2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

Free agent signings lead me to think Micah Parson is on the list of possible draft choices for our #1 pick. While I love the talent, seems like a bit of a red-flag bearer. I'd still like Surtain/Farley option if Lance doesn't fall (hey, a guy can dream).  Paton will probably go BPA, we'll have to see how it falls.

4 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Free agent signings lead me to think Micah Parson is on the list of possible draft choices for our #1 pick. While I love the talent, seems like a bit of a red-flag bearer. I'd still like Surtain/Farley option if Lance doesn't fall (hey, a guy can dream).  Paton will probably go BPA, we'll have to see how it falls.

Parson intrigues me I think we have the leadership in AJ and Jewell and company too mentor him along with coache.

With Kareem gone, safety is squarely in the "need" category. Moehrig is, for my money, the best safety by a good amount. He's really good in coverage and solid against the run. Definitely more of a classic FS than SS but has some versatility. Probably goes in the 20s though so, barring a trade down, not likely.

I really like Jevon Holland too but he obviously hasn't played in a while, having sat out this year. A few other guys like Cisco, Ford, Grant, Lecounte as well. I think 2nd/3rd round is a pretty good spot to grab one of these guys.

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Just curious if any of you have a personal perspective on Zaven Collins.

One of my favorite players in the draft. If we trade down from 9 I would hope he's on our radar. Ton of scheme versatility, can rush the passer, even though he's bigger, he's still incredibly athletic. He and Parsons are the 3-down guys I think we sorely need. I rate Parsons slightly higher because I think he's just got more upside and fits the mold of what LBs in the NFL are these days, but Collins is very close behind.

I believe we also met with him (could be wrong) so I'd expect we're doing our due diligence there.

• Like 2

The more I watch of Mac Jones the more I like.  In terms of recents I think his arm talent/accuracy are comparable to Burrow, but he isn’t as athletic.  After Burrow, I think his skill set is a mix of Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, germ-x said:

The more I watch of Mac Jones the more I like.  In terms of recents I think his arm talent/accuracy are comparable to Burrow, but he isn’t as athletic.  After Burrow, I think his skill set is a mix of Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning.  

Phil Rivers is a very apt comp, in my opinion. I like that one. 

With the Darby signing, he definitely seems more like a #2 CB and maybe Callahan can be that #1, but I feel like this points to us getting one of those top CBs in this draft whether it be trading back or sticking where we are. I just don't see us trading up for a QB this year. To read the tealeaves with Broncos not willing to pay a vet QB to challenge Lock, I think we are just riding this out and probably finishing another mediocre year so that we can option A: Be the team that's willing to give up a season to stay in a good spot to get Watson or B: Sell the farm to move up in next year's draft where there will likely be normal offseason stuff to make a more informed decision. I'm not necessarily mad if this is the plan, but this season probably gonna be pretty boring.

10 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

With the Darby signing, he definitely seems more like a #2 CB and maybe Callahan can be that #1, but I feel like this points to us getting one of those top CBs in this draft whether it be trading back or sticking where we are. I just don't see us trading up for a QB this year. To read the tealeaves with Broncos not willing to pay a vet QB to challenge Lock, I think we are just riding this out and probably finishing another mediocre year so that we can option A: Be the team that's willing to give up a season to stay in a good spot to get Watson or B: Sell the farm to move up in next year's draft where there will likely be normal offseason stuff to make a more informed decision. I'm not necessarily mad if this is the plan, but this season probably gonna be pretty boring.

Man.  I’m just not that off on Ojemudia.  I may be wrong there, but another big signing or a 1st round pick relegates Ojemudia to #4 CB duty.  Great spot to be in with how important CB is (and Callahan and Darby’s injury history) but I don’t know that he’s bad enough that it’s like if we don’t have to play you we won’t.

I find this draft to be as hard as any in terms of legitimate numbers.  The combine, while dismissed as the “underwear olympics” at least puts everyone on an even playing field.

Literally every player even with the combine improves at their pro days and that’s with the combine setting somewhat of a precedent for the player.

Take the combine out and a guy like Ojulari running 4.63....based off past experience with combine times and pro day times, I think Ojulari is probably a high 4.6 low 4.7 player.  

9 hours ago, germ-x said:

Man.  I’m just not that off on Ojemudia.  I may be wrong there, but another big signing or a 1st round pick relegates Ojemudia to #4 CB duty.  Great spot to be in with how important CB is (and Callahan and Darby’s injury history) but I don’t know that he’s bad enough that it’s like if we don’t have to play you we won’t.

I mean, it was baptism by fire for him last year, and at times he held his own. I think he's probably a #3 CB going forward, but in the modern game you need 3 capable CBs. I don't trust Callahan to stay healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I mean, it was baptism by fire for him last year, and at times he held his own. I think he's probably a #3 CB going forward, but in the modern game you need 3 capable CBs. I don't trust Callahan to stay healthy.

I almost think you need to split them into outside corners and slot corners because it’s such a completely different role. If the season started today you’d have Ojemudia and Darby as the outside corners and Callahan in the slot with Essang Bassey as a backup slot corner but very little depth on the outside.

Ideally we go into the season with Darby starting on the outside and Callahan in the slot. Ojemudia and Bassey would provide the depth at outside and slot respectively. But that of course requires a new outside guy to be brought in, whether that be another veteran or the 9th overall pick.