2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

7 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I do not want to trade down with New England. They somehow always find a way to get more for less in trades. Let’s pick on a more desperate GM who actually has to make the splash to keep their job if there is one of those offers out there.

Let's keep stealing from Chicago 😂

Plus they will still probably have a good value pick next year unlike the Pat's will have

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dbrog24 said:

Plus they will still probably have a good value pick next year unlike the Pat's will have

I like that plan! Although it is five picks later than New England, to jump to 9 they should have to pay a heavy price.

42 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

40 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I like that plan! Although it is five picks later than New England, to jump to 9 they should have to pay a heavy price.

I would be  shocked if it’s NE they moves up.  Because so many teams behind them can’t realistically get him unless they move way up.   And keep in mind SF at 13 might be seen as a threat.   

I’d have no problem moving back to 20.   Or 28 with NO.  Because they’d have to pay a mint to move up.   A 2022 1st and at least a 2022 2nd, likely more.   Chicago would need to pay a 2022 1st plus more picks.   This is one draft where if you aren’t attached to 1 position (and Rd1 you shouldn’t be unless it’s a QB you believe in), the gap between 15-30 isn’t that high, because of all the uncertainty and lack of extra draft evaluation normally seen. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Who's he? It's the time of year where you guys have to start educating m on the college kids.

Elite pass-catching back out of Memphis. There were some questions about his straight line speed, but he ran low 4.4’s at his pro day, while weighing in at 10 lbs heavier than his listed playing weight (he’s up to 200 lbs.) Not much of a blocker though, which would be a problem. 

I know what everyone is going to say about not taking a RB round 1, lack of positional value, etc etc.  But the more I see about how this team is getting put together, and assuming they are not taking a QB at 1.9 (or trade up), the more excited I get about the thought of Najee.  He may not be Elite, but he is a very good all around back with an extremely low floor. Absolute Bell Cow 3 down back. Put hi back there with MG3 and just POUND THE BALL.   You want Lock to improve next year, give him Najee.  Trade down to mid-lower teens, pick up a 3rd, get your ILB, Safety, RT and Edge in 2,3,3,4, and your set this year and next.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Any chance Kenny Gainwell gets to 3.7?

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Elite pass-catching back out of Memphis. There were some questions about his straight line speed, but he ran low 4.4’s at his pro day, while weighing in at 10 lbs heavier than his listed playing weight (he’s up to 200 lbs.) Not much of a blocker though, which would be a problem. 

He’s one of the guys who could be the next Antonio Gibson.   Worth a day 3 shot for sure.  I think he falls to Rd3.   Pretty clear the top 3 guys.   After that, who knows - but I’d almost guess UNC’s Carter will go ahead of him, hence the fall to Rd3-4 range. 

If nothing else he’s got a great name.   Who wouldn’t want a RB named Gainwell? 

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Bears signing Andy Dalton absolutely doesn't rule them out of a QB draft pick IMO. I could see a trade of #9 for #20, #52 and Nick Foles.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I'd charge way more for that move it's a qb lol

There's no way we are dropping back from 9 to 20 for a 2nd round pick if a QB is on the board that teams want to move up for.  Foles has negligible value. 

If we're dropping back to the 19 spot or later, given it's for a QB - I'll plant my flag that we're getting a 2022 1st as the minimum. 

The only reason we got sub-book value with PIT when we moved from 10 to 20 - they were the only team that wanted to move up that far.    Teams won't overpay for a non-QB (unless you're NO and wanting to move up for a pass rusher lol).    Teams absolutely overpay on book value if it's a QB.

If only one team wants to move up for Mac Jones to get past SF/NE, sure, we could end up considering a below book offer.   If there are teams like WFT, CHI & NO (and yes, NO is heavily linked) - then the price is going to be at least book value, which would be at least a 1st - frankly, it might be 1.20, a 1st and a 3rd.

Now, if 5 QB's (top 4 plus Jones) go in the first 8 picks - then we're stuck.   But then I don't see CHI moving up to 1.9, either.   GM Pace & HC Nagy are on the hot seat, so getting a QB is the only way Pace saves his job, if the Bears don't improve (and it sure doesn't look good for them on that front).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

Here's a couple of thoughts about the upcoming draft. The first thought is, with the defense being upgraded, we have what appears to be a top flight secondary, so CB isn't a high priority anymore. A coverage LB is something that could easily be addressed with Parson or Zaven Collins, giving us a what should be a top 10 LB crew. However, this could also be reached with a healthy Justin Strnad, easily what we drafted him for last year. However, only the Broncos staff have knowledge of his status. Signing S.Harris has solidified our starting Dline, so hard to see the #9 pick going there either and don't see a worthy prospect on the DL until 15ish pick.  The offense has enough young prospect outside of two RT and QB. Sewell will be gone, Slater does fill a need but I doubt he'll be the pick either. We'll look at QB later on.

We also have the option to trade back, a propensity show by the Vikings while Paton was part of the staff., I wouldn't be surprised. Given we've put it out there we're interested in QB prospects at our pick, there should be several suitors looking to trade up. I am not a huge fan of Mac Jones, but a QB-needy team like the Pats, CHI or NO could easily look to jump in and create a bidding war that would be beneficial to us. If Trey Lance is still on board at our pick, I think we may select him, the FO did make a special trip to see his Pro Day. There is a small chance Fields may fall too, but in that instance, trades would happen above us IMO as he has been projected as a top 5 pick but stranger things have happened, if he's there, he's our new QBOTF. Now if Mac Jones is there and he doesn't meet the teams QB requirements ( I'm not sure he's any better than Lock, just my opinion) then we make a trade down to acquire a future 1st, and a 2nd or 3rd in this draft. That would do two thing. 1) continue to fufill our current needs in building our D and 2) give us future picks to us to trade for Watson, Wilson or whoever pops up, including a draft prospect next year.

Last option, we could try and trade up for a QB ourselves. Doubt we could get Lawrence, but if we could trade up for Wilson, Fields or even Lance that may be the BEST option given our young offense as QB is our biggest missing piece. I'd be OK trading next years 1st+ for our QBOTB. We could play Lock this year while the rookie learns, then trade him to recoups some assets next year.

So thoughts or pick your poison ??

Edited by Cutler06

I have been on board for a Zaven Collins trade down for a few months now, and still am in my fantasy world. But I also think we may be really high on Strand and just run with him there. 

Zaven is a special prospect in my eyes. His combo of coverage and blitzability is exactly what you want in a LB. He has an elite motor, elite zone coverage instincts, great HWS metrics, super coachable kid, scheme versatility, etc. I think he is going to be a hell of a player. I think I may be too honed in on him right now due to 'my guy' bias, but he just seems like the finishing piece for a hell of a defense. 

• Like 1