2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

With MG3 gone next year as a UFA (and remember there's the spectre of the DUI suspension - charges dismissed on a technicality, it's a matter of record he was drunk and behind the wheel) - it almost certainly means Paton will draft a RB.   The question is how much capital will he invest.

I'd certainly back Javonte Williams at 2.8 - that's what it will take, though.  He's likely to be a top 40-50 pick - he won't be sliding to Rd3, being one of the top-tier RB's with draft helium (Etienne / Harris are the other 2).     

If it's that tier though - I'm ok with waiting until 4.9 or later.   At that range, guys that could be there that I'd be firmly behind - Trey Sermon, Kylin Hill, and of course, Jared Patterson.   If Chuba Hubbard falls that far, while his 2020 film is scary, the 2019 film is worth a shot.   And given the uncertainty of 2021 evaluation, there's probably several others.

The 2021 class doesn't have as much top-of-the-draft depth, but the flip side is that RB's beyond the top tier get devalued.   I would have been all over Cam Akers last year (although it would have cost 2.15, I would have been OK with it), but if we can't get 1 of the top 3 RB's because Paton doesn't want to invest that much into RB yet, then I'd rather wait until Day 3 and hit the value tier.  The tier right after the top 3 isn't worth reaching for with Day 2 picks, the gap isn't that significant to the value tier.

As for 2.8 - if we still have it - I know we need help on D - but outside of RB, the depth in the T class means we could have a plug-and-play RT there.   I could get behind that, especially if one of the T's is there who normally would get a top 30 grade falls due to the depth of the T class this year.   2020 & 2021 are outlier years in terms of high-end T depth, so I'm not against mining it - it's the last position where we don't have great options long-term.    If we drafted T, then we could trade Juwan James to a team that misses out on the T class this year, or needs help right away.    That's a big gain value-wise and long-term.

If Calvin Anderson works out, it's a good problem to have.     Basically, for 2.8, if there's a difference-making top 3 RB or RT there, I won't object.   Looking at the Big Board, it's striking to me how high the top 3 RB's and the top 6-7 T's rate, which is why I'm raising 2.8 for those 2 positions - the likelihood that they are Big Board BPA's is pretty high IMO.   Usually the BPA vs. need issue goes away after the top 50+ guys are gone (the gaps aren't that big to argue BPA evaluation), but for 2.8 I can see those 2 positions having guys left over who are head/shoulders over the remaining players (WR too).

Guess we'll see how Rd2 shakes out.   I think Day 2 will have the most volatility we'll ever see for a while, given how much more of a black box Draft evaluation is this year for teams vs. other years.

Edited by Broncofan

26 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I almost think you need to split them into outside corners and slot corners because it’s such a completely different role. If the season started today you’d have Ojemudia and Darby as the outside corners and Callahan in the slot with Essang Bassey as a backup slot corner but very little depth on the outside.

Ideally we go into the season with Darby starting on the outside and Callahan in the slot. Ojemudia and Bassey would provide the depth at outside and slot respectively. But that of course requires a new outside guy to be brought in, whether that be another veteran or the 9th overall pick. 

Couldn't agree more with everything you've said.

FWIW, Allbright's sticking to his guns that Paton will look to move back Round 1.  If we get Fuller, and if there's insane interest to move up for say Mac Jones (I assume the top 4 QB's are long gone by 1.6 or 1.7) then I'm totally behind this.   The best guys at ILB and EDGE fit incredibly well in the 20-25 range for overall BPA (Collins at ILB and the EDGE's start around there), and that would net us a 2022 1st in a seller-friendly market.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW, Allbright's sticking to his guns that Paton will look to move back Round 1.  If we get Fuller, and if there's insane interest to move up for say Mac Jones (I assume the top 4 QB's are long gone by 1.6 or 1.7) then I'm totally behind this.   The best guys at ILB and EDGE fit incredibly well in the 20-25 range for overall BPA (Collins at ILB and the EDGE's start around there), and that would net us a 2022 1st in a seller-friendly market.

I’ve not been too clued up on the draft class this year because I’ve been busy with a few other things but SS is now jumping out to me as an immediate need and there’s not a huge amount of veterans out there that we could bring in. To be honest, I don’t love the move of cutting Kareem Jackson.

Anthony Harris could be the best guy out there, plus he had a down year so he could be a candidate for a prove-it deal, and has a relationship with Paton. But with Darby and likely Fuller coming in and Simmons about to get a huge deal, I’m not sure we want to spend that much money on the secondary. 

Will Parks could be brought back, but he’s really a 3rd safety/nickel LB. I’m not sure he will ever make the leap to be a full time player. 

I think SS is likely to be a major need on draft day (compared with DE, EDGE, ILB where they’d be nice to get but we can get by with who we’ve got).

Are there any good prospects?

51 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I’ve not been too clued up on the draft class this year because I’ve been busy with a few other things but SS is now jumping out to me as an immediate need and there’s not a huge amount of veterans out there that we could bring in. To be honest, I don’t love the move of cutting Kareem Jackson.

Anthony Harris could be the best guy out there, plus he had a down year so he could be a candidate for a prove-it deal, and has a relationship with Paton. But with Darby and likely Fuller coming in and Simmons about to get a huge deal, I’m not sure we want to spend that much money on the secondary. 

Will Parks could be brought back, but he’s really a 3rd safety/nickel LB. I’m not sure he will ever make the leap to be a full time player. 

I think SS is likely to be a major need on draft day (compared with DE, EDGE, ILB where they’d be nice to get but we can get by with who we’ve got).

Are there any good prospects?

None that I’d spend a Rd1 pick on over Collins.    I think SS might get addressed with your plan A - just cheaper.  

That would allow Paton to go the Day 2-3 route with a developmental guy.   

If we land Fuller Paton should generate as much PR noise in getting a QB at 1.9 to max out the value in trading back.   Chi/NO range would net us a 2022 1st at the least.   Then we address BPA at EDGE / ILB (Collins) / T (James successor).    Win win win.   

• Like 1

The interest in the top 4 QB makes sense.   Adding Mac Jones to put interest also makes sense if you are sold (I’m not for what we need but maybe Paton is)...or creating Max value in a trade back scenario.   In either scenario Paton saying all the right things.  

Edited by Broncofan

30 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The interest in the top 4 QB makes sense.   Adding Mac Jones to put interest list makes sense if you are sold (In not for what we need but maybe Paton is)...or creating Max value in a trade back scenario.   Ok either scenario Paton saying all the right things.  

I’m thinking he’s trying to maximize trade back value if one of fields/lance drops. I think you could get at least a 2022 first and 2-3 twos to trade back with WFT if they’re targeting a QB. That could set us up to be movers in next years draft and still have us in that sweet spot of being able to get one of Moehrig, Samuel JR, Bolton, or Z Collins, as well as getting a top notch RT and RB in Rd 2.

19 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I’m thinking he’s trying to maximize trade back value if one of fields/lance drops. I think you could get at least a 2022 first and 2-3 twos to trade back with WFT if they’re targeting a QB. That could set us up to be movers in next years draft and still have us in that sweet spot of being able to get one of Moehrig, Samuel JR, Bolton, or Z Collins, as well as getting a top notch RT and RB in Rd 2.

I want Moehrig if we're going to go safety in this draft. We'll probably have to move up to get him from our R2 pick but I like him a lot.

• Like 1

If we create a lot of buzz about us taking a QB, wouldn’t teams want to trade ahead of us instead of with us?... I think Paton is going to end up trading down too but I don’t know if building up QB interest is a ploy to get more value. I think he’s genuinely doing his homework on every qb prospect. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 7:52 AM, Broncofan said:

With MG3 gone next year as a UFA (and remember there's the spectre of the DUI suspension - charges dismissed on a technicality, it's a matter of record he was drunk and behind the wheel) - it almost certainly means Paton will draft a RB.   The question is how much capital will he invest.

I'd certainly back Javonte Williams at 2.8 - that's what it will take, though.  He's likely to be a top 40-50 pick - he won't be sliding to Rd3, being one of the top-tier RB's with draft helium (Etienne / Harris are the other 2).     

If it's that tier though - I'm ok with waiting until 4.9 or later.   At that range, guys that could be there that I'd be firmly behind - Trey Sermon, Kylin Hill, and of course, Jared Patterson.   If Chuba Hubbard falls that far, while his 2020 film is scary, the 2019 film is worth a shot.   And given the uncertainty of 2021 evaluation, there's probably several others.

I like Sermons as a pure RB but he hasn't shown much as a receiver so may not fit Shurmer's system. One guy I'm watching is Rhamondre Stevenson, he's a really big back in the mode of Derrick Henry. He's a power back but produces. I could see him in the 4th. I like Hubbard too, think he's fit in well with this offense.

With the Fuller signing, I'm that much more excited for the draft. Surtain/Farley are no longer the "chalk" picks at 1.9 and there are so many routes we could go. Now, the Fuller deal is only 1 year so that obviously doesn't exclude one of those picks but makes it much less likely.

I'm still on the "lets take a QB" train (assuming no Watson, and with the recent allegations, that option has soured for me tbh) and wouldn't be disappointed with a trade up for one of the top 4. Atlanta at 4 is begging a team to trade up with them. This team is too talented to roll into next season gambling it all on Drew Lock at this point and I really believe that one of Wilson/Fields and slightly lesser degree, Lance, are talented enough to trade up for.

Now, I also am super open to trading down as well. Trading with say, NE, grab 1.15 (Paye, possibly still one of Surtain/Farley if they drop) and some extra picks would be solid. Dropping further even, to, say, CHI, I think there are still gonna be talented players at the edge/ILB position (Rosseau, Paye, Phillips, JOK/Collins) along with even more picks (and honestly, if we pick up a first next year for CHI... that could easily turn into a top 5 pick next year).

Even if we sit on 1.9 and take Parsons, I'd feel pretty good about this team heading into the season.

• Like 1

I have no reason to think Allbright is off base when he predicts that Paton will move back.  I don’t see the 4 QB’s falling.   A move back if teams in the 20’s want to get Mac Jones would ge the final piece in a dream offseason.    So excited either way. 

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

I like Sermons as a pure RB but he hasn't shown much as a receiver so may not fit Shurmer's system. One guy I'm watching is Rhamondre Stevenson, he's a really big back in the mode of Derrick Henry. He's a power back but produces. I could see him in the 4th. I like Hubbard too, think he's fit in well with this offense.

Keep in mind the OSU system doesn’t require the RB to catch the ball much. The same Q were raised on Zeke Elliott and JK Dobbins and Carlos Hyde.   None of them proved to be a problem (Hyde being closest to neutral).   Zeke and Dobbins are fine there.  

I get the concern but keep in mind the system hides their abilities - it doesn’t mean they are lacking here.    What really hurts are the lack of Combine and in person visits this year, they would show off those skills (or lack thereof).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1