Jump to content

2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread


Recommended Posts

The next block Josey Jewell gets off will be his first. As a short zone cover guy, he’s fine, but needing to keep him closer to the LOS is tough since he frequently gets washed on interior runs. He plays the run like a safety in the box, but can’t cover in depth like one. I think that limits what we can do defensively. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am expecting this draft to be heavy defensively in the same way this past draft was offense-heavy. Elway needs to get younger on the defensive side of the ball, especially with the overreliance on FAs to carry the team. I am comfortable taking BPA at either CB, LB, DL with our first round pick. RT is a consideration depending on the player. Don't see us being bad enough to make QB a pick, and I think Lock is going to get one more season after this (with a full offseason, hopefully) to show what he can do. 

The next 4 games are going to be tough. I'm expecting to see us around 8-10 in the draft. I think there's definitely some solid CB talent we should be looking at if that's the case.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I am expecting this draft to be heavy defensively in the same way this past draft was offense-heavy. Elway needs to get younger on the defensive side of the ball, especially with the overreliance on FAs to carry the team. I am comfortable taking BPA at either CB, LB, DL with our first round pick. RT is a consideration depending on the player. Don't see us being bad enough to make QB a pick, and I think Lock is going to get one more season after this (with a full offseason, hopefully) to show what he can do. 

The next 4 games are going to be tough. I'm expecting to see us around 8-10 in the draft. I think there's definitely some solid CB talent we should be looking at if that's the case.

Since James is locked in for another year, I’ve been thinking about a guy like Leatherwood, who I think could play a fine guard in the NFL right now, but then kick out in 2022 when James is cut. But right now, the middle of the first round looks loaded with CB’s (Surtain, Wade, Farley) and DL (Wilson, Barmore). 
 

i just hope we don’t panic and grab one of the non-elite QB’s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Since James is locked in for another year, I’ve been thinking about a guy like Leatherwood, who I think could play a fine guard in the NFL right now, but then kick out in 2022 when James is cut. But right now, the middle of the first round looks loaded with CB’s (Surtain, Wade, Farley) and DL (Wilson, Barmore). 
 

i just hope we don’t panic and grab one of the non-elite QB’s. 

Barring an upset, it looks like Fields is a top 5 pick (and honestly, only Peney Sewell is a clear-cut 1.2 pick on talent alone).

I'd guess Trask & Lance are going to be the top 10 discussion.    I'd hope Lock shows enough the next 8 games we don't have to have it on our end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Barring an upset, it looks like Fields is a top 5 pick (and honestly, only Peney Sewell is a clear-cut 1.2 pick on talent alone).

I'd guess Trask & Lance are going to be the top 10 discussion.    I'd hope Lock shows enough the next 8 games we don't have to have it on our end. 

Trask to the Pats is my current thought. I don’t think they’d be interested in Lance, with how the Cam Newton Experience is going. But yeah, either Lock plays well enough to keep us out of Fields’ range, where I’d still like his potential as much as any of the QB’s available, or he completely combusts into Fields territory, and then you make that happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With how the coaching has done with the defense, I wouldn't mind finally finding an answer for RT (especially since Drew always scrambles right 😄) in the first round and then using basically all the other picks on defense. I imagine Vic would do great things with a 2nd or 3rd round defensive guy. They would probably have a lot more talent than our 2nd string guys now, even some of our 1st string. Any chance Mayfield would be available if we picked 12th or something?

Edited by Dbrog24
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

With how the coaching has done with the defense, I wouldn't mind finally finding an answer for RT (especially since Drew always scrambles right 😄) in the first round and then using basically all the other picks on defense. I imagine Vic would do great things with a 2nd or 3rd round defensive guy. They would probably have a lot more talent than our 2nd string guys now, even some of our 1st string. Any chance Mayfield would be available if we picked 12th or something?

 

39 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Also where do you guys think we would be drafting if we won only 3 more games this season (I think this is a real possibility)?

If we finish 6-10, I'd guess we're picking in the 10-15 range... There are a lot of awful teams this year.

 

At that spot, I don't really like many of the top tackle prospects (after Sewell, who will go top 3, the tackle class is very good but I think the value is in the mid-late first and second round at the moment, but it's very early in the process) and with us being tied to James and possibly resigning Dotson, I'm not a fan.

I'm looking at someone like Surtain or Farley at corner, and taking a long hard look at the top QB prospects. Lawrence and Fields will be long gone, but one of Lance and Wilson could fall and that's where it gets intriguing. This obviously hinges on how Lock plays the rest of the season but his lack of progress is worrying.

 

Barmore (dt, bama) and a few of the edge guys are also enticing but I prefer the above.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Also where do you guys think we would be drafting if we won only 3 more games this season (I think this is a real possibility)?

If we finish 6-10, that’d be in the 10-12 range. But I’m looking at the remaining schedule and thinking, where are the winnable games? Week 16 @ LAC is the best chance we’ll have at being a favourite,  but I wouldn’t count on it. What a ridiculous schedule this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

If we finish 6-10, that’d be in the 10-12 range. But I’m looking at the remaining schedule and thinking, where are the winnable games? Week 16 @ LAC is the best chance we’ll have at being a favourite,  but I wouldn’t count on it. What a ridiculous schedule this season.

You're not wrong. I was being generous in my estimation and had us winning 1 of the games against the Raiders, the remaining Chargers game, and either the Dolphins or the Panthers. I could also see a scenario where we literally lose out from here on and end 3-13. I don't actually think the schedule is that ridiculous considering 9 of our games should have been winable if we were decent. However, we are not decent, we have regressed despite adding more talent. Yes injuries play a part but even with those, we are more talented than many teams....our QB has truly sucked and coaching isn't great either

Edit: With that 3-13 option, we would definitely need to be drafting a 1st round QB

Edited by Dbrog24
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

You're not wrong. I was being generous in my estimation and had us winning 1 of the games against the Raiders, the remaining Chargers game, and either the Dolphins or the Panthers. I could also see a scenario where we literally lose out from here on and end 3-13. I don't actually think the schedule is that ridiculous considering 9 of our games should have been winable if we were decent. However, we are not decent, we have regressed despite adding more talent. Yes injuries play a part but even with those, we are more talented than many teams....our QB has truly sucked and coaching isn't great either

Edit: With that 3-13 option, we would definitely need to be drafting a 1st round QB

16-game strength of schedule is 2nd-worst, behind only the 0-9 Jets. The Texans are the only team whose schedule compares with ours. It’s a nightmare. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

16-game strength of schedule is 2nd-worst, behind only the 0-9 Jets. The Texans are the only team whose schedule compares with ours. It’s a nightmare. 

Damn didn't realize that. Probably won't help in the future that we have 3 other teams in our division that are either elite or becoming pretty great. Gonna be a tough decade right there

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

If we finish 6-10, that’d be in the 10-12 range. But I’m looking at the remaining schedule and thinking, where are the winnable games? Week 16 @ LAC is the best chance we’ll have at being a favourite,  but I wouldn’t count on it. What a ridiculous schedule this season.

It is a brutal schedule but most games (outside of the top 5-8 teams)  are at least somewhat winnable unless you’re just really bad, poorly coached or don’t try. Other teams will have injuries, down weeks, fluky turnovers etc.  So I could see a scenario where we win a couple close ones, maybe one eye-opening blowout win to over-react to like the Texans last year. With the rate of injuries though it does get harder and harder. This team fights hard but missing pieces at every level is too much to overcome. What is the strength of this team right now? Our safeties being great? Not a good sign. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: our 2H games, the thing that is sobering is that our roster is so thin at key positions.   We are 1 injury away from absolute disaster in talent drop-off at so many areas.   As in going from an average/mediocre guy to an absolute liability.   Imagine 1 more TE injury, 1 more WR injury to our top 3 guys, another D-line.....our depth is just shattered.    That holds for a lot of teams, but right now, we're the 3rd highest team in IR injuries salary-wise.  And while that's just a rough measure, it's very telling.

I have no concerns that the coaches / players giving it their all to try and win - but our roster is so talent-thin depth-wise even for average backup talent, not just talent-poor at key spots.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...