2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

5 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

It is a brutal schedule but most games (outside of the top 5-8 teams)  are at least somewhat winnable unless you’re just really bad, poorly coached or don’t try. Other teams will have injuries, down weeks, fluky turnovers etc.  So I could see a scenario where we win a couple close ones, maybe one eye-opening blowout win to over-react to like the Texans last year. With the rate of injuries though it does get harder and harder. This team fights hard but missing pieces at every level is too much to overcome. What is the strength of this team right now? Our safeties being great? Not a good sign. 

Oh yeah, I’m not predicting a 3-13 record, but I think we’re dogs in every remaining game. 6-10 is absolute ceiling, unless Drew Lock really breaks out. 

• Like 1

This team isn't drafting a QB in R1.  With the uncertainty of the ownership situation and how much has been invested into making sure we are a competitive team into 2021 and 2022 things would have to be absolutely catastrophic to end the season for us to go QB in R1.. and probably not even then. 

The more likely scenario is we bring in a veteran (Winston, Brisset, etc.) to compete with Lock next season, go BPA in the draft, fill holes in free agency, and blame the disappointment of this season on injuries and 2020.  IMO, this FO *really* doesn't have the stomach to suffer through the growing pains of another young QB.  This entire team was constructed for the 2021-2022 season and I just can't imagine Elway selecting a tier-two R1 QB (who wouldn't/shouldn't start week one) with so many other holes on this roster.  Much more likely they improve QB play by stabilizing the offensive line, fix the two problem spots (RT & Cush) whether that's through Y2 improvement (Cush) and IR returns (James) or through the draft and free agency.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

This team isn't drafting a QB in R1.  With the uncertainty of the ownership situation and how much has been invested into making sure we are a competitive team into 2021 and 2022 things would have to be absolutely catastrophic to end the season for us to go QB in R1.. and probably not even then. 

The more likely scenario is we bring in a veteran (Winston, Brisset, etc.) to compete with Lock next season, go BPA in the draft, fill holes in free agency, and blame the disappointment of this season on injuries and 2020.  IMO, this FO *really* doesn't have the stomach to suffer through the growing pains of another young QB.  This entire team was constructed for the 2021-2022 season and I just can't imagine Elway selecting a tier-two R1 QB (who wouldn't/shouldn't start week one) with so many other holes on this roster.  Much more likely they improve QB play by stabilizing the offensive line, fix the two problem spots (RT & Cush) whether that's through Y2 improvement (Cush) and IR returns (James) or through the draft and free agency.

Welcome to Denver, Fitzmagic!

• Like 1

Curious what everyone thinks of Kyle Trask and if he jumps into the top 3 QB consideration?  I'll be honest I haven't watched him play a full game and only have seen his numbers, which are very impressive.  Trask climbing the board obviously helps us as if we decide to grab a new QB gives us an option, or it allows another positional player to fall to us.  

1 hour ago, IronJ said:

Curious what everyone thinks of Kyle Trask and if he jumps into the top 3 QB consideration?  I'll be honest I haven't watched him play a full game and only have seen his numbers, which are very impressive.  Trask climbing the board obviously helps us as if we decide to grab a new QB gives us an option, or it allows another positional player to fall to us.  

He's firmly in the third tier (fourth if you want to put Lawrence in his own I guess) for me. 

Tier 1- Lawrence, Fields

Tier 2- Wilson, Lance

Tier 3- Mac Jones, Trask

He's playing really good football but his physical tools are pretty average. Good size, solid athleticism and an average arm. I see him as a late first, early second type guy and maybe a lateral move from lock so not super interested.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Really wish Trey Lance had transferred to a competitive D1 program like his teammate Jabril Cox. 

No kidding.  A buddy of mine coaches in the Missouri Valley against both Wentz and Lance.  Said Lance is more difficult to game plan because of his running and that as a prospect Lance has the higher ceiling, but that Wentz was much more polished and ready to step into the pro game.

Serious Q - setting aside the Lock Q for now and if either guy is worth an early Rd1 pick - does anyone think Elway would even consider a Lance or Wilson type QB?   We know he said Kyler didn’t fit what they are looking for.   Guys who win with their legs as much as their arms.  And who don’t fit the classic QB profile.  

Lot of respect for what Elway brings as a GM but he’s always had a blind spot for tall, big arm pocket passer types.    Wonder if that philosophy will ever change.   

Edited by Broncofan

44 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Serious Q - setting aside the Lock Q for now and if either guy is worth an early Rd1 pick - does anyone think Elway would even consider a Lance or Wilson type QB?   We know he said Kyler didn’t fit what they are looking for.   Guys who win with their legs as much as their arms.  And who don’t fit the classic QB profile.  

Lot of respect for what Elway brings as a GM but he’s always had a blind spot for tall, big arm pocket passer types.    Wonder if that philosophy will ever change.   

I think the size and arm of Lance fit what he likes. 

31 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I think the size and arm of Lance fit what he likes. 

I am useless as a scout, but the one thing that worries me about Lance is NDSU is the Alabama of the FCs.  They have such a higher level of talent than most teams they play.   I watch quite a bit of them, and Montana State has played them in the playoffs back to back years.  Absolutely brutal. I think that makes evaluating Lance extremely difficult 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I could see him getting enamored by either guy. Lance obviously fits the physical profile, huge, athletic, great arm, but I think he needs a lot of refinement as a passer. That leads me to lean in the other direction. What's the point of investing in all these resources (Jeudy, Hamler, Albert O, Fant, Sutton) if they're not going to get targets? It just feels like a luxury.

Wilson on the other hand, I feel like he could step right in and utilize our entire arsenal. He's got solid size, can move around when necessary and can make some special throws.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility if one of those guys are there come draft day.

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Lance, maybe. He’s got the arm talent and the size, and Elway’s never been scared of prioritizing those attributes in a QB over things like, uhh, accuracy and decision-making. 
Zach Wilson, no chance. Only 6’3” and non-elite arm strength.

43 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Lance, maybe. He’s got the arm talent and the size, and Elway’s never been scared of prioritizing those attributes in a QB over things like, uhh, accuracy and decision-making. 
Zach Wilson, no chance. Only 6’3” and non-elite arm strength.

In his list of attributes he looked for in a QB, Bill Walsh has arm strength at about # 5 or 6. He did pretty well with Montana and Young. Both very smart, athletic and accurate.