybe people are seeing something I’m not.  Thus far the best I’ve gotten is, you’re overthinking it and I think I’ve presented a damn good argument.

While he doesn't have the otherworldly athletic traits of a Julio Jones or Megatron, he's a plus athlete with the only knock being his slight frame. The main concerns with that are typically a) will his body hold up over a full season (he hasn't shown a propensity for injuries with a high workload in college so I'm not overly concerned) and b) can he beat press man? Hard to say as there isn't the largest sample size, college corners aren't typically asked to do it, but in 2019 against probably the most talented CB in the country (Derek Stingley) he took him to task. 

He's but give but plays much bigger than you would think. Ceedee last year wasn't much bigger and I wouldn't have had any qualms with a team taking him top ten. I understand if teams like chase, waddle or even Pitts more but all of those guys are blue chip prospects in my book. Is he worth a top 5-10 pick? Definitely. Could he fall outside? Possibly, but I wouldn't bank on it

Edited by rcpbawler

4 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

While he doesn't have the otherworldly athletic traits of a Julio Jones or Megatron, he's a plus athlete with the only knock being his slight frame. The main concerns with that are typically a) will his body hold up over a full season (he hasn't shown a propensity for injuries with a high workload in college so I'm not overly concerned) and b) can he beat press man? Hard to say as there isn't the largest sample size, college corners aren't typically asked to do it, but in 2019 against probably the most talented CB in the country (Derek Stingley) he took him to task. 

He's but give but plays much bigger than you would think. Ceedee last year wasn't much bigger and I wouldn't have had any qualms with a team taking him top ten. I understand if teams like chase, waddle or even Pitts more but all of those guys are blue chip prospects in my book. Is he worth a top 5-10 pick? Definitely. Could he fall outside? Possibly, but I wouldn't bank on it

I would also say, from watching him, he's got above average deep speed, is definitely a plus route-runner (not Jeudy level, but still excellent), has excellent body control, short area quickness, and hands. Tough, willing blocker, though obviously his size can get him washed out. But he wouldn't have been on the field at Bama if he wasn't willing. And obviously his production speaks for itself.

I get the reasons why there's skepticism, and I will continue to say I like Chase slightly better as a prospect, but Smith is going to be a very good, Pro-Bowl, All-Pro caliber WR if he's healthy.

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to spending a day-2 pick on an OT who can kick inside if need be. We can’t rely on Ja’Wuan James in the long run so he could be the future starter at RT and compete with Muti to backup at Guard. 

Agreed. This is a good point as I’ve been beginning to consider which positions we’d de-prioritize on our BPA board. I would agree that a swing T (or eventual RT replacement) is a priority but think IOL is a youthful strength of this team right now w/ the youth of Risner, Cush, and Muti (and experience of Glasgow). WR, TE, & IOL are the only positional groups I’d think twice on before making a BPA selection. 

18 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Saw Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com post his mock and noticed OT Penei Sewell slip to #10 in the draft. Do you let him pass us by, he's an All-Pro for the next decade IMO ??

No way. You take him and run. Start him right away at RT, make James the swing tackle for a year before we can move on from him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

No way. You take him and run. Start him right away at RT, make James the swing tackle for a year before we can move on from him. 

Generational ceiling talent.  Could easily be argued as 2nd best player overall.  Paton should be sprinting to podium (well if it’s on site lol). 

I have serious doubts he lasts behind the top 5.   Vegas had his over under at 3.5 before last time I looked. 

Jeremiah also had Lance going ahead of Fields.   Very click-baity feel to that list.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Saw Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com post his mock and noticed OT Penei Sewell slip to #10 in the draft. Do you let him pass us by, he's an All-Pro for the next decade IMO ??

It's about as deep an OT class as I've ever seen. 15-20 of them will have NFL careers. I think that'd weaken the value at the top end a bit.

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The idea of just solidifying this OL and getting the future RT at 9 is very tempting. But does it make more sense than taking a high ceiling defensive talent when you’re going to need to restock almost every position on that side of the ball? 

Usually I'd be the guy pounding the table for the OT, but not this year. That's a spot we can fill in the 2nd/3rd. There's quite a few good ones this year.

I'd much rather have a defensive impact player at basically any position. 

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The idea of just solidifying this OL and getting the future RT at 9 is very tempting. But does it make more sense than taking a high ceiling defensive talent when you’re going to need to restock almost every position on that side of the ball? 

To be clear at 1.9 T is not a good value - unless Sewell is there.   I don’t expect he will be, though.   His ceiling / floor combo is that good.  

That’s an incredibly wide outcome Jeremiah is projecting - there’s a decent argument he’d go 1.2 if it wasn’t for QB need.  

Edited by Broncofan

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be clear at 1.9 T is not a good value - unless Sewell is there.   I don’t expect he will be, though.   His ceiling / floor combo is that good.  

That’s an incredibly wide outcome Jeremiah is projecting - there’s a decent argument he’d go 1.2 if it wasn’t for QB need.  

I really don't see him passing CINN but if he's there, and you could get a top 3-5 talent at #9 I'd do it. 

In a vacuum where all players are guaranteed to hit, sure we would be better off going at a different position like corner or D-line (out two biggest needs) or even linebacker. That's not the case though. Any team is more likely to draft a player that doesn't make a single pro bowl in their careers just by sheer odds. You take the best available talent that you think can reach their potential almost regardless of position. Especially at a position with so few great players (and the ones that are great, get paid much higher as well.) It's why we see QBs "over-drafted" relative to their talent. Sewell is as close to a guarantee there is in this draft and is at one of those rarity positions everyone needs. 

I view Ja'Marr Chase as one of those other elite talents and is a much more interesting question given our talent and recent draft history there... If Chase is available at 9 what would you do (assuming Parsons isn't available either)? No doubt he is a better prospect (BPA) than any of the corners. Sutton is coming off an injury and is a FA next year, Jeudy so far hasn't established capable of being a #1 (granted it was his rookie year). Hamler seems to be a nice player but debatable if he can be a consistent #2. Personally I find it hard to make that pick and would have to look elsewhere... As tough as that is... Unless you can pry a 1st for Sutton from someone.