2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

If Sewell falls to 1.9 then you take him, unless one of the top 3 QBs are there imo. Moot point as he's gone well before that barring a gas mask situation a la Tunsil or he's a closet nazi or something. This is usually when the mock draft guys throw some stuff at the wall to see if it sticks so it's not unusual to see things like Fields falling to 15 or Sewell suddenly NOT being the no. 1 tackle. 

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

In a vacuum where all players are guaranteed to hit, sure we would be better off going at a different position like corner or D-line (out two biggest needs) or even linebacker. That's not the case though. Any team is more likely to draft a player that doesn't make a single pro bowl in their careers just by sheer odds. You take the best available talent that you think can reach their potential almost regardless of position. Especially at a position with so few great players (and the ones that are great, get paid much higher as well.) It's why we see QBs "over-drafted" relative to their talent. Sewell is as close to a guarantee there is in this draft and is at one of those rarity positions everyone needs. 

I view Ja'Marr Chase as one of those other elite talents and is a much more interesting question given our talent and recent draft history there... If Chase is available at 9 what would you do (assuming Parsons isn't available either)? No doubt he is a better prospect (BPA) than any of the corners. Sutton is coming off an injury and is a FA next year, Jeudy so far hasn't established capable of being a #1 (granted it was his rookie year). Hamler seems to be a nice player but debatable if he can be a consistent #2. Personally I find it hard to make that pick and would have to look elsewhere... As tough as that is... Unless you can pry a 1st for Sutton from someone. 

It's almost a shame we have such a glut of talent on the offensive side of the ball because I truly feel that Chase/Smith/Waddle/Pitts are all blue chip, elite prospects and guys that we'll pretty much have to pass over despite probably being BPA. 

• Like 1

Devonta Smith declined to be weighed at the Senior Bowl.  With no Combine, I expect his Pro Day will stand instead for his measurables.  You don't really need to see his speed scores to know what he can do on the field - but his size does matter for predicting longevity/durability.   FWIW reports said he measured 6'0 and 170 last year.

It's not crazy that Chase jumps him on Draft Day.   Doesn't affect us directly but obviously could change the top 10 Big Board.  Going to be an interesting Rd1.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I never thought at any point that Smith would go ahead of Chase. I think Chase is WR1 by a country mile.

I'm of the same mind - but the post-Heisman hype has been insane.  Ppl are insisting going 1.3 to MIA is the smartest move - that's insane IMO.    I think Smith will succeed in the NFL - but I also don't believe he's top 10 material.   Frankly, if Waddle did go ahead of him (I had Justyn Ross pre-neck injury as well) - I'd be fine with it too.   

On 1/26/2021 at 12:45 PM, Broncofan said:

Devonta Smith declined to be weighed at the Senior Bowl.  With no Combine, I expect his Pro Day will stand instead for his measurables.  You don't really need to see his speed scores to know what he can do on the field - but his size does matter for predicting longevity/durability.   FWIW reports said he measured 6'0 and 170 last year.

It's not crazy that Chase jumps him on Draft Day.   Doesn't affect us directly but obviously could change the top 10 Big Board.  Going to be an interesting Rd1.

Memories of Ted Gregory are coming to mind! Something tells me the scales  at Bama will read slightly different than when he gets to his pro team

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Memories of Ted Gregory are coming to mind! Something tells me the scales  at Bama will read slightly different than when he gets to his pro team

Yup - I think it's a mistake for Smith to try and add a ton of weight.   Jalen Reagor did that and ran an unimpressive 40 time (for him, he was apparently timed sub 4.3 and his top speed and game film in college suggested it was legit).   More importantly, he's looked nothing like his TCU explosive self on the field since adding the weight.

Given that Jamarr Chase was 3 years younger when he put up his insane 2019 season, I think he's going ahead of Smith regardless - but add in that's he 1 inch taller and likely 30 lbs heavier, and will test out similarly...I have a hard time arguing Smith should go ahead.   I think both will be extremely successful, but 3 years age difference at elite age breakout is a massive gap, let alone the size difference. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

I have read some thought that in season (players typically play lighter than initial weigh going through the rigor of an NFL season) that Smith plays at 165 pounds max.  Looking at him, I would tend to agree with this.

The expectations many are putting on Smith, at that size, are unprecedented.  

• 2 weeks later...

Watching all the pressure on Mahomes in the SB (yes, know his OL was hurting) but I wouldn't mind seeing Daviyon Nixon in the 2nd round. Guy can rush the passer and is still solid vs the run.

Also like the size of CB Ifeatu Melifonwu but not sure if he fits waht Fangio does.

Thoughts ?

Edited by Cutler06
spelling

42 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Watching all the pressure on Mahomes in the SB (yes, know his OL was hurting) but I wouldn't mind seeing Daviyon Nixon in the 2nd round. Guy can rush the passer and is still solid vs the run.

Also like the size of CB Ifeatu Melifonwu but not sure if he fits waht Fangio does.

Thoughts ?

I'm all for pass rush that's why I'm out on corner top 10 trench play and dline play is as important to Superbowls as qb.

Perfect! That's a game that was won in the trenches as most are. Domination on both sides of the LOS, strong running game and great defense. Brady was Brady, masterful at executing the offense.

Anyway, that's how you dominate the Chiefs. Solid, ball control offense and smothering defense. That's how you build a team.

That's why we need to get Vic some talent on the D side. Watching White, that's why I'd consider trading up for Parsons.

Anyway, I do hope this ends the Watson talk. Trying to build an offense like the Chiefs won't beat them. You can't win a track meet with that team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Perfect! That's a game that was won in the trenches as most are. Domination on both sides of the LOS, strong running game and great defense. Brady was Brady, masterful at executing the offense.

Anyway, that's how you dominate the Chiefs. Solid, ball control offense and smothering defense. That's how you build a team.

That's why we need to get Vic some talent on the D side. Watching White, that's why I'd consider trading up for Parsons.

Anyway, I do hope this ends the Watson talk. Trying to build an offense like the Chiefs won't beat them. You can't win a track meet with that team. 

I mean... Their D-line is composed of JPP (FA) - Suh (FA) - Vea (1st rd pick) - Barrett (FA).

If anything, they invested much more in their linebackers and defensive backs. Linebackers are White (1st rd pick) - David (2nd rd pick). Corners are David (2nd rd pick) - Murphy (2nd rd) - Dean (3rd rd). Safeties are Whitehead (4th rd) and Winfield Jr (2nd). 

More so, its telling that this team missed the playoffs last year at 7-9, good for 3rd in their division, without Brady. 

Even if we give away the next 2 years of draft, Watson will be 27 and in his prime. By that time we can utilize an entire draft class and build a strong supporting cast. That is well worth it. Would you not give up the 2016 and 2017 season for a franchise QB the past 3 years+? How long have the Dolphins been trying to find their next franchise QB? how long did it take the Bills? Much much longer than the 2 years you are compromising draft picks of. In this league, you can't compete without a QB. An above average QB can get you close (Mayfield, Tannehill, Goff got to the divisional round) but none of them can compete for a superbowl on a regular basis. 2019 Divsional round had: Wilson, Rodgers, Cousins, Garrapolo, Tannehill, Jackson, Watson, Mahomes. If you want to try and draft a star qb, good luck. It's a shot in the dark. If you want to try and build a very strong support cast, those don't last long because you can't pay everyone to stick around. You have to invest your resources in a strategy that is sustainable and has the most impact. That's the QB position. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I mean... Their D-line is composed of JPP (FA) - Suh (FA) - Vea (1st rd pick) - Barrett (FA).

If anything, they invested much more in their linebackers and defensive backs. Linebackers are White (1st rd pick) - David (2nd rd pick). Corners are David (2nd rd pick) - Murphy (2nd rd) - Dean (3rd rd). Safeties are Whitehead (4th rd) and Winfield Jr (2nd). 

More so, its telling that this team missed the playoffs last year at 7-9, good for 3rd in their division, without Brady. 

Even if we give away the next 2 years of draft, Watson will be 27 and in his prime. By that time we can utilize an entire draft class and build a strong supporting cast. That is well worth it. Would you not give up the 2016 and 2017 season for a franchise QB the past 3 years+? How long have the Dolphins been trying to find their next franchise QB? how long did it take the Bills? Much much longer than the 2 years you are compromising draft picks of. In this league, you can't compete without a QB. An above average QB can get you close (Mayfield, Tannehill, Goff got to the divisional round) but none of them can compete for a superbowl on a regular basis. 2019 Divsional round had: Wilson, Rodgers, Cousins, Garrapolo, Tannehill, Jackson, Watson, Mahomes. If you want to try and draft a star qb, good luck. It's a shot in the dark. If you want to try and build a very strong support cast, those don't last long because you can't pay everyone to stick around. You have to invest your resources in a strategy that is sustainable and has the most impact. That's the QB position. 

There’s no doubt you can get to the SB a bunch of different ways.   

But to emphasize your take - I’ll also point out Brady cap hit this year was 13.6 percent at 27.5M.    He provided top 6-8 QB play at about top 10 contract rates.  ARod / Mahomes / Allen were the final 4 guys this year.   While Mahomes / JimmyG / Tannehill (who was 10th in DYAR & 5th in DVOA in 2019) / ARod in 2019 were the final 4 last year.     And I think we can all agree a better QB performance by JimmyG to just decent level in the 2H and they likely win that game (full credit to Mahomes though).  

All of which to say - there are many paths.   But the most direct path is to find top QB level play.   And it’s the path to sustained contention as well.    

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Even if we give away the next 2 years of draft, Watson will be 27 and in his prime. By that time we can utilize an entire draft class and build a strong supporting cast. That is well worth it. Would you not give up the 2016 and 2017 season for a franchise QB the past 3 years+? How long have the Dolphins been trying to find their next franchise QB? how long did it take the Bills? Much much longer than the 2 years you are compromising draft picks of. In this league, you can't compete without a QB. An above average QB can get you close (Mayfield, Tannehill, Goff got to the divisional round) but none of them can compete for a superbowl on a regular basis. 2019 Divsional round had: Wilson, Rodgers, Cousins, Garrapolo, Tannehill, Jackson, Watson, Mahomes. If you want to try and draft a star qb, good luck. It's a shot in the dark. If you want to try and build a very strong support cast, those don't last long because you can't pay everyone to stick around. You have to invest your resources in a strategy that is sustainable and has the most impact. That's the QB position

Idk how you watched that game and took away this thought lol the bucs are stacked their front 7 is amazing all those weapons if anyway it had me thinking the other way. If you switch Brady and Mahomes yesterday I still think it's a blowout Tampa maybe even worse tbh.

• Like 1